PDA

View Full Version : Should we save Polynesian for a summer trip?

AmandaChan
08-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I've pretty much narrowed it down to either the Port Orleans French Quarter or Polynesian for an early December trip (do you think it's too late for to get a room for these hotels? We always plan our trips last minute).

And I was wondering since Polynesian is more of a tropical resort maybe we should hold out going to that one until we can go in the summer?

Also what do you dislike/like most about the Port Orleans French Quarter resort?

faline
08-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't think it matters what time of year you stay at the Poly. If that's your first choice and it's within your budget, go for it!

SBETigg
08-07-2008, 12:02 PM
The Polynesian is a lovely place to stay at any time of year. Port Orleans French Quarter is also very charming. I prefer the ease of being at the Poly's location, so I would always pick that one, but for the price POFQ is an excellent choice.

Septbride2002
08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Doesn't matter one bit - if you can afford the Poly then I reccomend it for a December trip because it has better decorations.

~Amanda

ThanxForNoticin
08-07-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't think it matters what time of year you stay at the Poly. If that's your first choice and it's within your budget, go for it!

I agree. Both resorts are pretty different. Poly is a fabulous place with non-bus transportation available to MK and EPCOT. If you plan to spend a lot of time in those parks, it's a nice convenience. The restaurants at Poly ('OHana and Kona) are outstanding, too. Good luck with your choice and have a great time. I wouldn't wait too much longer to make arrangements, though.

tikiman
08-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Well we did our first December trip in 2006 and we stayed at the Dolphin and Polynesian. I always like the location of the Polynesian to get to all the parks but I will say that I did feel that the colder weather took away from my experience at the Polynesian. My opinion would be skip the Polynesian in the winter.

I was not able to enjoy the pools or the beach like we do in the summer or spring. Also I missed walking the grounds on the warm summer nights. It just did not feel the same to me and it did not feel like Christmas.

Lizzie
08-07-2008, 12:37 PM
For me staying at a deluxe would be a special treat. And I would want to enjoy everything it has to offer especially the pools and I don't think I would do it in December because we wouldn't use the pool as much. But if your not a swimmer I would go for it.

Mousemates
08-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Just a couple thoughts...

1. Coming from Ohio, a cool day for Orlando in December might seem like shorts and a tank top to you. We like to go down for New Years (from Tenn) and what some folks from warmer environs consider cold seems nice to us.

2. When it is cold (like it was on January 2nd this year) monorail service is much nicer than waiting an indetermined amount of time for a bus.

Figment78
08-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I love the Poly. I really do. It has soooo much going for it.

However, I have stayed at the Poly at Christmastime and I have stayed at Wilderness Lodge at Christmas. I would choose WL over Poly if your only consideration is "atmosphere." Poly is at its best in the summer/spring/early fall.

But, if you are looking for convenience, Poly is definitely very convenient to MK and Epcot if you prefer non-bus transportation.

Or, if this is your only trip (but it doesn't sound like it is) and you can afford the poly - definitely stay there!

I've never stayed at POFQ, so I can't comment. However, I'm sure that all the Disney resorts are nice!