PDA

View Full Version : Our Son Earns His Ears! Day Three

spb
08-06-2008, 10:11 PM
4/28/08 Monday at EPCOT

Cast: DS almost 4 years old, DH 31, and myself 30

We started the day with breakfast in the room from the groceries we had bought. DS really loved the apple butter! After eating, we were on our way to the parks! DS took off into a jog ahead of us, down the hallway to the elevator. He was ready to go every morning!

We walked to EPCOT and arrived by around 10:00, the earliest we ever make it! Our first stop was the Land for Soarin’. It was confirmed DS was indeed not quite tall enough to ride, so we child swapped. What a great ride! Even better than I remembered! DH chose not to ride immediately after me and we headed to Living With the Land. Our son loved this ride, particularly the greenhouse and the strawberries, jackfruit and “baby bok choy” within! It was one of his favorites of the trip. He was very excited to find out we were going to the restaurant above (Garden Grille) and could probably eat some food that had grown here. Before lunch we also did Circle of Life and the Living Seas (I still want to call it by it’s old name). The Nemo updates are cute; but I think the sunset that was previously on the outside of the building should have been left alone. A few fish could have been subtly added to the scene. Turtletalk is really amusing despite the irksome Crush lingo. DS LOVED the sea turtles in the aquarium, as well as the dolphin. As we were leaving through the gift shop for lunch, DS picked out some more souvenirs for family back home. He did this in nearly every store, something was bound to remind him of a loved one! Very sweet; but we didn’t buy most of what he picked up!

Back at the Land, we had a small wait for our ADR and got to witness a real scene. From the bathroom across from the waiting area for Garden Grille we heard a woman shout profanities several times. Then she came running out, followed by her scared little girl, and continued shouting at her husband that she’d fallen and cut her arm. The husband had no reaction and the woman went back inside the bathroom! Oh, my! Our lunch at Garden Grille was perfect! We will definitely return next trip. The menu of flank steak, chicken, catfish, green beans, corn bread, and cheese potato casserole was delicious! Especially the last two items…I love my carbs! DS nuggets and mac n’ cheese were also quite good. Dessert was strawberry (yay for our son!) cream puff pastry and a decorate it yourself cupcake for our little guy. There was a gummy worm amongst the toppings and our little son loved it so much, he talked about it for the rest of the trip! Mickey came over and frosted the cupcake then placed the cherry on top for DS! He loved that! The Mickey in GG is the cutest with his little plaid shirt and overalls. DS was obsessed with Chip n’ Dale this trip, so meeting them was a huge thrill! Chip sat and colored with him for awhile which he found hysterical. Really great character interactions. And I can’t say enough about how cozy it is to be able to look down into the LWTL ride while you eat. This is a new favorite restaurant for us!

After lunch, we headed to Figment. DS loved Figment; but not his ride. I’m with him on that…the old JII is so much better. Our son disliked it because of the loud train and explosion effects and skunk scent. “Why Figment wanted to be a skunk?” he asked several times that day. For some reason we then took him to Honey I Shrunk the Audience. We knew how real he thought the effects were from Philharmagic, so why we brought him to a 3d with frightening scenes, I just don’t know! He was not amused, particularly by the tiger and the water spray from the dog’s sneeze….he asked about these things happening again before several rides throughout the rest of the trip. Poor little guy.

The boys then headed to the Test Track showroom while I went to Mousegears. I love that store! When I met the guys back at TT, I found my son in all his glory. As mentioned before, cars are his favorite thing, so the showroom was a dream for him. He “test drove” each one. After TT, we headed to Ellen. Our son really liked the dino scenes; but the rest of the ride he seemed a bit bored with. Spaceship Earth was next for us. DS took in the scenery this trip instead of using it for his “nap ride” as he did last time as a one year old. I love the updates in this ride, especially the ending! Mine and my son’s faces were chosen for the “your future” film. Too cute!

We found the 25th anniversary display in Innoventions and really, really enjoyed that. I wanted to linger and take lots of photos, so DH took our son to Ice Station Cool for a soda treat. DS is obsessed with soda because he is very rarely allowed to have a little! We met back at the Land so DH could use his Soarin’ childswap pass. Our son brought with him some lemon soda and had really liked the apple, too. We chatted with a nice Mom and her little girl while we waited for DH. So many friendly people!

With Future world done, we headed to World Showcase and rode the Mexico and Norway boat rides. DS seemed to prefer Mexico. I didn’t mind the renovations because the Three Caballeros are outdated enough to keep the ride feeling old timey. Can you tell I don’t like change?! We also shopped in Japan and Germany. DS found some little erasers in the form of various desserts and just had to have them, especially the pink popsicle! Our son also found a Mercedes Benz matchbox car in Germany that he went crazy for and I found the cutest guinea pig Steiff! I love finding a new Steiff for my collection in Der Teddybear because that shop is just so cozy.

We had decided to watch Illuminations another night; but the check out with the rewards card in Japan had taken so long we ended up seeing it as we strolled out of the park…no complaints there! Along the way we did see another not very nice scene involving a screaming father dragging his upset son behind him, reporting to his wife that their son had ”busted up his knee and split his pants!” It’s a long, hot day folks; but come on!

Back on the Boardwalk, and heading to pick up Spoodle’s cheese pizza for dinner, our little son said, “It’s nice to be in Walt Disney World.” So cute! We had our delicious pizza in our room at around 10:30! Our lunch had filled us up too much to eat earlier; but now we were starving. I don’t think I’ve ever seen DS eat pizza that fast, two pieces gone in a flash! We even had some dessert of the cupcake, cheesecake brownie, and a bit of the lollipop we had gotten on the first two days of our trip! Yes, we made ourselves sick; but it tasted so good at the time! “I love it here!” Our Son exclaimed during dinner. We do too, little one! Then, without digesting, we were off to dreamland!

Up Next: Meeting up with some family in Downtown Disney followed by Cape May and beachfront movies at Yacht and Beachclub!

the other micki
08-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the report! I'm really enjoying them!

Lizzie
08-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Another great day. Thanks for the report.

mouseketeer mom
08-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Garden Grill is one of our favorites too! It is just soooo good. Thanks for sharing another terrific day.

tinkerbell04
08-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I am really enjoying your reports, I can tell that you had a great time. Thanks for sharing them!

ChipnDaleGal
08-07-2008, 12:06 PM
The Garden Grill has been our favorite character meal since my daughter was very young. It feels like we are soming home when we return to it now. I am so glad your family has also discovered how special it is. Sounds like you had a really fantastic Epcot Day. Thank you for sharing it with us. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a great day

#1disneyfan
08-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for sharing your reports. Sounds like you had a great day. Your DS's comments are too cute, and remind me of our first trip with DD to WDW. She was the same age, it is the best, cherish your wonderful memories!

pdrlkr
08-08-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

faline
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
You and your family have a very nice touring style! Great, descriptive reports! :thumbsup:

daparish
08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Sounds like your son is having a great time. Thanks for the report.

DizNee143
08-13-2008, 11:40 AM
another great day for you and your family!! sounds like you all really enjoyed epcot! :mickey:

laward32
08-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the report. I've got to try Garden Grill. My sis and niece love it, but we've never tried it. Glad you had another great day, other than the "scenes" you had to witness. Those are definately not Intercot folks. We take our Disney time seriously. No fighting and yelling at our kids.:mickey:

January-2007
10-15-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks for reporting! :mickey:

yjgirl32
10-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Great report. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time. I might have to look into the Garden Grill for our next trip- especially since my aunt will be along with us and she use to live on a farm- she would think that's really great!

spb
10-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Thank you all for your comments. Yjgirl, you should definitely try Garden Grille!