PDA

View Full Version : How do you ride the main street vehicles?

Momto3littlemice
08-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi all,

We have been to Disney many times and always see those jitney, horse drawn buggies etc going down main street. I know you can ride them and that they are included with cost of admission but where exactly do you go if you want to do this? I've never noticed one loading or a line or anything.

Thanks!:mickey:

Lynn J Mc
08-06-2008, 04:21 PM
You board them at the top and bottom of Main Street and you can only travel one way. you have to get off at the next stop.

Eeyore's Pal
08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
There are signs if you look closely. They don't jump out at you.

AmandaChan
08-06-2008, 08:51 PM
When my husband and I got to Magic Kingdom one day there was a guy standing at the turnaround with the old fashioned car and asked us if we wanted to take a ride. We were wearing our bridge and groom mickey ears so I'm thinking he kind of spotted them and picked us out. It was pretty magical, though. Some people pointed at us and said 'awww they're married!'

magicofdisney
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
There is also a trolley looking vehicle and an old fire truck. One day my kids and I were walking by and one of my girls asked the driver if we could take a ride. He said sure, hop on in. We got in right near the entrance/exit up front, drove up around the castle and he brought us back to the front again. It was super cool. This just happened back in May and it was special for us because we'd never done this before and we've been going regularly for quite a while now. :mickey:

CaptSmee
08-06-2008, 09:21 PM
we haven't ridden the vehicles, but it's fun to watch them go by! and I love the Trolley show in the morning! "comin' right down the middle of main street USAAAAAAAA!!!":mickey:

Mousemates
08-06-2008, 11:50 PM
I know most of the time folks are in a hurry to get where they are going and run past them (we usually do) but they are worth an occasional ride if they time out right and they do set a nice tone for the day.

trudisneygal
08-07-2008, 12:39 AM
DH and I rode one this past Dec one morning when we didn't want to be in a hurry. We got on the horse driven trolley/cart(?) and it was so nice! It was fun to ride up to the castle for a change. It took us right up to the circle (in front of the castle) and dropped us off. If you have a chance, do it.

joelkfla
08-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Don't know if this has changed recently, but it used to be:

The horse-drawn trolley loads at Town Square, almost dead center in front of the Main Street Train Station. You'll often see guests waiting for it. It only runs in the morning, and stops running during the Trolley Show and any other Main Street processions.

The double-decker bus loads in front of Tony's.

The smaller vehicles load in front of City Hall.

There are small signs at the load points, about the size of your typical "No Parking" sign.

homeschool mom
08-07-2008, 08:55 AM
We are usually in too much of a hurry to ride on those vehicles. However, we have ridden on the horse drawn trolley and on one trip we rode in some sort of a car. We are a family of 7 so it was a large car. It was a lot of fun and a change from the norm for us. Both times we actually just got there at the right time. We didn't look for the vehicles. I saw the double decker "bus" a lot on our last trip and would like to try it sometime.

If you want to take the time, I would reccomend you try it.

Imagineer1981
08-07-2008, 06:12 PM
man, I need to ride these, never have done it

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
man, I need to ride these, never have done it

I was thinking the same thing! As many times as I've gone I don't ever remember riding them. If the crowds are as low as they are supposed to be when we get there, maybe we'll take the time to ride them.

Main Street Jim
08-08-2008, 09:47 AM
The Main Street vehicles are hardly used any more, with the exception of the Trolley. Thing is, there is so much *entertainment* now on Main Street - Trolley shows, Castle shows, streetmosphere, etc. - it's hard for the vehicles to navigate the street any more. The vehicles can't just *run* through the entertainment, especially Trolley and Castle shows. When I was a driver, I *always* had the Fire Truck out - before they started using it exclusively for the Family Fun Day Parade (which is ending soon - yaaay! I mean, *darn*...). You *might* catch the Omnibus (double decker bus) on the weekends, or during the week, first thing in the morning, but after about 10am, it's tough to drive the vehicles with all of the entertainment going on. Trust me - I was a Main Street vehicles Trainer ;)

Momto3littlemice
08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the responses! Now I want to ride one even more when I hear that they are becoming less easy to get on. I wonder if they will stop running them all together? That would be disappointing since they always add so much to the atmosphere of Main Street (my favorite part of WDW)!:mickey:

joelkfla
08-10-2008, 11:38 PM
The Main Street vehicles are hardly used any more, with the exception of the Trolley.
Another reason to visit the original - Disneyland!