PDA

View Full Version : What to bring in the parks with older kids?

WDWCrazyKaren
08-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Ok, when I've taken my kids in the past, they were younger. Now, we'll have a 12 year old and a 16 year old. Last trip with adults only, DH carried only his wallet, and I carried a small over the shoulder purse that amounts to no more than a neck wallet. For the very first time ever, I didn't bring bags and strollers into the parks. Now that the kids are older, I really don't want to encumber myself again with "stuff". We don't bring our own food and water into the parks, we won't carry ponchos etc. Other than a few bandaids, moleskin and chapstick, do I really need to carry anything else? I'll lather my DD with sunscreen before we go (DH and DStepS are Native American--therefore they don't ever feel the need for sunscreen-even though they burn! I can't talk them into it). If we go to the water parks, of course I'll bring the sunscreen etc. But as far as the parks go, do I really need to drag things around? Does ANYONE go light??

KAT1811
08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Although our two little ones are 3 and 1 and we still bring our "stuff" for them we don't find that we need anything for our oldest DD (11). The only thing we bring is a sweatshirt or sweater for nighttime when it cools down a bit. Other than that I don't think you need to lug anything around the parks. Even that I would say you could store in a locker at the fron of the parks until/if you need it.

disneymom15
08-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I have a cross body small bag that I carry. In it I hve a camera, cell phone, money, park tickets, glasses and I hang an umbrella from the strap. That's all we bring into the parks.

NJGIRL
08-06-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm with you! We don't take any food or water. I don't think the pain of carrying those things are worth it.

The only thing I take is money, a credit card, keys, advil and a small camera in a case. Everything can fit into the camera case so there's no need to carry a backpack!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
We travel light in the parks.

As soon as DD got passed the stroller stage, we just carried room keys, $20, benedryl (never know when you're going to need it our family) and some band-aids.

Makes for quick entry, skipping the bag lines and an easier trip all day!

shepherdgirl
08-07-2008, 03:17 PM
We go light as well with our older kids, who are now 12. Not having a bag is so nice, especially when entering the parks. We've never thought, "Oh, I wish we had ..."