PDA

View Full Version : Help with new computer & Ipod

mrsgaribaldi
08-06-2008, 02:01 AM
I got a new computer. I want to transfer everything on my Ipod to the new computer. It only transferred a few songs. How do I transfer pictures from the Ipod to the new computer? Can this be done? Thanks:mickey:

J9
08-06-2008, 07:18 AM
The best (and really only) way to do this is to:

1) Delete everything off of the ipod (NOT off of the computer!!!!)

2) Put the ipod in disk drive mode instead of music mode (I believe you do this through iTunes)

3) Copy all of the source files from your computer to the ipod. (Depending on what size your ipod is and how many files you have, you may have to do it in spurts)

4) Then copy all the source files off your ipod and onto the new computer.

It's really annoying because other than copying, there is no way to get stuff your purchased on one computer to show up on the other.

I haven't done this in a while, so I can't remember the exact steps, but there should be some more information in the help section of itunes or on the apple website. If you're not sure exactly of what to do, DON'T do it because you might wind up losing everything and that is not good. LOL!

dac921
08-06-2008, 07:23 AM
there is an easier way, just go to best buy, circuit city or radio shack and buy a computer to computer transfer lead. you can bring all the information from one computer to the other via file folder... including everything that you have on your iPod.

The lead cost around 20 bucks

BigRedDad
08-06-2008, 10:42 AM
I am not 100% sure what you are trying to do. You can link the 2 computers via a cross-over cable as suggested above. Another option, which I recommend, is getting an external drive and transfer the data to it. This serves multiple purposes and the cost is low. This allows you to move data between two systems easily (easier if you have a home network setup though) and it allows you to back up your computer. My neighbor found out the hard way the issue of not backing up his harddrive. They lost irreplaceable pictures and videos. They are spending $$$ to try to get any bits of the data back from the platters.

ElenitaB
08-06-2008, 08:02 PM
To transfer your music, folders and pictures, you need to do more than just copy the files. The music and pics will port over to your new computer but not the folder structure that you have set up. On iTunes, search the help for "Moving your iTunes library to another computer." There's a related link to using your iPod to move your library. You'll also need to authorize your new machine to play music/movies that you've bought from the iTunes store.

I wholeheartedly agree that the best way to move your files is with an external drive and it will serve as a way to back up the drive on your new machine as well.