PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco 3-Day Tour

SBETigg
08-05-2008, 08:47 PM
I went to San Francisco for the Romance Writers of America conference. I had three days, much of it taken up by business meetings, workshops, and signings. I stayed at the Palace, though the conference was held at the Marriott San Francisco, so I spent a lot of time there, too.

I flew in and out of Oakland on the advice of a friend, and wow was I glad I did. It wasn't any further from my hotel than the SF airport, but it was small and easy to get in and out of- just a half hour through check-in and security to my gate at 9 am. Amazing. Two thumbs up for the Oakland airport.

Day One:
The Palace is a gorgeous hotel, but check-in was a bit of a nightmare. Way understaffed. We had a long wait in line to check in. Our room wasn't ready. To kill time, we had lunch in the garden, a lovely but pricey affair. They told us they would call when the room was ready, but they didn't- necessitating another forty-five minutes in line. I ended up being late for a meeting with booksellers and librarians at the Marriott.

The Marriott lobby area has a bar, but it was small and overcrowded with conference attendees. The 39th floor offered a comfortable spot for wine and snacks, The View, with plenty of seating and peace. It was a great place to unwind before the big signing, an event featuring over 200 authors with proceeds going to fight illiteracy. I'm always very proud to take part (and still in awe that people stand in line and want me to sign their books, wow).

Unfortunately, it was in the middle of the booksigning that I heard news from home. My grandmother suffered a stroke. I was too far away to do anything, and she was being cared for and in good hands. My mother insisted I stay and finish my conference. I reluctantly agreed. After the signing, I went with friends to dinner at Scala's Bistro in Union Square.

Scala's offers moderately priced and tasty Italian food, decent service, and comfortable ambience. It actually occupies the ground floor of the Sir Francis Drake hotel. Harry Denton's Starlight Bar, recommended by Samantha Brown in her Great Weekends show as a good place for cocktails, is on the top floor, but we never got there. Too tired.

At Scala's, I started with a corn-clam chowder, which was good but more like a potato soup with some corn and few clam pieces. My friend had the bruschetta and that was truly fabulous (better than her main dish, the rigatoni). I followed with the rack of lamb risotto, interesting and delicious, perfectly cooked lamb over risotto with spring vegetables. The revelation of the night was the salted caramel gelato. Salted? It sounded weird to us East Coasters in the bunch, but it was amazing, so so good.

We walked back to the Palace afterwards, which was fine but we got lost and the large number of homeless wandering the streets after dark caused us some degree of alarm before we found our hotel.

Day Two:
My morning/afternoon was free for sightseeing. I had publisher parties to attend later that night. I went to Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf. We saw Coit Tower, shopped, shopped, watched the seals, gawked at Alcatraz(sold out for tours about three weeks or more before the trip date), and ate lunch with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. A lovely day.

Day Three:
We started with more sightseeing. My friend insisted I ride a cable car. I wanted to get to Chinatown, but we ran out of time. Count on about two hours to wait in line and then ride the cable car. If you want a seat, you won't see as well. If you hang on to the rails, prepare to feel it in your arms and legs by the end of the run. But was fun, a uniquely SF experience, and I was glad I did it.

The rest of my day until evening was packed with workshops and meetings. In the evening, I went to a restaurant, First Crush, with friends. I have a feeling this is a hidden gem in SF. It was fabulous, with incredible food and service, but not very crowded. Our server was charming, attentive, and so helpful. We started with small plates and shared. The oysters, wow. Chili-glazed prawns, excellent. Prosciutto wrapped, grilled asparagus, subtle and perfectly done. The lobster mac-and-cheese, only okay, slightly pedestrian and not enough lobster. I chose a Don Miguel Pinot Noir to accompany from the extensive wine list, which was delicious, but they also offer wine flights.

Overall:

Despite the initial service issues, the Palace was a wonderful place to stay, comfortable and elegant. Housekeeping was efficient and thorough. Great location, close to Union Square and the Embarcadero. I would love to get back to the city with more time to try a Bay Cruise, to tour Alcatraz, and to head to Wine Country for some day tours. Scala's Bistro was decent but skippable. First Crush is recommended for a nice evening of wine, conversation, and small plates to share.

And my grandmother is doing much better now, slowly recovering, walking, talking, and I hope she will be home soon.

wdw_bound
08-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the info - I'll be at the downtown Marriott next month for a conference, and have made a note of your suggestions. I'm especially looking forward to Fisherman's Wharf and the seals. Based on your descriptions, I think I'll plan on hailing a cab at night!

SBETigg
08-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the info - I'll be at the downtown Marriott next month for a conference, and have made a note of your suggestions. I'm especially looking forward to Fisherman's Wharf and the seals. Based on your descriptions, I think I'll plan on hailing a cab at night!

The Marriott was nice, also a good location. Cabs at night are probably a good idea, but you should be okay for a few blocks (as long as you're not wandering aimlessly). Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, was about a $10-$12 cab ride. First Crush is very close to the hotel and the lobby concierge was very helpful with directions and recommendations.

Layer clothing. It could be very warm and then very chilly within a short period of time. The View lounge on the 39th floor did indeed have a wonderful view, with wine and cocktails around $12 more or less. If you want to ride a cable car, catch it in Union Square for a faster moving, shorter line than the Fisherman's Wharf location. Don't forget to purchase tickets (separate line) first.

murphy1
08-09-2008, 09:25 AM
I hope your grandmother is okay! I know that was scary news for you. I always love the way you describe food in your reports! You should write restaurant reviews, too! I'll keep the tips in mind, I really want to go out there (just have been through L.A.)