PDA

View Full Version : The Train at Animal Kingdom

Lynn J Mc
08-05-2008, 02:48 PM
We've never done the train and Conservation Station or whatever they are calling it these days. Does anyone recommend it? Participants would be me, my 7 yo niece, and my parents. Just wondering if it is worth the time.

Imagineer1981
08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Your niece would love it, as its educational and they have animals she can pet and watch vets at work with the wild animals, but I always found it just ok for adults

Mackflava99
08-05-2008, 02:53 PM
its fun, you should do it- also Pocahantas is there almost every day (check times)

BandMan
08-05-2008, 03:46 PM
If you like a petting zoo, fine. Otherwise, IMHO, it's just not worth the time.

DizneyRox
08-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Rafiki's Planet Watch is worth checking out at least once, however the train ride isn't terribly exciting, and once there, there's not all that much to do. If you happen to luck out on getitng a good view of a vet checkup or surgery, etc, goodo n you, however most of the time I get there, walk around, and then get right back on the train.

spiderkd
08-05-2008, 05:29 PM
It's a fun break from the main park, but having said that I have only been on it twice.

Although the first time (when the park was open for a sneak preview) was great, as I got to ride up front with the engineers. A very cool experience, apart from the fact that it was actually boiling hot :D

Mousemates
08-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Its okay...but its really just a train ride to a petting zoo most of the time. (thou it has been awhile since we did it...so maybe there is more to it now than there used to be).

Simba'sBud
08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
My DW and I actually enjoy this part of the park for 3 main reasons:

1. Conservation Station is LOADED with hidden Mickeys.

2. The petting zoo can still be fun for grown-ups, as we know from experience (and there's this one particular goat that's always trying to eat people's park maps).

3. We usually find something else really fun back there such as the talking trash can, which singled out my DW last Dec. and kept going on with her in front of the whole audience. It was so funny, I've even got some video of it.

Plus, as another poster stated, you are sure to find characters there such as Pocahontas, Rafiki, or even Jiminy Cricket.

Hope you guys have fun no matter what you do!

Marilyn Michetti
08-05-2008, 10:05 PM
A couple of things missed, would be the food preparation demonstrations, (they show what, and how much they feed each animal), and the backstage part of the train ride. You will ride past the night-time buildings, and see some of the animals that are in them for whatever reason.

There is also a walk from the train into Rafiki's that has tips on how to attract "friendly" insects and butterflies.

The last time we were there, the vets were examining a cheetah, under anesthesia, and welcomed questions as to what they were doing, and why. You can find out the schedules and maybe see a bear or lion getting it's teeth cleaned.

The interesting thing is that the veternarians treat any sick animal on Disney property, from a snake that swallowed to golf ball, to birds, etc. They have exhibits of what they've taken out of these animals, and how our environment is harming them.

Rafiki's is a virtual classroom, and I wouldn't miss it for anything. It's always interesting, and different.:train:

minnesotafreeze
08-05-2008, 10:27 PM
The Conservation Station is one of my favorite attractions at AK. I think it is interesting to see how they care for the animals and house them when they are not on exhibit. My opinion is if you are one of those people who think AK is a half day park and are not very interested in zoos then you probably would not enjoy the Conservation Station .:simba:

Lynn J Mc
08-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks for all the replies. We may give it a try.

AmandaChan
08-06-2008, 08:57 AM
My husband and I find it worth our time. We don't have any children and we always go on this train.. it's relaxing and the building is neat.

MidnTPK
08-06-2008, 10:07 AM
I can't believe nobody's mentioned "Song of the Rainforest", the 3-D/binaural sound show booths in the main building at Planet Watch..

In Song of the Rainforest you experience a variety of sound effects, all drawing from their origins in the Rainforest. The program is narrated by Grandmother Willow, of the Disney movie "Pocahontas." The program takes place in a dimly lit booth which seats 6 people, very similar to the Sound Booths at the Sounds Dangerous building in Disney-MGM Studios. Once the program begins, the room darkens more. It is a cool place to relax for a few minutes.

While not a E-Ticket attraction, I think little unique attractions like it are what really make Disney different than other parks.

ThanxForNoticin
08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
I can't believe nobody's mentioned "Song of the Rainforest", the 3-D/binaural sound show booths in the main building at Planet Watch.

I agree 100%. Rainforest is a very unique and fascinating attraction. Overall, the trip to RP is fun and worthwhile, especially with kids.

Ropachs
08-06-2008, 12:41 PM
We've been twice, once with and once without children. Wasn't worth our time either trip. If this was in our hometown, sure, I'd take the kids once in while. But we're at WDW and IMO there's so much more to do that's more fun and exciting to us. That said, you'll never know if YOU'LL like it unless you give it a shot. If there is enough time in your schedule, hop on the train :mickey:

Laughin' place
08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
We enjoy this secluded, low key part of the park, and the educational and "first hand" tyoe experiences are great. If you have the time (i.e., if you have seen the rest of AK), this is worthwhile.
On a somewhat negative note, however, the petting zoo is poor. My DW is a petting zoo fanatic, and her first trip here (June 08) was a disappointment. Disney could do MUCH better.

Marilyn Michetti
08-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I can't believe nobody's mentioned "Song of the Rainforest", the 3-D/binaural sound show booths in the main building at Planet Watch..

In Song of the Rainforest you experience a variety of sound effects, all drawing from their origins in the Rainforest. The program is narrated by Grandmother Willow, of the Disney movie "Pocahontas." The program takes place in a dimly lit booth which seats 6 people, very similar to the Sound Booths at the Sounds Dangerous building in Disney-MGM Studios. Once the program begins, the room darkens more. It is a cool place to relax for a few minutes.

While not a E-Ticket attraction, I think little unique attractions like it are what really make Disney different than other parks.

DH went into one of these on Dec., and since it wasn't busy, he was alone. Took a nice nap for about 20 min.:D

Daddy Mouse
08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
We enjoy the whole area. It is a nice place to escape the summer humidity. It is one of the areas of AK that kids could really enjoy.

Eeyore's My Favorite
08-06-2008, 10:25 PM
DH & I enjoy the train ride and try to get a chance to go on it every visit. The last 2 times we've been on it Rafiki has been in our car & I loved it. Got cute pics of him with DH & I. Then the last time we were there the talking trash can was entertaining all the kids & that was really cute. Overall we enjoy doing it because it's really relaxing. :mickey:

Giselle
08-07-2008, 10:52 AM
My 4yo DD loves the petting zoo (goats and sheep). And you can usually find Pocohantus and Rafiki there and sometimes Jiminy Cricket.

KAJUNKING
08-07-2008, 12:32 PM
ive only been once and it was on a trip with just me and my wife and i didnt hate it but didnt really love it either, but after raeding some of the other posts i think we will give it another try this year with the kids