PDA

View Full Version : Rides for little ones

fuzzy23
08-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I know this is a very hot topic, whether or not to bring your little ones. We are planning on bringing our little one when she is 19 mos. Exactly what rides would we be able to take her on.

mattandmandy
08-05-2008, 11:10 AM
It may be easier to find what rides she won't be able to ride:

http://intercot.com/infocentral/park/rideheight.asp

We are taking our 2 and 3 year old for the first time in December. We have never had a need to try it in our past trips but we will be trying the "parent swap" this time on the rides our toddlers can't ride. (I think that is what its called?)

minnie-mouse
08-05-2008, 11:49 AM
When our DD was 20 months old she liked Small World, Pooh Bear, the carousel (with mommy or daddy holding her, of course), Dumbo, MK train. Our DD didn't like the characters to come up close to her but she got excited to see them from afar.

disneygeek84
08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
She can ride anything without a height restriction. and even with those, if you or you DH would like to ride, you can do a baby swap. There are tons of rides with show themes she might recognize, like Pooh or anything from Playhouse Disney. So when you get closer to your trip, know what shows she enjoys and find where there might be a ride or show of that theme.

TwoTinyWings
08-05-2008, 03:57 PM
To echo disneygeek84, she can ride anything without a height restriction. She's at a good age for a lot of things - aware enough to really start enjoying things like IASW and Pooh, but maybe still young enough to not yet be too afraid of something like PotC. (It seems like, as they get older, they develop more fear of the dark, or of "spooky" things.) She will probably love Kilimanjaro Safaris (and the animal trails in AK), as well as the tried-and-true Fantasyland attractions, to name just a few. Of course, it's up to you to think about what she might enjoy most, and what she might not enjoy. I think the key to making things work - even "spooky" things - is to let your little ones know what's coming up next in the ride, so they aren't surprised. A great example of this is the "explosion" during JIIwF - the whoosh of air can be frightening, so let her know it's coming, and hold her tight.

I'll also echo what others have said about the baby swap/rider switch. We've used this in the past and, as a result, have had the chance to go on things like BTMRR that aren't doable for the little guys.

Hope you have a great trip!

Mousemates
08-05-2008, 04:43 PM
She can ride most of the rides...and will enjoy many of them...our DD's first trip was at the ripe old age of 20 months as well and she had a great time (except when pooh got a little too close to her personal space and set her off).

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
We took my seven WEEK old nephew on a lot of the rides. One word of advise is to bring a small flash light for the dark rides. You can shine it at your feet if they get scared.

kathiep
08-05-2008, 07:20 PM
My youngest was 21 months on her first trip. Among her favorites from that trip were the carousel, Pooh, Small World and Peter Pan. At that age, she even rode on Haunted Mansion without being frightened.

Remember at that age, everything is a wonder to them. Some of our favorite memories are doing some of the simpler things with her. She loved the fireworks and loved Mickey and Minnie's houses in ToonTown.

LisaP
08-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Check out Disney's site and search for Magical Beginnings. It offers a map of each park geared toward preschooler rides and attractions. Some do have height restrictions, but most are baby/toddler friendly.