PDA

View Full Version : Our Son Earns His Ears! Day Two

spb
08-04-2008, 11:03 PM
4/27/08 Sunday at Magic Kingdom
Cast: DS almost 4 years old, DH 31, and myself 30

We began the day with a 10:30 ADR at Chef Mickey’s. During the walk from the MK to the Contemporary, we scanned the bricks with family names along the path. We were hoping to find a brick we had seen last trip (and for some reason had not photographed!), another family’s that had mine and my son’s name on it! We did find it fairly easily because it was a pale brick amongst many dark ones. Picture taken, we headed to the restaurant. We love, love Chef Mickey’s! The cheddar potatoes and vanilla Mickey waffles were as delicious as always, and we really enjoyed the breakfast lasagna this time. Our little son loved the characters, particularly Goofy. Goofy is so tall and was the first to approach our table, so I wondered if there would be any fear on DS part; but there was none. A very cute and fluffy Donald, Pluto, Minnie, and a very anticipated Mickey soon followed. Our son also loved the brownie he got for dessert! I can’t even remember how many bunches of grapes he ate…he loved eating his favorite fruit sometimes twice a day this trip. BTW, lots of birds in Chef Mickey’s…cute, but probably not very sanitary.

We headed to MK after breakfast via monorail. How wonderful it felt to be on Main Street! The weather felt great, too. The entire week we were in WDW it was 75-80 and DRY! The only time we’ve ever experienced dry weather on a trip here was in January when it was also cold. This dry warmth felt so nice! It really made a difference with the pace we kept throughout the day, even if you just consider time saved by not having to reapply the sunblock that gets sweated off in that typical Fl humidity! We started in Tomorrowland with a Buzz fastpass followed by TTA, of course! If my Mom was with us, she’d ride that thing all day! We then moved to COP, which our son loved as much as he did last trip. From there, DS finally got on the Indy Speedway! Cars are his most favorite thing, so he had been anticipating this ride greatly. He did not want to leave after his ride was over! We distracted him by talking about Buzz and walking swiftly to the ride. A nice cold drink of water helped, too. Our little son thought it was pretty neat to have his own big bottle! DS loved Buzz, too, especially the spinning joystick.

We began walking to fantasyland and rode the teacups. While exiting the ride, we saw Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum! DS had just watched Alice a couple weeks earlier for the first time and loved it, so this was very exciting to him! The characters are so great with the kids…they high fived our son, signed his book, and posed for pictures. We were able to get lots of character autographs and photos this trip, which was very neat to our little son. There was a large group in front of us who requested group shots as well as individual ones and several autographs, and the characters were so good natured and patient! Next was grabbing a fastpass for Peter Pan. Crowds were very low this trip after the weekend passed (average of 10 minute waits); but Peter Pan continued to have a very long wait all week…no surprise there. A funny note here: during that walk into Fantasyland, even on a cool day the sun is wicked and DS had the exact same reaction as last trip, hemming and hawing in the very same spot! I can’t remember what order we did the following rides: Small World, Dumbo, Cinderella’s Carousel, and Mickey’s Philharmagic. DS loved them all! On Small World he exclaimed, “I’m having fun now!” Too cute! He got to ride in the pink Dumbo he had wanted. I think his reaction to Philharmagic was the cutest for us to watch, as he just couldn’t resist reaching for everything! “Why I can’t catch nothing?” he inquired later in the week about the 3d attractions.

We skipped lunch and just had dinner at Pecos Bill because we couldn’t get past feeling full from breakfast! We love Pecos Bill! The cheese sauce was back, too! I’m kind of obsessed with it, so I was really happy. Our son was hysterical with his burger. I had given him tomatoes and pickles on the side; but he stacked everything on and gobbled like a little man! Applesauce was very appealing to him again today; but that faded as the days passed.

Refreshed, we headed out to the nearby attractions. DS got measured at Thunder Mountain and we found out, to our disappointment, he just missed 40 inches! We hadn’t wanted to do BTMRW; but we couldn’t wait to experience Soarin’ as a family the next day…oh well, next trip! We did the Country Bears (Big Al’s song was a real hit with DS, as were the claw marks on the waiting room floor), Pirates, Tiki Room, and Haunted Mansion. The latter two rides freaked our son out a bit. HM somewhat expected; but I had forgotten about that Tiki goddess number. I have to say, as for me, I was not pleased with most of the HM updates. I had expected to really like the new features; but other than the Escher staircases and framed wedding photos in the attic, I do not think the renovations were well done. The glowing paintings in the entrance hall are just downright cheesy, as are the ghost family portraits in the “eye wallpapered” hallways. Great idea that was executed poorly. How neat it would have been to have little groups of ghostly family paintings, instead generic looking skulls repeated over and over again. Constance is also a great concept; but the way she is projected onto the bride form comes out all wrong. Shame. I still love this ride, though! At the shop outside the HM, we picked up a Mickey figurine I had fallen in love with the day before at the Boardwalk, apple butter for our english muffins, and a huge lollipop for our son. He was so thrilled with that lolli and went on and on about having it back at the hotel, refusing to eat it during the parade. He wound up not eating it until the next night, taking a few licks before putting it away…It’s still in our kitchen cupboard!

Before the Spectromagic parade began, we did do some more shopping in Tinkerbell’s and on Main Street…I love that Disney rewards card! The parade itself was so beautiful! Certain attractions remind me of family members, and I think my Gram would love Spectro. We opted to skip Wishes and see it another night. We got to bed around 11:00 or 11:30, pretty much our bedtime for the entire trip, and started dreaming about the next day!

Up Next: EPCOT!

mouseketeer mom
08-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Chef Mickey's is our favorite too! Another special day!

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Great Report:thumbsup:

Mackflava99
08-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Excellent report thanks for sharing-it sounds like you are having alot of fun

Lizzie
08-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Sounds like another fun day full of great memories.

#1disneyfan
08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Another wonderful day!

I am going to have to try a trip with that dry warmth instead of wet, sticky, extreme heat! We always go in the summer and it is usually brutal!

Thanks for sharing!

the other micki
08-06-2008, 01:47 AM
I am encouraged to hear about the nice weather and good crowd levels...we're going at the end of April/beg. of May next year! I love hearing the stories about your son! Looking forward to your next report!

faline
08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Another excellent day!

cal5755
08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
We love Chef Mickey's. We have never done breakfast though and are looking forward to our morning res. during our Sept. trip. Glad you had another wonderful day!

ChipnDaleGal
08-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds like fun from beginning to the end for your family today! Thank you for sharing it with us. :mickey:

tinkerbell04
08-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Sounds like your family is really having a great vacation. I am so glad that your little one is enjoying himself.

pdrlkr
08-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

daparish
08-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Sounds like another fun day. Thanks for the report.

DizNee143
08-13-2008, 11:09 AM
what a great first full day in a park..sounds like you all had a wonderful time in the Magic Kingdom!! :mickey:

laward32
08-18-2008, 03:07 PM
We love Chef Mickey's too. What a great day. Your son sounds so cute.:mickey:

January-2007
10-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the trip report! :mickey: