PDA

View Full Version : Disney's trouble with bees?

LauraleeH
08-04-2008, 12:33 AM
My dad told me tonight that Disney World is having big problem with bees right now, and they've been cutting down trees and everything to try to control it. I haven't heard anything about this before tonight, however, Florida really is having major problems with bees. One local guy was on the news because his entire house is infested. And our attic is filled with wasps (Which scares me to death!). Apparently, they're the africanized bees, otherwise known as killer bees. A poor dog was stung over 1,000 times and died :(

Does anyone know anything about Disney having trouble with bees, africanized or not?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Nothing I've seen. I mean, I'm in the Jungle so we have them. But I haven't seen them outside of our location other than the bumbles, who are there to pollinate and on purpose.

Snowgod
08-04-2008, 09:10 AM
So now we know where all of the missing bees are, they've gone to Disney World.:cool:

brownie
08-04-2008, 10:07 AM
I Googled it and didn't really see anything related to Disney World having any problems with bees.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I've always thought Disney did an amazing job with pest control...I've never noticed a bug or mosquito or bee problem....however, mother nature still has some say

big blue and hairy
08-04-2008, 01:14 PM
I've never noticed a bee problem at WDW...

:sulley:

LauraleeH
08-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I just asked my dad how he heard about this, and my relatives were there a couple of weekends ago and apparently they were in one of the Parks when this was going on, and everyone was getting their money back and leaving.

BMan62
08-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I just asked my dad how he heard about this, and my relatives were there a couple of weekends ago and apparently they were in one of the Parks when this was going on, and everyone was getting their money back and leaving.

If this were true it would have been all over the news.

I think someone is pulling your leg!

LauraleeH
08-04-2008, 11:33 PM
No, I'm thinking it's my relatives trying to get everything for free! I'm guessing they saw a few bees and complained and demanded their money back. It wouldn't surprise me...

brownie
08-05-2008, 10:44 AM
If this were true it would have been all over the news.

I think someone is pulling your leg!

Yeah, this would have made the news if it had happened.

SurferStitch
08-05-2008, 12:22 PM
When we were in Epcot in May they roped off a large area around some bushes and trees in front of Innoventions, to the right of the pin trading station after you pass SE as you enter Epcot (I can never remember if that's East or West).

There was a large bees nest, and they were keeping everyone a large distance away from it until they could take care of it.

That was the only experience we had with bees in WDW.

TheRustyScupper
08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
To bee or not to bee . . .

big blue and hairy
08-05-2008, 04:28 PM
To bee or not to bee . . .Oh buzzzz off...

:sulley:

Scar
08-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Hopefully, they will start to beehive themselves.

SgtTigger
08-05-2008, 08:55 PM
To bee or not to bee . . .

I think that is the question.........

:funny:

:cop: :tigger:

Mousemates
08-05-2008, 10:44 PM
So now we know where all of the missing bees are, they've gone to Disney World.:cool:

:thumbsup: Yeah, and if Disney really had that many bees they would find a way to sell them to "bee-less" midwestern-farmers and make a few dollars off of them.

shadowden
08-06-2008, 01:01 PM
...cant say ive seen bees there. but cockroaches... those ive seen aplenty!

LauraleeH
08-06-2008, 06:43 PM
I sent a message to my cousin and asked her if she ran into bee problems and she said, "Yes, VERY big problems" and I asked her where and what happened and I have yet to receive a reply.

This is from the family that refuses to leave tips if they "didn't like the waiter" so I'm still not sure if I'm buying their story.

And you wonder why Disney is so expensive! Because people are always trying to get as much free stuff as they can!
*I myself enjoy free things...but I prefer that I get them honestly, not by complaining over every little thing.

Ed
08-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm more than just a little skeptical. :scratch:

I've never heard of WDW refunding guests money; they DO issue lots of "comp" tickets that guests can use for future visits.

As others have said, if this was a major problem at WDW, it would be all over the local news, especially the Orlando "Slantinel", which often seems to go out of its way to report on anything negative about the attractions, but I haven't seen anything.

SgtTigger
08-06-2008, 07:20 PM
if this was a major problem at WDW, it would be all over the local news, especially the Orlando "Slantinel", which often seems to go out of its way to report on anything negative about the attractions, but I haven't seen anything.

That is a good name Ed......

Yes the slantinel would bee all over the subject....
anythyng thet can do to put Disney in a bad light it would be front page news......

:cop: :tigger:

LauraleeH
08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm more than just a little skeptical. :scratch:

I've never heard of WDW refunding guests money; they DO issue lots of "comp" tickets that guests can use for future visits.

As others have said, if this was a major problem at WDW, it would be all over the local news, especially the Orlando "Slantinel", which often seems to go out of its way to report on anything negative about the attractions, but I haven't seen anything.
Well, I agree with you (I was skeptical when I first heard, which is why I wanted to find out if anyone knew about this) but I do know that Disney gives money back, depending on the person you ask. We got rained out for MNSSHP last year, and the CM asked us if we wanted tickets for P&PP, MNSSHP, MVMCP, or our money back. We ended up going to MVMCP.

When I was in Kindergarten, my best friends' mother would always boast about staying at the Fort Wilderness Cabins for a week every year for free because she would complain until they gave her what she wanted. I was 5 but I still remember that and even at the time I knew it was wrong. It stuck with me all those years, because I always thought of it as "cheating."

Dznygrl79
08-11-2008, 07:12 AM
I hope this isn't true. I am going down in a few weeks and have a bee allergy! I am also going by myself which scares me if I get stung and I am by myself. Does anyone know s there anywhere in the world to call and find out if this is true?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-11-2008, 08:55 AM
There weren't any problems with bees. I've been here.....well, my entire life. I am on property pretty much all the time. There weren't any additional problems with bees other than the norm.

What I can tell you is that there have always, and always will be, bees that occur naturally at WDW because horticulture puts them in so they help with the plants. But definitely not "swarms of killer bees".

WedWay Peoplemover
08-11-2008, 11:35 AM
The only problem I've ever encountered is at the drink refil stations at the water parks... it's pretty crazy with the bees around the stations!!

Dznygrl79
08-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks I really appreciate that, I just don't wanna worry the whole time, looking over my shoulder for those black and yellow bombers that can ruin everything! The only bee I like is when Pooh Bear gets dressed up as one! :pooh:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
08-12-2008, 09:58 AM
If you ignore them, they'll ignore you and go back to pollinating.

mook3y
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
I am not sure how "big" of a problem WDW is having in general with bees.

But, last september, we took the Disney's Family Magic Tour. While we were waiting in the courtyard that is just to the right when you are facing guest relations, I noticed a bee hive in the tree in that courtyard. About 15 - 18 feet up and was a little bigger than a football.

I went into guest relations and they came out and I pointed it out to them. They went in and made a phone call. It was gone the next day.

I did take photo's of this. Will look tonight and post a link when I put them up.

Again, no idea how widespread of a problem, but was inside of the MK.

LauraleeH
08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
If you ignore them, they'll ignore you and go back to pollinating.
No, that's not always the case. We were swimming agt Fort Wilderness and my mom was at a table, just sitting there, when a bee came and stung the back of her leg. And I was sitting on a bench, waiting for the bus one time, when 3 bees came out of the bushes and I got up and they chased me (My family loved that one lol) :blush:
(But that can happen anywhere, and that's definitely not a good enough reason to demand money back)

If you have any kind of allergies (To bees or food or animals) always carry an epi-pen in Disney with you.