PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding

tmosier
08-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Where would you stay..... Port Orleans French Quarter, the Dolphin, or the Swan? There are pros and cons for each, and I'm having trouble deciding where to stay 11/30-12/5. I need your help!

My party of 8 would either stay in water view rooms at POFQ, or limited view rooms at the Dolphin or Swan. Would love to upgrade to a room with a view and balcony at the "Swalfin", but each family would save $300 by getting a not-so-special view room.

POFQ pros are the DDP option, water view, food court, and the least expensive of the bunch.

Swan pros are queen-size Heavenly beds and great location.

Dolphin pros are Heavenly beds (although double-size), great location, cheaper than Swan, and plenty of food options.

Which would you choose??

CleveRocks
08-02-2008, 09:58 PM
This bit of info may help ...

At POFQ, as at all the WDW Moderate resorts, your window(s) and door open onto an exterior corridor. You don't have a balcony. Your view is intermittently blocked by people walking by getting to and from their rooms. I'm not comparing WDW resorts to motels, but the Moderate resorts are constructed in that general style.

So if you have your curtains wide open to enjoy the view, then everyone walking by has a great view of ... YOU!:eek:

It's not like having a view at a different kind of resort.

Jarrod
08-02-2008, 11:23 PM
We have stayed at all three and we prefer the Swan because of the larger beds and it is smaller and quieter than the Dolphin. You obviously can use all the amenities of the Dolphin just a short walk away. The double size beds are just not large enough for us to be comfortable. Plus, Swan and Dolphin have just gone through a soft refurb and the rooms are really nicely updated. Also, the location is SO MUCH better than POR/FQ. 2 parks are accessible without riding/waiting for buses.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I've been experimenting with official Disney resorts, mainly because of the free dining. However, I love staying at the Swan & Dolphin and actually prefer the Dolphin because of the grotto pool & Picabu. I love staying in the Epcot area. And the beds are the best I've ever slept in!

mouseketeer mom
08-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I would stay POFQ. The Swan and Dolphin just don't feel Disney to me. Thats just me I guess, but hands down I would stay POFQ.

disneymom2000
08-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I would stay POFQ. The Swan and Dolphin just don't feel Disney to me. Thats just me I guess, but hands down I would stay POFQ.

I so agree. If it is the full disney experience you want, then POFQ is the way to go. I always feel that the Swan and Dolphin are just another vacation hotel. We went in them last visit and just didn't the excitement like I do when I walk into the lobby of one of the Disney resorts. The staff aren't as overwhelming friendly either.:mickey:

tmosier
08-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your help so far.

As of this morning, a 2 bedroom villa opened up at Saratoga. This would be option #4. Any thoughts?

ledudes
08-03-2008, 11:40 AM
POFQ is our favorite moderate...never tried the other two casue they also don't seem "Disney" to me. I also thought they didn't offer all the perks that the Disney hotels offered, but I can't remember what they were....The location of them does seem nice becasue you can walk to the 2 parks, but POFQ has a nice boat ride to DD and it is small and has a nice atmosphere. As far a views, we are never in our room long enough to ever look out the window since we leave early and get home when it is dark, so view is never a concern. I heard SS is large and all suites I think, but I still think I like POFQ best. It is not a long bus ride to get anywhere and it is the 1st stop for the bus so it is easy to get seats.

gerald72
08-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Knock yourself out. Go for the Swan.

Crow
08-03-2008, 01:50 PM
anybody that knows me would know i would split my stay as Ive done that many trips.
POFQ is tied for first on my mod list. theming is good, smaller
Swan/Dolphin Ive also liked for location & Kimonos
so go for both!

Mickey91
08-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Well, you have to remember that the Swan and Dolphin don't have all the same Disney perks. You will have to look at the list to decide if any of it matters to you. With SSR you are getting the deluxe experience with the Disney perks. POFQ is nice. We stayed at POR and found them both to be very nice. And again, all the Disney perks.

tmosier
08-04-2008, 09:13 AM
This bit of info may help ...

At POFQ, as at all the WDW Moderate resorts, your window(s) and door open onto an exterior corridor. You don't have a balcony. Your view is intermittently blocked by people walking by getting to and from their rooms. I'm not comparing WDW resorts to motels, but the Moderate resorts are constructed in that general style.

So if you have your curtains wide open to enjoy the view, then everyone walking by has a great view of ... YOU!:eek:

It's not like having a view at a different kind of resort.

Thanks! This is definitely something that would've bothered me had we stayed at that hotel.

I think we've narrowed our choices down to two-- Swan and 2 bedroom villa at Saratoga Springs. Unless a great Disney Visa/FL resident/AAA/passholder discount comes out soon, we will probably choose the Swan.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!