PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for May 17-24, 2009

rjbarker
08-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi everyone!

My fiance and I will be taking our honeymoon/law school graduation celebration to WDW on May 17-24, 2009. We've only been to WDW before during the month of January. Does anyone have any tips for May and/or can anyone provide any insight on how, if at all, May differs from January at WDW? Thanks so much for your help! We're really excited!!:mickey:

Zimkeeper
08-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Congratulations on both your up-coming wedding and graduation.:party:
We have been to WDW twice in early May and the weather was very hot the first time and very pleasant the second time. We also go frequently in January when the weather can be a bit cool. While the crowds will be heavier than you are used to in January, they should be managable at that time because you are beyond the "spring break" season.
I do remember something about "Grad nights" in May when the MK is closed in the evening for local graduation parties. I think they were on Saturday nights, but I don't know if they will be as late in the month as you will be there. You can probably find out at "Info Central" what the dates were last year.
Have a great time.

brewcrew26
08-03-2008, 07:56 AM
:congrats:Just wanted to say congratulations on the upcoming wedding and graduations!!!

PetefromRI
08-03-2008, 12:03 PM
May is a great month to go.We prefer early May because the weather is hot and dry.As the month goes on the humidity rises but it's still a great month to go.January is just to darn cold for me where as May is hot.The crowds aren't to bad in May either.You guys will have a great time.Congrats!!!

rjbarker
08-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks, everybody, for your help and kind words! We're so excited!!

faline
08-03-2008, 03:55 PM
May is generally a great time to visit the World - particularly early to mid-May.

You'll find the weather much warmer than in January - even quite humid - though there generally is not a lot of rain.

Crowds are low at the beginnng of the month but begin to edge up as you go through the month.

The Flower and Garden show is terrific!

Tink#64
08-03-2008, 08:04 PM
We have visited 4 x during May & the week that you are going is the week that we prefer! The next week leads up to the MD Holiday & it is definitely more crowded. Also better because most kids aren't out of school yet! We've enjoyed fantastic weather but temps for us have ranged probably mid 80 to low 90's, but can be quite warm & humid! But some evenings we've needed a light jacket! In our experience, low crowd levels that week, we use the fp system alot but still haven't waited more than 20 in a sb line for even major attractions! Congratulations & best wishes for a magical trip! :tink:

DisneyWhirled
08-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and graduation!

We have been several times during the very same week you are planning. The weather is warm and the crowds are not bad at all. It does get very busy over Memorial weekend.

Have a great time!

sillyolbear
08-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Congratulations!

As others have posted, May is a great time to visit. We've made a May trip an annual thing--going May 17-20 in 2009.

Manageable crowds, good weather, and the Flower and Garden Festival all make for a great time. The Grad night's do close the MK, and eventually DHS as Disney moves those and Night of Joy, but I've never noticed much impact other than an early park closure.

the other micki
08-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Congrats on your upcoming celebrations! We went in May 2006 and it was very nice. Low to moderate crowds, with hot but tolerable heat. We are going this year either late April/early May or 1st week in May. We are working our vacation dates around my brother's law school graduation. I wanted to let you know that grad nites are in April this year and have been for the last couple of years, so don't worry about them!