PDA

View Full Version : Economic Slump At Wdw

moe513
08-02-2008, 01:06 PM
JUst came back from a vacation in up state Maine. The place were we stayed said they had a lot of empty cabins this year and the local small town was a ghost town. They said some businesses might not make it. Just a bad economy.My question in is is Disney having a slump too and any chance of great promotions to boast wdw travelers.

Thanks

Polynesian Dweller
08-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Well, I guess there's always hope but if you go by Disney's 3rd quarter results that were reported as of the end of June 2008, revenues at Parks and Resorts revenue was up 9% over the same period in June 2007 anhd operating income (profit really) was up 16% over the same period.

They've also felt confident enough to raise ticket prices by 5% so it would seem that their outlook is for continued success.

Jasper
08-02-2008, 01:42 PM
WDW is somewhat insulated from economic slowdowns in this country as long as the slowdown does not also impact foreign countries. At this point other countries, especially in western Europe, are not in the level of slowdown as the United States is so those people are still traveling. Plus with the Euro, and other currencies, being so strong right now in comparison to the dollar it is actually a great time for foreign travelers to come to the United States. And what is the number one American attraction for foreign travelers? Of course, it is WDW.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
08-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Personally, I think things will rebound soon but I think down turns for Disney usually take longer to surface since most trips there are planned and paid for about a year in advance. Let's see how their current bookings are going a year from now.

moe513
08-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Great info

Crow
08-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Personally, Im planning on taking a break from WDW after next months trip.
WDW is my only vacation place really for many yrs & I havent taken other trips.
Ive been there 2 times a yr mainly for the last few yrs.
the cost & cutbacks have made me decide to take a break.
and Id like to see someplace different...Tokyo Disney :) maybe?
I just hope that the Cms arent hurt much and also Magical Journeys.

jszczur5
08-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Personally, I think things will rebound soon but I think down turns for Disney usually take longer to surface since most trips there are planned and paid for about a year in advance. Let's see how their current bookings are going a year from now.

Bingo. I agree completely.

moe513
08-04-2008, 12:40 PM
I want a great deal know.

disneygeek84
08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I think everyone's right. Everyone's trips are already paid for, so they might as well go. I know my husbands and my trip next month will be our last for a couple of years. My sister and her husband just moved to Colorado Springs and are expecting their first baby in January (the first grandchild in the family) so we'll be traveling more up there. And we're planning on starting a family next year as well. So we decided to take this trip this year before we have children, since the only other time we've gotten to go by ourselves was for our honeymoon.

But I'm sure that it will be next year before we start seeing the effects of it. And even with that being said, people will still go. It's DISNEY! :mickey::mickey: people can't resist!

brownie
08-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Disney doesn't seem to have been impacted much yet, so I wouldn't expect to see spectacular deals any time soon, if at all.

ILoveLegos
08-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Funny - I saw the effects from July 15-24th, park attendence was wayyyy down, or did I just pick the half- full parks? :mickey: