PDA

View Full Version : Give me feedback on my long-term plan....

Sunshine1010
08-02-2008, 12:47 AM
I am a DVC owner. We are going to WDW in December (5-14).

We plan on going again in November of 2009 instead of December (our use year month, and the time we go every year)

We'd like to do this to take advantage of the AP. If we do this, we can go 2x in one year and it would save us lots of money.

But, I'm a little confused. I know that since I'm going in December 08 (and my use year is Dec.), then I will have used my points until December 2009. This vacation, I had to borrow a few points. If I go again in November 2009 (before my points get 'renewed') can I still go on points? I guess what I'm asking is....will I be able to borrow points? Does this make sense?

dlpmikki
08-02-2008, 05:11 AM
If I follow you correctly you will be going twice in the same use year. You have already borrowed some points from the following use year. You will be able to borrow the rest of the points from the following use year, but not any from the year after that, unless your trip extends into December in which case you could borrow points for those nights. Does that make sense?

Sunshine1010
08-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Sooooooo......

If I borrow points from the 2009 year for my December 2008 trip, then I would be unable to borrow points for my November 2009 trip from December 2010 year....correct?

So in other words, I can only go again AFTER December 2009 (to be able to use my points)....correct?

Checkers
08-02-2008, 10:11 AM
:mickey:Yes, you are correct. If you have used all of your 2009 points and your use year is Dec., then you would have to go in Dec. in order to borrow 2010 points.

If you still have some 2009 points available (just not enough), you could consider paying cash for the remainder of your stay if you still want to go in Nov.

aurorafan
08-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I was confused about this as well. I found out when I went to make our June 2009 ressie that I could borrow from our 2010 points, as our trip falls within our 2009 use year (March). So because we'll be in our 2009 UY we can borrow from 2010--clear as mud? :D

So if I'm reading your post correctly, if you've used all your 2009 points, and you're going in Nov. 2009 (before your 2009 UY) you could not borrow from your 2010 points.

I swear this stuff makes my head hurt sometimes :ill: :D

Sunshine1010
08-04-2008, 11:19 AM
This is like physics to me sometimes

MinnieMommie
08-06-2008, 09:00 PM
It sounds as if your AP is good through Dec 4 2009. You might consider selecting dates so that you can be there the end of Nov through dec 1-4 2009 and borrow from 2010 for those Dec nights. Makes sense? You can also consider going less days especially if you can manage to delete a Friday or saturday night from your stay. Those nights are the real point eaters. :mickey:

DVC_dad
09-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Hummmm...

I know for a fact that I have borrowed points from further out than one year for a stay. We took 18 people five years ago, stayed for a week in a 3 BR villa and also had two studios.

I had to borrow the entire next year and some from the next. I remember it like yesterday.

After returning from that trip I bought more points. I seem to remember that its not ONE year but THREE years on borrowing points as the limit. Could that have changed with the new memberships? We borrowed on BWV points.

Aurora
09-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Hummmm...

I know for a fact that I have borrowed points from further out than one year for a stay. We took 18 people five years ago, stayed for a week in a 3 BR villa and also had two studios.

I had to borrow the entire next year and some from the next. I remember it like yesterday.

After returning from that trip I bought more points. I seem to remember that its not ONE year but THREE years on borrowing points as the limit. Could that have changed with the new memberships? We borrowed on BWV points.

I don't know previous rules, but the three years you're thinking of might be that you can use banked points from the previous year, this year's points, and borrow from next year's points (total of three years worth of points).

You cannot borrow from more than one use year in the future, and you have to use the oldest points first (banked points, then current, then borrowed). The key is USE year.

For example, our use year is February. If I take a trip in March 2009, I can use banked points from Feb. 2008 use year, current points from 2009, and borrow future points from use year Feb. 2010.

However, I could not borrow even more points from Feb. 2011 because I would be in the Feb. 2009 use year.

DVC_dad
09-26-2008, 09:53 AM
the three years you're thinking of might be that you can use banked points from the previous year, this year's points, and borrow from next year's points (total of three years worth of points).

Aurora, you are exactly right. I read your reply and was curious, so I actually just now called the DVC to ask them just so that we all have accurate information. I did NOT borrow from 2 years in advance. I borrowed all the next year points and purchased more, which I used for said vacation. Sorry for the misinformation.

Aurora you are exactly right, you can't borrow from further out than the next use year.