PDA

View Full Version : Sit 'n stand stroller best to take?

Diznut
08-01-2008, 06:51 PM
I have a 4 year old and a 1 year old.
I'm stressing over which is the best stroller option.
I can do the sit n stand and they both have seating options all the time. But it's sort of big and might not be very easy to get on and off disney transportation. Or I can take a regular stroller and a baby back pack. That way if my 4 year old wants to sit, we can put the 1 year old in the back pack. But then I'm stuck with a back pack when its not in use. Or I can use a double side by side unbrella stroller. It's light weight and folds down nicely but it's a side by side and kind of wide. I don't want to rent.
Advise apreciated!
We're going Sept 6 - Sept 13th staying at Movies.

MrsAndre
08-01-2008, 07:16 PM
On our next trip we'll have a four year old and a two year old...I'm planning to bring a sit and stand stroller. Our double stroller folds too large, and even at a year I can't imagine carrying the baby around any more. It's too hot and she's too big.
IMO Renting is just too pricey.
Have fun whatever you decide!

sandeecheeks
08-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Our last visit was Oct 06 and after hearing too many bad stories about hauling around strollers we decided not to bring one along. For us it turned out to be a great decision. Thinking of hauling that stroller to and from the parks (especially if you are taking the bus) would have been a real pain - people that were doing it were NOT having fun as the bus can get pretty busy. We rented a stroller for two and I can't remember the price but at the time I thought it was a great deal (if I remember how much I paid I will repost). The strollers they rent are excellent - extremely maneuverable through the crowds and easy for the kids to get in and out of - (the kids loved the stroller). If you bring the baby backpack along you could store it in the double rented stroller when not in use as they have lots of storage space (for all the things that you will undoubtely purchase ;) ). Just my two cents worth, but it worked for us and we found the trade off of convienence was well worth the price. Good luck!

Fryguy
08-01-2008, 08:24 PM
We use the sit and stand one for our boys last year (5 and 2 at the time) and it was great. It was not too big and was not in the way on the bus at all.

The one that we have folds up to about half the width of a normal stroller.

LittleRoosMommy
08-01-2008, 09:44 PM
We were in the same position last Oct. We went with our 2 DDs ages 1 & 3 at the time. We couldn't decide what to do; take our side-by-side double stroller or our Mcclaren ane rent one or take 2 umbrella strollers. In the end, we decided to take our 2 umbrella strollers, our Mcclaren and Chicco C6. We were so glad that we did! DDs inevitably fell asleep when we were walking to/from parks & hotel or DTD. I think it depends on whether your older child is up for walking to/from hotel & park or at DTD, etc. We're going this October :mickey: and we're taking both umbrella strollers DDs! I hope you have a great time!!

Diznut
08-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Mmmm.... 2 unbrellas ... hadn't thought about that. Could be a good option. But then I won't have any storage and that's 2 strollers to lug arond. I think I'll just do the sit and stand. To me the only con is getting it on/off disney transportation. But according to another poster, it wasn't a big deal. I think we'll do that.
Thanks everyone!

kakn7294
08-02-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't have a sit 'n stand, but when DD was younger, we had a large single stroller that we took once. It was heavy and bulky but it was okay on the buses. We had a system as to who took what and which kid at the end of each night to make loading onto the buses much easier. At your children's ages, the sit 'n stand is probably your best option - umbrellas are great but no storage is a huge issue. Honestly, I wouldn't want to lug around a 1 yo in a backpack - MUCH too hot!

Lizzie
08-02-2008, 03:12 PM
We always bring our double jogger and its big getting on and off the busses but the amount of time in the day we spend on the busses versus in the parks using the stroller it was worth all the extra work having the big stroller. Its easy for us to push and the kids are comfy and can sleep in it. We developed a system for getting on and off the busses. Our kids were just under a year and a half and we figure it will never be that difficult with the kids on the busses again.

Madzac
08-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Our last trip my two older kids were 1 and 4 and we took two umbrellas. It was nice as they were light and folded up quickly. No storage, but I just kept stuff in the diaper bag and hung it on the back. The downside was, neither stoller reclined. It was fine for my 4 yr old, but not good for the 1 year old.

This time we will be going with a 7, 4 and 1 yr old. We considered strongly the sit and stand stoller, as it would be one thing to lug, though at about 23 pounds seems heavy. What made me decide against it was that the front seat does not recline, and I really want something to recline for my little guy. We debated what to do and decided to go with two umbrellas again, but we bought a Maclaren triumph. It is more pricey(120) but does recline some and has more storage than the cheapo umbrellas. I think this will work well for my little one. It is about 11 pounds and our other umbrella is 8 pounds so that will still be lighter than the big one.

Good luck deciding.. there are pros and cons to both!

pixiesmimi
08-02-2008, 11:48 PM
We have done both our own strollers, single and double, and rented. We found our own were hard to fold up, especially the double, and get on and off the trams easily when we drove but not so much on the buses. We also liked the rental ones though and just took a blanket or towel along for them to lie down on. There is plenty of room for a little one up in the back of it and the older to sit on the front or put bags on the front. We didn't like the double ones though because the older kids would bother the little ones if they were napping so always rented single ones. Now, when you rent, it is cheaper if you go ahead and rent for how many days you are going to be there instead of day by day and your receipt is good at any other parks you go to. Just be sure to keep the receipts. But, of course, you won't have a stroller for DTD or anywhere else. Last year DD brought her own but the second day didn't take it to the park because someone walking out of the park gave us theirs instead of turning it in and saved us having to rent. That was a very nice jesture. I guess they were park hopping or just decided they didn't need it any more.

LittleRoosMommy
08-03-2008, 12:05 AM
We have the Mcclaren Triumph as well. I LOVE it!! It actually reclines fairly far back and is comfortable for both of my DDs 1 & 4. We have taken it to WDW and DL and have loved the ease manuevering in the crowds, lugging it on the buses, etc. We are bringing it again this year, along with the Chicco for our girls. As far as not having much storage, there is a small basket under both strollers that I place some things in. We also have the mesh bag that I placed on the back of the stroller. It gives you a little more storage and cupholders!!:mickey: But, we always rent a locker for the day at whatever park we will be in and put the extra clothes, souveneirs, etc in there. Then either DH or I make locker runs throughout the day when we need something. This helps keep what I have to carry on me to a minimum!!

tarzan_rocks
08-03-2008, 12:26 PM
One tip I might suggest would be driving to the parks rather than using the Disney bus transportation. We've done two strollers in the past and will be switching to the sit-n-stand next trip.

It can be a challenge managing two strollers and two kids on a bus. Taking the car, we can pack our stroller(s) in the back, take our time getting them out and getting our kids situated. From there, the kids can ride the whole time and not have to get in and out. Plus they are able to eat breakfast in the car on the way over which they can't do in the bus.

We like to get to the park at or just before park opening. At least the times of year we go, we are able to park very close to the entrance so we don't have to ride the tram and manage strollers on there.

Depending on our schedule, we sometimes go back to the room in the afternoon, especially in the hotter months. The kids will usually fall asleep in the car because they are very comfortable in their own car seats with air conditioning, etc...something else not easily done on the bus. Finding a close parking spot again in the evening is usually pretty easy.

My kids have a tendency to feel claustrophobic in tight, crowded spaces especially when they are tired. They don't always handle being crammed on a bus at park closing very well. We find that other guests rarely give up their seats for families with young children. We also tend to get separated because of the challenges navigating a crowded bus with two strollers. They are much more relaxed making this trip back in their own car after a long, exciting.

If taking a boat or monorail is an option, do that. You can keep the kids in their strollers from your room until you get to your favorite early day attraction. Be aware there are some boats that require you to fold up the strollers...the small ones from the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. Those from Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness, and in the Epcot area let you roll right on.

So as a way of better handling two strollers or a bulky double stroller, driving is an easy and convenient way to deal with it without having to pay the exorbitant cost of renting a stroller.

I realize that this isn't an option for everyone. Some people fly to Walt Disney World and take a bus from the airport. But for those who have cars may want to consider driving to the parks. Parking is free for resort guests.

tr

Diznut
08-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Driving is not an option for us. But THANK YOU for your fabulous post! We're taking magical express and staying on property and really don't want to be bothered with a car and now with the gas prices lord only knows how much it will cost.
BUT we've made a decision regarding a stroller. We're going with the unbrella side by side (it reclines). It's a lot smaller when folded up and light weight. The only con is there is minimal storage. But we'll just plan to have all our purchases sent back to the room and we'll have our back pack. I think it will be okay. Both kids will be able to sit when ever they want, and even take a snooze if they so choose.
Thanks again everyone!