PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon Lagoon Wave Schedule

sdewan
08-01-2008, 12:10 PM
It's been 3 years since I was last at TL, but I seem to remember that the wave pool had different types of waves at different times: alternating between a single big wave every 90 seconds and continuous, smaller waves. I can't remember what the rotation schedule was though.

We are going back in 2 weeks, so does anyone know if they still use this schedule, and what the details are?

MarkC
08-01-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm not certain of the schedule, but the vast majority of the time you get the big waves. I think it takes a break for a few minutes every couple of hours, but if you're there for any time at all you'll get plenty of wave action. Have fun. Mark

PetefromRI
08-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I believe that the big waves are non operational until next year.The mechanism that makes the big waves is broken and won't be repaired until the next refurb.The pool will be open but only with the small waves.I guess we'll be trying Blizzard Beach this Fall instead of Typhoon Lagoon.

Minnie Imagineer
08-02-2008, 09:23 AM
the wave pool continuously has 'bobbing waves'. Every 90 seconds, there is the 'surf waves'.
There is a small chalkboard at the edge of the beach near the front of the park where that day's wave schedule is posted.

Brownie54
08-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I believe that the big waves are non operational until next year.The mechanism that makes the big waves is broken and won't be repaired until the next refurb.The pool will be open but only with the small waves.I guess we'll be trying Blizzard Beach this Fall instead of Typhoon Lagoon.

Can anyone confirm this? I was there ten days ago and it was working fine. Also, when they did the small, choppy waves.....I don't care much for them. They kinda make me sea-sick.

mac badger
08-04-2008, 12:05 AM
ive read this several places and it's not true.
i had heard it from this site as well as trip advisor before my last visit, but when i went 5 days ago the big waves were working just fine.
perhaps they were broken for a time or maybe someone went during the non-big wave time and misunderstood, and it spread from there
:mickey:

PetefromRI
08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
I hope it's true that the wave machine works.We'd love to go back to TL.

joelkfla
08-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Surf school and private surf events have suspended until maintenance can be performed to "accommodate the larger waves associated with these experiences." They are expected to resume sometime in 2009.

"Guests will continue to be able to enjoy the wave pool during normal operating hours."

I guess that means they can create the big waves for swimming, but not the really big waves needed for surfing. Or maybe it's a matter of not creating too many big waves to avoid overtaxing some component that's close to wearing out.

Brownie54
08-05-2008, 07:47 PM
If you go to youtube and search for "Typhoon Lagoon", there is a five minute video by the company who built the wave machine. It shows how it works. I thought it was interesting.