PDA

View Full Version : Disney History Coffee Table Book

Mammabruski
08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm looking for a coffee table book that has great photos of the parks and details their history. . . any ideas? I was browsing on typical book buying websites, but is there somewhere specific I might find something like this? Do they sell something like this in the parks? Feel free to PM me if need be. Thanks!

Beast_fanatic
08-01-2008, 10:48 PM
We seem to get more book discussions over in the Mousellaneous forum, so I'm going to bounce this over there in hopes that someone will have some ideas for you...

Bethanymouse
08-01-2008, 11:55 PM
I purchased a great history of walt disney world/walt disney book a few years ago. I actually got it pretty cheap ($20) at Homegoods near my house. It is a really nice size, has great art work and details. I dont recall the exact name, sorry about that, but it has a picture of walt on the front in black and white. It is really nice. I have also seen it at Barnes and Noble. Hope this helps.

Ok, I looked it up on Barnes and Noble and I know it is called: Inside the Dream : The Personal Story of Walt Disney. It is a great book. I was very very happy with it.
Here is a description. Hope this helps!

Synopsis
Walt Disney's impact on American popular culture was, and continues to be, immeasurable. Told through the emotionally engaging words of those who knew, worked with, and studied him, Inside the Dream is by far the most revelatory portrait to date of this remarkable man. Contributions from a virtual Who's Who of more than seventy actors, writers, and historians are woven together in a frank and heartfelt text written by the authors of the ABC television documentary "Walt: The Man Behind the Myth." Although he died in 1966, his legacy lives on in so many ways. We sometimes forget that behind the entertainment company and the theme parks that bear his name, there was indeed a man called Walt Disney.

Throughout Inside the Dream, personal stories from those who knew Walt best -- his family -- reveal a gentle man with extraordinary gifts. A creative genius and tireless innovator who worked long hours and never stopped thinking about his next endeavor. Walt was also a devoted family man who deeply loved his wife and daughters and carved out time for them each and every day. Filled with rarely seen historic photographs drawn from the Disney family's personal archives and found during exhaustive research. Inside the Dream offers readers a unique journey through time in search of a man who has become an icon of American culture.

dixielandings
08-02-2008, 09:53 AM
There's an abundance of things like this in the Parks. I've not seen the same kind of collections outside. I have several (it was my souvenir of choice for many trips). The best WDW one I have is one called "Since the World Began", written I believe for the 25th anniversary of WDW. It's not as big as I wish but still a good retrospective. You might search for that one.

brownie
08-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Some books you might consider are:

One Day at Disney (Hyperion, 1999)
Since the World Began (Jeff Kurtti, Hyperion, 1996)
Around the World with Disney (Kevin Markey, Disney Editions, 2005)
Disney: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Russell Schroeder, DK Books, 2002)
Walt Disney World: Then, Now, & Forever (Jeff Kurtti & Bruce Gordon, Disney Editions, not yet released)
The Art of Walt Disney World (Disney Editions, not yet released)
The Art of Disneyland (Jeff Kurtti & Bruce Gordon, Disney Editions, 2006)
Disneyland: Then, Now, & Forever (Bruce Gordon & Tim O'Day, Disney Editions, 2005)
Disney: The First 100 Years (Dave Smith & Steven Clark, Disney Editions, 2002)

There's usually a pictorial souvenir book at the parks with pictures of a lot of the attractions and resorts. You can try contacting Walt Disney World merchandise mail order to see what's available. The other books you should be able to find at amazon or other online booksellers (you might have to buy used, though.)