PDA

View Full Version : Dole Whip Mix?

Janet89
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
I was searching around the other night and found a mix to make Dole Whips. The website stated it is the same mix used by Disney. Has anyone tried it or familiar with it?

watch4pixiedust
07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
I haven't heard anything about a Dole Whip mix but it sounds very interesting! Was it a recipe or site that you can post? (I'm not sure of the "rules" for posting from other sites) I hope so, I'm sure all the Dole Whip fans would like to check it out. Thanks!

Janet89
07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure of the rules either! I actually put Dole Whip in the search box and went into Wikipedia. I clicked on a link there about making them at home. There is a demonstration video using a Cusinart machine (which I have). The mix is in a big bag. It runs around $21 (plus shipping, I'm sure). Says it makes about 70 Dole Whips.

Jasper
07-31-2008, 04:22 PM
I am fairly certain that the actual official Dole Whip recipe is technically the property of either the Dole Company (or whoever owns Dole) or the Disney Company. Having said that though I am sure that it would not be that hard for someone to have figured out a recipe that is fairly close to the original. Of course the one thing they can't duplicate is the atmosphere in which you eat them and that atmosphere somehow seems to make everything taste better!

BrerSchultzy
07-31-2008, 04:33 PM
My dad bought the mix...and it really does smell and taste like the real thing (and they swear it's the same mix used in the parks and in Hawaii). BUT, you have to have the right kind of ice cream maker, or you end up with the problems my dad has had...Dole Whip soup, Orange colored dole whip, Dole Whip concentrate Ice cream...but I have faith in him.

Still...nothing can beat the real thing...sorry dad.

wdwfansince75
07-31-2008, 08:28 PM
About the mix....read the instructions carefully! It is really designed for a larger machine, but it can be made in a 1 quart machine, like mine....The taste was there, but the instructions say adjust the amount of water. or even mix some half and half or milk, or even pineapple juice with the water. The smell and taste are there. The last time, I whipped the mix a bit too much, and it came out a bit foamy....will adjust for that on the next batch. Even for that batch, I left it in the freezer overnight, and it came out as dole whipped flavored ice cream.....

They also have mango and raspberry flavors.

watch4pixiedust
08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Of course the one thing they can't duplicate is the atmosphere in which you eat them and that atmosphere somehow seems to make everything taste better!

....so true.........now if they could package that..............:cloud9:.......but then, none of us would ever "leave" ;)

Magic Smiles
08-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Just checked out the website.
$21.95 for the mix and since I live in Canada, $28.43 for shipping. Now since I would also have to buy the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker, should I really order the mix or just start planning another trip to WDW???

To get better look of the dole whip you could also scoop the ice cream into a pastry bag and use the applicable decorating tip to swirl it around instead of scooping.