PDA

View Full Version : Pop too big?

mel
07-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I think the pop is too big. When you stay at the 80's building, its almost too far away from the food court and the buses. (we drove to the front).Anyone else feel this way?

sneadhead
07-29-2008, 08:24 PM
We stayed at Pop in May and for the first time paid the extra money for a "preferred room". It was definitely worth the money and I will do it from now on!:mickey:

Mousemates
07-29-2008, 08:48 PM
we actually like being on the back side of the resort...away from things where its a bit quieter ...we walk so much while we're at disney, its gotten to the place where the only time I dislike the distance is at check-in or check-out.

bjs6
07-29-2008, 08:50 PM
We stayed in the 80's building in June. I didn't find it the resort too big at all. CBR, on the other hand, is too big...

motherof4
07-29-2008, 09:05 PM
I am staying at pop in Aug and I have never stayed there before. in 2006 we stayed in Movies we had a standard room. It was a pretty far walk to the pool and bus stop:mickey: how long will it take us to walk to the bus in this hotel if it is this big?

Eeyore's My Favorite
07-29-2008, 09:56 PM
We stayed at Pop in May and for the first time paid the extra money for a "preferred room". It was definitely worth the money and I will do it from now on!:mickey:

DH & I paid for a preferred room last September @ POP & it was the worst room location we've ever had. We were as far away from the elevator, food court, pool & buses as possible. We were on the 3rd floor, 60's building on the back side with a view of absolutely nothing. Plus, the resort is so huge it was packed and the stay was the most unmagical trip we had ever had. After this visit we decided to try ASMu and found it a much more enjoyable and magical resort. Our standard room there was much nicer & in a better location than the "preferred" room we had an POP. Due to many other issues at POP during that vacation, we won't be back to POP again.:marg:

iheartmickey
07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
I think the pop is too big. When you stay at the 80's building, its almost too far away from the food court and the buses. (we drove to the front).Anyone else feel this way?

Where were you in the 80's?

I actually request 80's and cut across the parking lot to the buses! It's so close!

I think it's closer to the buses than some of the other buildings like the 50's and the back of the 70's!

I guess it's personal prefrence ... but I don't think it's too big. I think it's just right.

Vito
07-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Pop is no bigger or differently configured than the All Star resorts, or some of the other large moderate or deluxe resorts.

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes there are shorter paths than the obvious paths to get to the buses, for example. I highly recommend looking at an accurate overhead map, and plan out the shortest route to the buses, the food court, etc. Often times there will be a shorter route than the obvious one.

Young@Heart
07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
We don't find it too big at all! :mickey: We stay in the prefered section, b/c we have kids who like to be near the arcade, flower pool, and Everything POP!, but we've walked all around the resort to check out all the icons and such and it never felt like more than a 5 min. walk or so back to the foodcourt area. And believe me, we're not fast walkers! ;)

Like a PP said, I think CBR is too big and spread out, and actually, we even found POR to be a little too spread out. :blush:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
We've heard conflicting reports from two different coworkers-one did not stay in preferred and said it was either 80's or 90's he couldn't remember...he complained that the walks were too long and said he would stay at All Stars resorts in the future....another coworker stayed in preferred and said it was close to everything-didn't remember what building though...we're trying Pop out in December, we stayed in All Stars before and the walk wasn't bad...:)

tinklover
07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
We were just at Pop in June and we ended up getting preferred as we had no room # assigned to us when we made our ressies there. we were in teh 60's building 3rd floor with a view of the lake.we wer enot that far from the elevator and the walk to classic hall was not to bad . I think the best expierince was well 2 best , A meeting a new pen pal from England in teh smoking section, and B being woken up our first night there around 11 . I thought it was my neighbors doing something :blush: until I heard some talking outside of my room and i got up to investigate and it was wishes :cloud9: . it was such a magical thing and on my very first night staying for teh very first time on disney property . POp is now our new disney home.:number1:

homeschool mom
07-30-2008, 02:16 PM
We have stayed in each section of Pop except the preferred. I don't think the walk from any one of them was more than 5 min. and on 3 trips we were pushing 2 strollers. I agree with another poster who said to check out a good arial map and find your own route. When we stayed in the 90s, for example, we just cut across the parking lot to the buses. We really enjoy Pop and will be staying there on our upcoming trip.

45 days and counting :mickey:

wonderalice23
07-30-2008, 02:26 PM
I love Pop, although I have stayed at many other WDW resorts. Pop, for me, is the best value resort. I did get to liking moderates and deluxe as well, but if I ever need to save on a WDW vacation, Pop would work for me!:thumbsup:

p.s. going there in almost 2 weeks!!!!!:party:

caryrae
07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
With all the walking we do at the Parks a few minutes walk at POP is nothing.

GrmGrninGost
07-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Definitely not too big! Now, some of the moderates on the other hand ...

joonyer
07-30-2008, 05:48 PM
We've stayed at PC a couple of times, and don't find it too big at all. Last time we stayed in the 80's, in the building farthest from the main building and it took us less than 5 minutes to walk to the bus stop or food court. At first I thought it was farther, but i timed it. I think we've all become spoiled by not having to walk anywhere in this country. And there's a parking lot on the side so the walk to our car was even shorter. Besides, if you're not disabled, walking is good for you. I figure every little bit of walking helps to burn off all those extra calories I consume at WDW while I'm on vacation.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
07-30-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm guessing you don't think they should ever open the Legendary Years, then? :mickey:

(not that they will in the condition they're in now)

Chris :hatter:

Faver
07-30-2008, 06:02 PM
When my mom traveled with us last time, she also found POP to be very large, we stayed in the 80's (our usual preffered place)... We're just use to staying far from the bus stops and foodcourt.

joonyer
07-30-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm guessing you don't think they should ever open the Legendary Years, then? :mickey:

(not that they will in the condition they're in now)

If they do, the plans call for it to have its own main lobby, food court and bus stops.

Vito
07-30-2008, 11:31 PM
We were just at Pop in June and we ended up getting preferred as we had no room # assigned to us when we made our ressies there. we were in teh 60's building 3rd floor with a view of the lake.we wer enot that far from the elevator and the walk to classic hall was not to bad . I think the best expierince was well 2 best , A meeting a new pen pal from England in teh smoking section, and B being woken up our first night there around 11 . I thought it was my neighbors doing something :blush: until I heard some talking outside of my room and i got up to investigate and it was wishes :cloud9: . it was such a magical thing and on my very first night staying for teh very first time on disney property . POp is now our new disney home.:number1:From some wings, especially if you're on the 3rd/4th floor, you can also see Spaceship Earth and Illuminations taking place as well.

We were in the 50s building that's furthest from Classic Hall (building two) and we were on the 3rd floor at the VERY end of the building. Basically, we were literally at the point farthest away from Classic Hall. We didn't find the walk to be outrageous, although I wouldn't say it was a "short walk" either. We really didn't mind though. (EDIT: I meant to say that it's farthest from the buses. The 90s buildings are probably farther from the Hall, but you can cut across by the parking lots and end up with a shorter walk to the bus stop)

I don't know if they still do this or not, but a couple of times we've faxed a letter directly to the hotel (the numbers can be found here on Intercot), a couple of days before your arrival nicely requesting a certain building if it's available. I remember that we ended up getting the building we requested at French Quarter when we did this.

(ETA: I would say that 5 minutes is about the maximum walk you'll have at POP walking at a relatively normal pace.)

Stich8818
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
i think with any resort you will have to walk a minimal distance to get to the hub of everyting. We actually paid for a prefferd room ( 70s right near the Mickey phone) and while we were down there we didnt even swim in the big pool we walked down to the 80's pool...both my wife and I said we would stay there next time..pay less and just leave early to get the busses. We love POP. Not to mention the biggest assest..Exclusive bus line.

LuvsTigger80
07-31-2008, 12:55 PM
For our first WDW vacation (april 08) we stayed at the POP. We were in the 80's. Our only complant was that we were far from Classic Hall. We are hopefully going back Jan/Feb 09 and we are thinking of getting the preffered rooms. Is this a good idea? Or should I just call and request a certain decade?

MadisonvilleMouse239
07-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Pop is bigger than the other value resorts. It says in the resort section of Intercot that Pop has about 5700 guest rooms, and the all star's have about 1800 guest rooms. We have stayed at All Star Movies and gotten the perferred rooms. and were very close to the buses, pools, and food court.

We are booking our next trip this Saturday:thumbsup: and we are going to try staying at Pop.

I do have a question. I can't remember where I read this, but I read the Pop was going to be adding a section dedicated to the 1900-40's. Is this true and doesn't anyone know when construction is set to start. I really don't want to be there when construction is going on.

BMan62
07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
I do have a question. I can't remember where I read this, but I read the Pop was going to be adding a section dedicated to the 1900-40's. Is this true and doesn't anyone know when construction is set to start. I really don't want to be there when construction is going on.

Pop Century: Legendary Years was begun, but construction was curtailed after 9/11. There are parts of buildings - Main Hall and a couple buildings of rooms - that were built but are now in a state of disrepair - across the 'Generation Gap Bridge.' These will probably need to be demolished and construction restarted from scratch if the project is ever revived.

Last rumor I heard was that these would be built, in the forseeable future, as Family Suites, but there is nothing currently in production.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
07-31-2008, 03:16 PM
If they do, the plans call for it to have its own main lobby, food court and bus stops.

Good to know! :mickey::thumbsup:

AmandaChan
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
We stayed in the 50's area and it was kind of little bit of a walk to the main lobby and the pool. I didn't mind it at all, though. I'm sure it gets crazy and noisy in that main area around the Flower pool and we kind of enjoyed our kind of secluded room from all the mania. Plus we were a close walk to that huge lake in the back and it was nice to walk around back there. Plus we're young and the only time we minded the distance was when we forgot something and had to go back.

The transportation and not having to share the buses with anyone definitely makes up for it.

AmandaChan
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Pop Century: Legendary Years was begun, but construction was curtailed after 9/11. There are parts of buildings - Main Hall and a couple buildings of rooms - that were built but are now in a state of disrepair - across the 'Generation Gap Bridge.' These will probably need to be demolished and construction restarted from scratch if the project is ever revived.

Last rumor I heard was that these would be built, in the forseeable future, as Family Suites, but there is nothing currently in production.

So that's what those buildings are near the exit and entrance?? I was wondering if they were working on a new century or what?

Lynn J Mc
07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
I found both it and Coronado Springs too big. i prefer to stay at the Contemporary tower and take the elevator to the room!!

MadisonvilleMouse239
07-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks BMan62. So much good info on these boards. :rocks: Really makes planning so much easier.

Thanks again!!

Georgesgirl1
07-31-2008, 05:45 PM
DH and I have stayed at Pop Century twice and have never felt that it was too big.
Now Saratoga Springs on the other hand is huge! It takes so long to walk from the far buildings to the food court that it is a really good thing that most of the rooms have full kitchens!!

Rekenna
08-01-2008, 08:10 AM
I think Pop is okay size wise-it doesn't seem any bigger than the All Stars we have stayed at.

The thing we like best about Pop is where it is on the WDW property and the busses.

Vito
08-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Pop is bigger than the other value resorts. It says in the resort section of Intercot that Pop has about 5700 guest rooms, and the all star's have about 1800 guest rooms. We have stayed at All Star Movies and gotten the perferred rooms. and were very close to the buses, pools, and food court. All three All-Star resorts and POP are nearly the same size. POP is only slightly larger (slightly larger buildings) than the All Stars. Each All Star resort contiains 10 buildings, as does POP Century.

The 5700 guest room number was what the total would be if both sections of POP were built, but as is, only approximately half of that total exists now, 2880 rooms. The overall walking distance from the furthest building to the bus stops is only slightly longer than similar distances at any of the All Stars.

Additionally, the buses at the All Star resorts often serve all 3 resorts, which can make POP better in that regard as the buses serve only POP.

Mickey91
08-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Pop is awesome!! And even in the farthest room, it isn't all that far to the Food Court and busses.