PDA

View Full Version : Kennels in Disney?

r4kids
07-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Has anyone had any experience with the kennels at Disney? Good or bad, we are thinking aboout driving down with our 3 dogs and having them stay in Disney. It is only $18 a night. At home it is somewhere between $22 and $29 per dog per night :mad:. We are there for 13 nights! 2 Boxers and a little mixed breed under 20lbs.

faline
07-29-2008, 10:16 AM
The kennels at Disney World are no longer run and operated by Disney World directly. I'm not sure how many folks have had experience with the new oversight.

Management Change at Kennels (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=121144&highlight=kennel)

Mackflava99
07-29-2008, 10:52 AM
We were thinking of doing it next year too- so i'd like to hear how it is-

SBETigg
07-29-2008, 11:29 AM
We've never used Disney kennels, but it seemed like an incredible pain. You had to leave the parks to walk your own dogs. They wouldn't walk the dogs, and I'm not sure they handled feeding, either. It was basically a place to keep your dog while you enjoyed the parks, but basic care was still up to you.

With new management, this may change. I love my dogs, but I prefer to leave them in the care of others now and then so I can enjoy an uninterrupted vacation. Fortunately, I have a great facility near my house that they seem to enjoy as a vacation, too.

DisneyDog
07-29-2008, 11:30 AM
If you are driving down, I am going to recommend something different...stay at Universal. They allow dogs in their hotels and the accomodations are gorgeous. We left our dogs at the Disney kennels for a few hours once and thought they were loud, smelly and hot. I don't recommend them. You are still responsible for caring for your dogs even though they are in the kennel. You have to leave the parks to come out and walk your dogs, and you have to feed them. The kennel is just a place to put the dogs, not to have them cared for.

The lowe's resorts at Universal will cater to your dogs...give them special bowls, special treats, you can even arrange for dog walkers. You all know I love Disney as much as the rest of you, but I believe Universal's hotels are far superior to Disney's. You may have to drive a few minutes further, but it will be worth it to have your dog with you rather than board him/her at that awful kenel...and you get to stay in a first rate resort.

faline
07-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Please remember that the kennels are now under new management and the experiences that folks had when Disney ran the kennels no longer applies.

r4kids
07-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I called yesterday to get some basic info. They do walk your dogs and feed them. I just didn't know what experiences others had.

r4kids
07-29-2008, 12:00 PM
If you are driving down, I am going to recommend something different...stay at Universal. They allow dogs in their hotels and the accomodations are gorgeous. We left our dogs at the Disney kennels for a few hours once and thought they were loud, smelly and hot. I don't recommend them. You are still responsible for caring for your dogs even though they are in the kennel. You have to leave the parks to come out and walk your dogs, and you have to feed them. The kennel is just a place to put the dogs, not to have them cared for.

The lowe's resorts at Universal will cater to your dogs...give them special bowls, special treats, you can even arrange for dog walkers. You all know I love Disney as much as the rest of you, but I believe Universal's hotels are far superior to Disney's. You may have to drive a few minutes further, but it will be worth it to have your dog with you rather than board him/her at that awful kenel...and you get to stay in a first rate resort.

We got a trade in through Interval for WL and we are doing the dining plan. My sisters both live down in Orlando but 1 sister has 2 Boxers herself so it would be TOTAL chaos to have them stay there.

Young@Heart
07-29-2008, 05:25 PM
We're dropping our little baby (7 yr old Shi-tzu) off at the WDW kennels in a few days, so when I come back, I'll be sure to post a separate kennel review. :thumbsup:

Last trip (2006), she stayed at a kennel in the Orlando area. It was okay, but seemed very crowded. We had to pick her up early the last day, so she stayed for the day only at the AK kennel. She was only there for a few hours, and they seemed fine. Certainly less crowded than the other place, although the CM seemed very grouchy. :(

I've checked out the website for the new management, and at least online they look pretty good. It certainly is more convenient now that they'll walk/feed your dog, and much nicer that we can visit her w/out having to leave WDW property. :mickey: