PDA

View Full Version : How are these initial choices?

brewcrew26
07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
We are just in the initial stages of planning. DH (26) and I (27) are going with my DB (47), and two of my good friends 30 and 27. It will be my brother's first trip since 2001. And I don't think either of my friends has been to the World before.

Since we're only going to be there for 4 nights we decided not to do the dining plan (I also don't think it was an option since we booked through the Disney running reservations number instead).

We'll be celebrating our 1-year wedding anniversary while we're there (it's technically two weeks before). How are some of these initial dining choices that we're thinking about? We wanted to try something different from our honeymoon in April.

House of Blues - dinner
Tokyo Dining - dinner
1900 Park Fare -breakfast
Narcoosee's - dinner

I'd like to gets some stories before we have to make our ADRs. Thanks! :mickey:

SBETigg
07-28-2008, 09:32 PM
Narcoossee's is the only one I've tried, and it is a great choice. Excellent food and service. I celebrated my seventeenth anniversary there and the service was incredible. I booked the trip for my anniversary and stayed at the GF. I didn't tell Narcoossee's it was my anniversary, because we celebrated that at Cali Grill a few days earlier. But Narcoossee's knew it was our anniversary trip and gave us a complimentary champagne toast, special spun sugar artwork with dessert, and a card with our wine label, names, and date of visit. Truly special.

KAT1811
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I have never been to House of Blues so I cannot comment on that one. I am not a big fan of eating in DTD. I much prefer the parks and the resorts. The menu sounds interesting enough but personally I would do something a little more "Disney" with people that have never been to WDW. Maybe 'Ohana, San Angel Inn (love the atmosphere and the :marg: ), Chefs de France, Hoop-Dee-Doo Review, Whispering Canyon would be some interesting alternatives.

Tokyo dining, asian is not my thing but I love all of the Epcot eateries so I'm sure this one is just as fabulous. You could try to get a late seating (the park seats almost up until closing) and then when you are done dining and are walking out of the park you feel like you have all of Epcot to yourselves.

We really enjoy 1900 Park Fare for dinner but have never been to the breakfast. How can you go wrong in the GF? Sounds like a great breakfast. Another good buffet breakfast is Crystal Palace in the MK. You can also make your ADRs before the park opening. Just an alternative choice but 1900 sounds great.

We are trying Narcoossee's for the first time on our upcoming trip. I have heard nothing but rave reviews so far.

Have a great trip and Happy 1st Anniversary!!!! :congrats:

Wishmaker
07-29-2008, 07:33 AM
House of Blues - dinner
Tokyo Dining - dinner
1900 Park Fare -breakfast
Narcoosee's - dinner

House of Blues - How can you go wrong there. Amazaing!
Tokyo Dining - good food and fun. I am sure you have been to something similar in your area. It will be no different, but always a good show.
1900 Park Fare - It's a buffet, but Alice and the Mad Hatter are enough fun for everyone. I would love to meet that guy outside of work. He has to be a hoot.
Narcoosees' - Never have experienced this one but have always heard good things.

You have picked some amazing choices. YOu will be pleased. Have a great trip and congratulations.

dixielandings
07-29-2008, 09:57 AM
None of your choices would be among my first choices, but that's part of the joy of Disney Dining - the OPTIONS! The only one I would encourage you to reconsider is HOB. I'm like the PP - I don't care for DTD dining much. For a relatively short trip and with potential newbies, I'd stick with more Disney fare - 'Ohana, Liberty Tree, 50's Prime Time, Boma are all good choices, for a start.

And you can hardly go wrong with any Epcot restaurants. We usually end up eating there at least twice on trips of ANY length!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I've actually never eaten any of those, but have heard good things about them....I would be interested in hearing your reviews:)

SBETigg
07-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Tokyo Dining - good food and fun. I am sure you have been to something similar in your area. It will be no different, but always a good show.

I could be wrong but it seems that you are confusing Tokyo Dining, the new Japanese table dining in the building, with Teppan Edo, the hibachi style replacement for Teppanyaki. There is no show at Tokyo Dining, and it's not the same food or presentation, though the menu may feature similar items, for example, some of the sushi dishes.

brewcrew26
07-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I'd stick with more Disney fare - 'Ohana, Liberty Tree, 50's Prime Time, Boma are all good choices, for a start.

We ate at all but Ohana on our honeymoon amid those choices. But that's a good idea. I hadn't thought about that one. I might look into that one a little further. And since we'd be paying out of pocket that should be a pretty good deal and a nice "welcome" on the first night.

I could be wrong but it seems that you are confusing Tokyo Dining, the new Japanese table dining in the building, with Teppan Edo, the hibachi style replacement for Teppanyaki. There is no show at Tokyo Dining, and it's not the same food or presentation, though the menu may feature similar items, for example, some of the sushi dishes.

We were going more for the sushi options rather than the teppanyaki. Otherwise, we were also considering Kimono's at the Swan/Dolphin possibly but the prices looked significantly steeper.

It's so hard to do some of the really Disney restaurants because we've been disappointed in the past. 50's Prime Time was so mediocre in April that we wanted to give that one a rest for awhile to see if it would get better. LTT with the changes to the dinner and no character meal kind of takes some of the magic of that restaurant away. Otherwise, I feel like I'm payiing to eat Thanksgiving food with no entertainment unless they plan on adding some other perk to LTT that hasn't been announced yet.