PDA

View Full Version : Late August Theme Park Essentials

LeeAnn
07-28-2008, 04:52 PM
What to bring into the theme parks in Late August?

Want to limit this as much as possible. Going w/ double and single stroller so I may store items under the stroller. However, we're using Disney transporation and at the end of the day must close the strollers (w/ young sleeping kids) so all items must fit in a small tote for easy carrying.

What are MUST-Haves for this time of year?

disneymom15
07-28-2008, 05:34 PM
How many kids and what are their ages?

LeeAnn
07-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Dd5, Ds4, Dd2

disneymom15
07-28-2008, 06:01 PM
I would say, change of clothes for kids (in case they have an accident). My daughter always had to have her misting fan. Ponchos , incase it rains.

princessgirls
07-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Strollers a MUST!! We have never regretted bringing strollers for our girls.

Misting fan bottles, lightweight clothing. It is HOT, and I always packed a few drinks.

Enjoy!

Julie:mickey:

Mousemates
07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Sunscreen...lots of sunscreen

LeeAnn
07-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Looking for list of essentials (as mentioned) sunscreen, rain ponchos, etc. more specific to late August. Guess looking for items to help kids w/ the weather.

Do you need to bring extra pair shoes for the kids? Does it rain that bad?

Do you need water fan misters? Are they a must have?

sdewan
07-29-2008, 07:15 PM
We have these cheap vinyl bags that are about 12x16 with two strings to cinch it closed, so they can also be worn as packpacks. They are great for carrying around non-valuable necessities because who cares if they're stolen:

- bottled water (so you don't have to pay $3 everytime someone gets thirsty)
- rain ponchos
- change of clothes for the younger kids
- hats
- sunscreen

Chances are that it will rain while you are there. Most likely just a brief afternoon shower that cools things off but it could also be a 3-day soaker. We do not wear shoes in the parks in the summer - only sandals or flip flops. They can get wet and still be functional, plus they dry faster. Even during a brief shower, it can rain hard for a short period of time, and I've seen 3 inch-deep puddles of water appear on the sidewalks at EPCOT which will ruin your sneakers because you won't expect them.

And buy a stroller rain cover. Use it when you go onto a long attraction even if there's only a slight chance of rain. It could be bright and sunny as you enter "Ellen's Energy Adventure" with your stroller parked outside, then 45 minutes later as you exit it is a torrential downpour and your kids will not enjoy sitting in a soaked stroller.

We'll be there in the 3rd week of August. Have fun!

LeeAnn
07-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Do you think there's a need for sunglasses for the kids?

DestinationWDW
07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi! :yes: I have 3 children as well and agree with the other posters. We always have sunglasses for the kids and use them anytime we come - even in December!:cool: I do advise a second pair of sneakers for the kids (and adults!) because as mentioned, even a short rain can cause big puddles! (hard to avoid walking in them if you are stuck in a crowd!) Even just with all the walking you do, a different pair of shoes can be a big relief to your tired tootsies! Have a great trip! :mickey:

crazypoohbear
07-29-2008, 09:20 PM
in no particular order
sun screen
hats
sun glasses
fans
water
dollar store rain ponchos (extra to cover the stroller) YES it does rain EVERYDAY in August

when my boy's were little I would pack an extra set of clothing in a gallon zip lock bag Just in case (this can be left in the storage compartment of the stroller and it will fold up with the clothes in the bag)

crazypoohbear
07-29-2008, 09:22 PM
oh and I forgot
You could get them each their own fanny packs to carry their sun glasses and small snack foods in. Mine had the fanny packs with the water bottle holder and the wal mart style mister fans fit in that compartment. It gives them all a sense of responsibility to pack their fanny packs each morning.

GhostHost999
07-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Not sure about anyone else, but when I went in late August, there were some days when I was drinking bottles of powerade two at a time, I would say hydration a big thing to be wary of. So I would bring plenty of $$ for drinks.

LisaP
07-29-2008, 11:57 PM
I would suggest taking along your own insulated cups, especially for the kids. Fill them with ice before leaving your hotel and you have a cold drink handy. I also took a pack of baby wipes and refrigerated them each night ... what a cool refresher during the dog days of FL summer.

The stroller rain cover is a must. I bought a stroller organizer attachment by Joovy that held two beverages, as well as couple of slots for small items. I also took a floppy sun hat for DS3, which takes up almost no room at all if he's not wearing it.

Have a great time, and try to stay cool!

DisneyGrrrl
07-30-2008, 08:36 AM
I agree with everything listed above, but I would also like to add stroller covers for the rain.

We picked a nice one up at Babies R Us before our trip last summer (rainy season here in the Sunshine State) and we are SO GLAD we did. It only cost about $15, but it fits over the entire stroller, has waterproof pockets and even vented mesh so the kid can still be in the stroller with the cover over it. And the stroller stayed bone dry.

Now, we forgot it once and what a miserable experience.

It was bright and sunny when we went into a show and by the time we got out, it had POURED and the stroller was soaked. Because DD was only 8 months old at the time, we had to carry her until it dried and buy towels to try and soak it up.

yjgirl32
07-30-2008, 08:55 AM
I would have to say the most important item would be the sunscreen- and to put it on regularly.

For the kids I would go with some form of croc- in case it rains their sneakers won't be soaked for days and crocs are very comfortable on the feet- better then sandles or flip flops.

No matter what you will have a great time- It's Disney! Have a wonderful trip and be sure to report back on all the great memories you had.

dnickels
07-30-2008, 05:17 PM
With the goal being to limit what you have to take as much as possible
-sunscreen
-cheap light rain ponchos (maybe you can use an extra for each stroller rather than buying a stroller specific cover? seems like it'd be cheaper)
-sandals instead of two pairs of sneakers
-don't bring water, you can get cups (not bottled) for free, or there are drinking fountains everywhere with all the cold water you can drink

thumperbug
07-30-2008, 06:33 PM
I would make sure your stroller has a canopy of some type to shade the little ones. You can also get ones that attach to current stroller and extend. Check out the one step ahead catalog. They also have battery operated fans that attach to the stroller. I found a small one at a dollar store that is easy to stick in whatever bag we take with us to the park.

Everyone mentioned the sunscreen, water, sandles/crocs, rain ponchos, etc. We always put a hat on my son. Helps keep the sun out of his eyes and off his face.

Brings a bunch of small ziplock bags and fill them with ice at the parks to help keep kids and drinks cool.

We also bring a washcloth or 2 from the hotel to put under cold water to wipe down and cool off.

As for the mister...definitely get one. You can get them pretty cheap at Target or Walmart...if you get them at WDW they run about $20 a piece.

Another thing to bring is a small first aid kit or some anitseptic wipes and bandaids. They will come in handy for scraped knees etc as well as those unavoidable foot blisters.

Remember at all the parks there are first aid and baby care centers.

Have a great time and stay cool.

disneygeek84
07-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree with croc-type shoes instead of tennis shoes. I had a friend who went a couple of years ago and had a 2 year old and said that they saved them from having wet shoes all day. it POURED in the morning when they got there and she stepped in a HUGE puddle walking into a ride after she got out of her stroller. Her mom said that if she had had on tennis shoes that her feet would have been soaked all day long.

And crocs are comfortable enough for them to wear all day and they keep their little feet cool as well.

Have a wonderful trip!

pixiesmimi
07-31-2008, 12:16 AM
I agree with the others. We went in August last year and the first day there it came a torrential rain storm just as we got off the bus. Everyone was crowded under the bus awning so we put on our ponchos and braved the rain to get into the park and get out of it. It was like walking through a hurricane and by the time we got to the park, we were worn out and dripping wet despite the ponchos. I had on crocs and they dried out pretty quick. DH had on sneakers and had to dry them out that night.

We have always gone to the Dollar Store and gotten cheap ponchos to take along with our Mickey ones. If there is any chance of rain, we used one to go over the stroller and it fits good even with a child in it.

We freeze water bottles the night before and put them in a bag in the bottom of the stroller and they thaw out as the day goes on and gives us a cool refreshing drink. I think the water in the fountains tastes nasty.

I agree about the sun glasses. Protection for children's eyes is crucial along with the sunscreen and hats for everyone. It is HOT in August down there so walk through as many air conditioned stores, etc. as you can along and take frequent breaks in the shows.