PDA

View Full Version : Another crowd question born from Unoffial Guide Advice

deva
07-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I will be at the World October 15-20th. I'm attempting to do all the requisite planning to ensure minimum crowds and maximum enjoyment. While reading the Unofficial Guide and their website, I found info that, at least to me, seems counterintuitive. Here it is:

1. On Saturday, October 18th, the crowds will be at their lowest (a crowd level rating of "4") of all the days I will be there. The other days range from "5" to "7".

2. The website recommends MK as the best park to visit on Saturday, October 18th. There is an AM EMH at Disney Studios this day.

3. Of the 7 days of the week, Tuesday is typically the least crowded day at MK, followed by Saturday.

Am I nuts, or is this correct information? How could Saturdays be relatively not busy at the MK? How could crowds be at their lowest on a Saturday?

If you have extensive experience with planning and crowds, please weigh in & let me know if this info sounds accurate. I am tempted to schedule MK for that Saturday but want corroborating advice from the Disney experts at intercot.

Thank you.

disneyfan328
07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I think that I would have to say that MK is probably the busiest on the weekends and Mondays - My reasoning for this is from reading things on here and various books, it seems to me that a lot of people just have to visit the MK first to start off the vacation with the magic. Since most people start their vacations on the weekends it would then seem that MK would be busiest then - also the people that Live in FL that bring guests ect that are visiting probably most often bring them to the MK.

I can tell you that on our last trip we followed the guides and did not do the MK until Monday and it really was hard to not take the kids to see that castle as soon as we got there. Monday was still a pretty busy day there but it was the only day I could get a CRT ADR so we did it.

momofdisneyprincess
07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I have followed the guide in the past with regard to crowd levels and had very little luck so I no longer use it. I find that weekends, in general, are busier at each park as people take long weekends and residents visit too. I have visited during many different months and October is my favorite. I find the lines at each park are very manageable. My best advice would be to determine in what order you want to get Fast Passes at each park. I had very good luck riding every ride I wanted to the last time we did that. Have fun!

Aggie97
07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
When we were at WDW last month, the MK was not at all crowded on Saturday. We were shocked at how short the wait times were for nearly all the attractions and at how late in the day FPs still were available. We generally avoid the MK on Saturdays.

There were maybe 7-8 other people in all of Liberty Square to watch the second showing of Spectromagic, which was very bizarre. This is completely anecdotal, but we chatted with a couple CMs and their manager before the parade began, and they told us that Mondays often are the busiest days at the MK. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
I thought that Saturday would be busiest too because of day visitors, I think the UOG said Sundays and Mondays were the worst...:confused:

Strmchsr
07-28-2008, 03:47 PM
I think their crowd levels are either old data or inaccurate. During October and December they try to peg Saturdays as low, yet those are the days most of the locals come in to see the decorations. I think they put Saturday as a "good" day because most people seem to end their vacation on Saturday. However, I wouldn't trust any Saturday during a holiday season.

Mackflava99
07-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Mondays and saturdays are busy at MK-
i would avoid it-
I have seen MK very acccessible on fridays-
( we just spanned 2 fridays on a recent trip-

Stay away from Mk on Mondays at all costs

Polynesian Dweller
07-28-2008, 04:51 PM
We always go in October and usually around that weekend. Not sure where they got their information, but it has never been particularly light at MK but it does build during the day and in the evening it is packed.

#1disneyfan
07-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Whenever we go, it is busy in all parks, on all days :thedolls:! However, we have been visiting during the summer months for the past few years.

But seriously, MK is always the most crowded, especially Fantasyland. But always seems manageable, nonetheless.

I would say, pick your parks however you plan on visiting them. I wouldn't go by the guide as your final say.

We have been during the fall months previously, and typically never had any problems at any of the parks. I unfortunately, don't remember which days we visited MK.

Whatever you decide, you will have a great time. Remember you will be in the Happiest Place on Earth, afterall!

Have fun!

thumperbug
07-28-2008, 07:05 PM
We find that MK is busy on the weekends but it has never stopped us from going there on those days. Its true, that it is nearly impossible to get to WDW on a Fri or Sat and then try to tell your kids they can't go there until Monday or Tuesday. Saturday is worse then Sunday but Sunday never seems too bad.

If you are going when schools are out for vacation...then it won't matter what day you go to MK....it will be packed the whole time.

Have Fun....thats what it is all about!!!!

GloMonkey
07-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I will be at the World October 15-20th. I'm attempting to do all the requisite planning to ensure minimum crowds and maximum enjoyment. While reading the Unofficial Guide and their website, I found info that, at least to me, seems counterintuitive. Here it is:

1. On Saturday, October 18th, the crowds will be at their lowest (a crowd level rating of "4") of all the days I will be there. The other days range from "5" to "7".

2. The website recommends MK as the best park to visit on Saturday, October 18th. There is an AM EMH at Disney Studios this day.

3. Of the 7 days of the week, Tuesday is typically the least crowded day at MK, followed by Saturday.

Am I nuts, or is this correct information? How could Saturdays be relatively not busy at the MK? How could crowds be at their lowest on a Saturday?

If you have extensive experience with planning and crowds, please weigh in & let me know if this info sounds accurate. I am tempted to schedule MK for that Saturday but want corroborating advice from the Disney experts at intercot.

Thank you.

I know everyone likes the UOG but when I go to Disneyland I use Ridemax. It is day and ride specific and tells you what ride will be least crowded when. Maybe try Ridemax.

chefmickey3
07-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Do you think that Monday after a EMH on Sunday at MK will still be as crowded? We are traveling mid August.

Mousemates
07-29-2008, 04:26 PM
We like the unofficial guide for its humorous tongue-in-cheek presentation of vast amounts of data, including crowd levels. However, my anecdotal beleif is that they must base their crowd ratings on historical data from too long a time period or that yearly variations for either a particular day or a day of the week are greater than their models can predict.

Also note that they have some basic assumptions which will sometimes skew the park of choice for any given day,---like on a very busy day go to epcot because it handles large crowds well---(there is alot of information concernng their predictive models and their assumptions on their website).

Young@Heart
07-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Do you think that Monday after a EMH on Sunday at MK will still be as crowded? We are traveling mid August.

We used to always take our trips during the last week of June/first week of July.
The parks (all of them) were always busy no matter what day we went, but none of them were so busy that we felt it impacted our vacation. We always did MK on Monday and never had a problems w/ crowds. :mickey: They were more than managable, and we were able to visit many attractions. We always plan a second day at MK, though, b/c no matter what the crowds, it's just not a park you can do in one day.

chefmickey3
07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks, we are going for 10 days this year and the Monday will be near the end of our trip with at least 4 days at MK (it is our favorite!). Glad to know it should be fine.

mouseketeer mom
07-30-2008, 08:03 AM
We have always found MK busiest on the weekends. Saturday in particular. Avoid it then if you can.

pixiesmimi
07-31-2008, 02:15 PM
We've never found any day worse than any other except during the time when Europeans are on vacation because it seems like they all come at one time for some reason. That is fine, though because we like everyone to enjoy WDW. :) But what I have read is that most people leave on Friday and others come in on Sat. or Sunday, which may be the reason it is lighter on Sat. but definately on Sunday. Mondays are the worse. Tuesdays are usually pretty good.