PDA

View Full Version : Random Acts of Kindness -- need some ideas

TikiGoddess
07-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi all,

I have an idea and I'm trying to figure how I can do it. My school (a pre-k to grade 2 school of about 750 students) has a character education program. Each month we focus on one character trait, like honesty, responsibility, respect, and kindness. I am a big believer in RAKs (random acts of kindness) -- one of the reasons I love Disney's YOAMD promotion is all the RAKs that are built into the promotion. Even if it is something small like giving someone a trading pin... replacing a spilled ice cream... it means so much to the person that it happens to. I try to live to that example in my life, and it's something that would be perfect to spotlight for the kids that I work with.

So here's the idea. I need help with this so please let me know any ideas or problems you might see!!

For a period of about two weeks (in November, possibly) our school would host the "Magic of Kindness Project". This could be done in one of two ways.
1. Boxes will be placed in each classroom along with slips of paper that kids can use to write down their good deeds.
*OR* 2. We send one paper home with 4 slots -- when it's finished they turn it in.
Either way, I collect the papers from each room at the end of each week and post them on the wall outside my room. I'm not sure which system would work better - slips or papers that get sent home. It has to be something that the classroom teachers won't have to do much with (they have enough to do already).

A community sponsor (don't have one yet) would agree to pay a certain amount for each RAK. At the end of the two weeks, we tally the results. Money would be given to a certain Disney charity that helps to send sick children to WDW.

An perhaps this certain Disney charity might also be interested in contacting their sponsors to match whatever funds our school raises, and to help start a webpage where people in the Disney community could post their own RAKs, to see if they could match the amount of RAKs from the school.

What do you think? I don't really want to ask the kids (or parents) at our school for money -- I'd rather the focus be on the RAKs. Do the kids need some other incentive to participate in the program? (like an ice cream party for the class with the most kindnesses...)

Does anyone know about asking companies for sponsorships? I am going to contact my principal and see if she knows of some businesses that might be interested (as we have some kids whose parents work for the big companies in our area).

What else am I missing?
Thanks for any help or support!
Kathy

goingbacktodisney
07-28-2008, 04:36 PM
WOW..What a great idea! I teach K at a K-4 school in East TN and I would love for our school to do this inconjunction with yours! Please send me pm if your interested in spreading your idea.:D

laprana
07-28-2008, 05:30 PM
I love this idea! Some of the school districts in my area also have a character education program that kind of spreads out into the community. Businesses and community groups help to promote the character trait of the month by putting it on their signs, etc. It really does get the whole community involved, not just the school. Is this kind of how your program works? I would think that local businesses would be glad to sponsor something like this! Gets their name out there as being a good neighbor in the community and also helps a great charity for a great cause.

I like the idea of kids writing out their own RAKs and putting them in a box. That seems like it would give them a little more ownership and responsibility for their RAKs, which would then make them feel more proud of what they've done! And I also think rewarding the kids with the most RAKs with some kind of pizza party or ice cream social is a great idea! Gives them an added incentive!

Maybe you could really teach the kids about the charity and why they're raising money for it, then it becomes more personal for them and gives them a better understanding of what they're raising money for. This is a really great idea! Keep us updated on how it goes!! :thumbsup: