PDA

View Full Version : Input needed on pop-ups

dinahvixen
07-27-2008, 08:58 PM
We are tent campers, but after another sleepless camping trip, we are considering buying a used pop up camper. My problems with tent camping are:
1. SO much time spent setting up tent and accessories (bedding, chairs, dining area, etc.) and then taking everything down, and then letting things dry and repacking, etc. etc.
2. SLEEPING! We finally bought cots to try to sleep on - mind you I am a horrible sleeper anyway - but the air mattress and floor mats just didn't cut it. Cots are an improvement. But our last camp site was sloped so everyone kept sliding down in their sleeping bags. The other problem with sleeping in the tent is temperature and humidity - it was so sticky it felt like we were sleeping in soup. I couldn't get the baby cool enough in the beginning of the night and I couldn't get her warm enough in the middle of the night as the temps dropped.

So, I am hopeful that a pop up would solve these problems. We love the outdoor activities and being out on trails and in the lakes and just out there together with no electronics, but by the next morning we're so tired we don't do any of things we had been looking forward to. Would a pop-up be dramatically different from a tent? I know they're not as deluxe as other campers, but knowing our problems above, what do you think? How about the mattresses? Comfortable?

Another idea is that if the pop up is significantly better, we could use it at FW and save a little money and spend more time at the parks - but not if we're as sleepy as after tent camping!

joonyer
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
We are also long time tent campers who have upgraded to a pop-up, so I know exactly where you are coming from. We are a family of four, (2 boys, now 15 & 12) who love to camp. My wife grew tired of sleeping on the ground (even with air mattresses and the long time to set up and even longer to pack up when leaving.
We bought a used pop-up (5 years old but like new, had only been used twice) and have not regretted it for a minute.
Compared to using a tent, it is much easier and more enjoyable. Especially with A/C, we can enjoying camping even in the summer.

SET-UP: I have my two boys trained in the set-up procedure and it takes us about 15 minutes working together to set up once we have got it parked and leveled. It usually took us at least 90 minutes (even with much practice) to set up with the tent, awnings and air mattresses, etc., so that is a great improvement. Packing up is even faster. The only drawback is: if you pack up the camper in the rain or when wet, you have to open it up again when you get home to let everything dry or mildew will form on the tent fabric & vinyl. The other advantage to using the pop-up is the storage spaces built into it, so we can leave all our accessories and extra camping gear, lanterns, flashlights, hoses, electric cords, soap, towels, cooking utensils, etc. stowed in the camper. When we get ready to leave all we have to pack up is our clothing and fresh food and we are ready to go. It used to take me several hours with a checklist to pack and load up the truck when we went tent camping. Now it's almost just hitch and go. Each time we camp we make a list of items we keep in the camper that may need replacing, like paper towels, plates, plastic utensils etc. which we replenish when we get home so the camper stays stocked and ready to go.

SLEEPING & COMFORT: This is the biggest improvement over the tent for us. We splurged and bought 4" thick memory foam to replace the foam mattresses that came with the camper and I sleep as well or better than I do at home. And since the beds elevated, they are much easier to get in and out of than an air mattress on the ground. Our camper has one king size bed on one end and a queen on the other, as well as the beds that you make from the cushions for the dinette, so we have plenty of room for sleeping. Our camper has a 12 foot box, and the beds extend out from that so it's easy to move around inside. And the A/C makes for comfortable sleeping even on the warmest nights We pull it with a crew-cab pickup with a tonneau cover, so we have storage for any extra gear in the back of the truck.
Plus it has a stove, sink, 3-way fridge (battery, AC current or propane) and propane furnace. It also has a outside propane grill where I do most of the cooking in warm weather.

PROS & CONS: In deciding to buy the pop-up instead of a travel trailer (TT), my primary consideration was cost (paid less than $5,000 for a like-new camper) and storage (parking) space. I don't have room at home to park a TT and would have had to pay storage to park it elsewhere. The pop-up is also easier to tow and doesn't take as much fuel to tow as a TT.
The biggest disadvantage to a pop-up vs. a TT, is a TT is almost instant set-up, most TT's have more floor space and a bathroom with a shower (although some upscale-pop-ups have showers and toilets). We do have a chemical porta-potti for late night use by my wife when she doesn't want to walk to the campground bathroom and it works well, with no smell at all. But some people want more comfort and privacy. Since we were used to tent camping, it's no big deal for us. IMPORTANT TIP: If you buy a used camper (pop-up or TT) more than a year or two old, replace the tires (even if they look new) or make sure you have two spares. We lost both the tires on ours on the same trip due to dry-rot, with only one spare; talk about a major pain! Now I always travel with two spares (even with new tires on the camper).

We have thoroughly enjoyed our pop-up and wish we had bought one sooner. If you decide to buy one, you won't regret it. If you love to camp, you'll go more often because it's so much easier than tent camping.

medic9016
07-28-2008, 04:49 PM
We also went from a tent to a PUP and now to a TT. It was a lot better than sleeping on the ground, and the AC is great. Our problems was that our PUP was too small. We had more room in our tent. You can get a great deal on a PUP or even a Hybrid right now. Just take your time and find the right camper and price for you. It's a buyers market right now for campers.

dinahvixen
07-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks! As you can see from my post several weeks ago, we've really been thinking about it, I just hate to spend the money - but I found a place that will rent them, so I think we're going to do that on our next trip and then quite likely buy one - thanks for the input!

Camping Mom
07-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Going from a tent to a Popup was great for us with 3 DS. A trick I learned almost too late...

In the heat of summer, close the curtains on the beds to keep the cool air in the living area of the pop up. No curtain? Use a sheet and clothes pins like I did.

In the winter, finally put an electric blanket on the bed. Wonderful....

The A/C being on and feeling cool when you come back from a long day at the park is well worth buying or renting one for. Enjoy your trip.

Janmac
07-29-2008, 12:10 AM
We too went from tent to pop-up for mostly sleeping comfort reasons.

We bought a small used pop-up with a crank-up top, and not many amenities inside. I fully expected to keep this pop-up only a few years, while we learned the ropes. MOST folks only keep their first RV (if you will - non-tent camper thing) only a few years, while they figure out what works for them. Makes sense to buy used first if you can find a good deal. As joonyer said, prepare to buy new tires. And foam. We always buy new foam.

After two summers and several nights, we were ready for a brand new pop-up with the amenities that we thought we needed. Here's a very good tip: don't bring your DH and your grandson with you to the dealer. They will nag and plead and moan until the top of the line pop-up is the one you sign for. :blush:

Our brand new pop-up had the electric top raiser and what a life saver that was. With the crank model we were ready to come home in 2 weeks. With the motorized lift, we would stay out camping for 5 weeks and more. DH taught school, and as soon as we could, we'd gather up a grand kid or two and head out camping around the country. The first summer we put 9,000 miles on the pop-up.

We too had a set up routine and could have the pop-up ready in 15 minutes. For some reason we never got it ready to leave in under 30. Guess we weren't ready to leave. The only time we regretted having a pop-up over a travel trailer type of thing was setting up in a southern Florida state park in June. The mosquitos were so thick we could barely blink our eyes.

Our pop-up had the shower and toilet - it was not a porta-pottie as it had a removable tank to empty. During the day we used the campground facilities but after dark we used our own. Mostly because of skunks. One night I started out to the bath house and didn't even get down the steps. I'm not messing with a skunk.

Our pop-up had two king sized beds and they are such spoilers. They are almost too big for king sized sheets. Few travel trailers have king sized beds. DH and I had one bed and our two grandkids (cousins) had the other.

When our two youngest grandkids got older, we traded for a travel trailer with bunks. We still miss our pop-up, but the TT has a full fridge, so we get to bring ice cream along. :D And now we stop at a parking lot at lunch time, and go in the TT for lunch.

The best tip I can give you about buying a pop-up or any kind of RV is visit many dealers. Most of the RVs have very similar amenities. The major difference is in how well does the dealer treat you. Service is the biggest make or break thing. If the service dept. is hard to get along with, doesn't matter what brand of RV you have. Your pop-up will take a beating, just being pulled along behind, so you will likely be visiting your dealer more often than you think. Your camping experiences will be a lot more fun if the dealer/service dept. isn't a hassle.

Enjoy!

Jan

JRocker
07-29-2008, 11:13 AM
We did the tent camping thing for a long time, then about 8 years ago we bought our pop up.
We have taken very good care of our baby and have never had a single problem with it.

Most have mentioned everything I have to say, but I think it is worth repeating....

With a popup, you still get that being in the outdoors, tent camping, feeling.
Everything (except food/drink) is sitting in the driveway, ready to go. Hitch it up and roll on down the road.
AIR CONDITIONING :number1: Even on burning hot days, the AC in a popup can make things bearable. (reflective material clipped on the bunkends can make quite a difference also)
Setup and tear down is so much easier.
If you buy used, put new tires on it (or find out when the tires were replaced). Trailer tires break down differently than your car tire. The deterioration typically occurs on the inside of the tire, so treadwear won't necessarilly be a good indication of wear.
If properly cared for, a popup will provide years of reliable service.

With all that being said....I think I need to go camping...

SoaringEpcot
07-29-2008, 12:05 PM
The pop up is the way to go. I have been camping in one my whole life. We usually go about once a month. I also suggest getting the foam mattres as well. If you don't after 4 or 5 nights your hips do tend to get sore. Just being off the ground make it nicer and also dito on the AC. I got my DW camping in a pop up and she said she would never sleep in a tent again.

Daddy Mouse
07-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Pop ups are convenient and easy to set up. I would only use one with AC down at WDW because of the humidity.

CU Tiger
08-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I was the hold out for us going from the tent to a pop-up. :shake: After setting up a tent in the rain, :rain:putting up with a hail storm, taking down in the rain, and drying everything out after coming home, we went out and found a nice used pop-up the following week:mad:. The items I like most about our model is that it has a slide out that give you a lot more interior space and the storage unit on the front is accessible from the top or slides out the side for access while you are setup. Unfortunately, this gives you a lot more storage space that we fill with more junk to set-up. The time we spent setting up the tent vs the pop-up is a wash due to the extra stuff we carry now that we would have never carrier tent camping.
I think you will be happy with your decision. Having heating and cooling will also allow you to camp more days of the year and in places with climates that you would hate to tent camp. We have really expanded our camping time frame and geography. :mickey:

rjmurphy
08-15-2008, 08:49 PM
You have gotten alot of great advice already. We have been popup camping for three years now. We looked at used ones for a while, but my DW gets the willies at the thought of living with some one elses' dirt, our own is OK though :D. My only advice to you is research, research. Look at Fleetwood(which we have), Forest River(Rockwood), and Jayco web sites, those are the only ones that I can think of right now. Most camper shows are in the winter so if you can wait until next spring before you purchase, you should be able to kill alot birds with that one stone. I'm sure there is a show in a city the size of Cinci. Good luck in your quest.

yjgirl32
08-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I LOVE our pop-up. I had gone camping a lot with my grandparents and aunts & uncles and it was so much fun. I talked my husband into going camping with a tent and then we went for a pop-up. It has been great for us so far. Good luck and have fun.

GloMonkey
08-19-2008, 09:43 PM
We have a pop up. Quickly the advantages are:

much larger than a tent
the sleeping area is usually quite large we have a Double and a Q
Thick foam mattress PLUS we went to Costco and got memory foam toppers for them which we also have on our bed at home. SOOOOO COMFORTABLE
with hookups you and use AN AIR CONDITIONER!
In cold weather a heater, ours has one built in

water proof and some even have a toilet area, (ok for middle of the night deals but I would use a normal toilet for other times of the day :blush:)

anyway my 2c