PDA

View Full Version : Books written about Disney

KT1234
07-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Everyone!

I don't know about anyone else but I absolutely LOVE reading books written about WDW. I have no idea but it just brings back that magic and excitement that I always get when planning to go to Disney! I think I've read my unofficial guide cover to cover a ton of times. Silly, I know but this especially helps to tide me over between trips!

I'm going away in about a week (somewhere besides Disney this time!) and it's going to be a long plane ride. Does anyone have any recommendations on books I could read about Disney? Maybe with some insider info? The only thing I'm NOT interested in are books that have an incredibly cynical view of Disney and just seem to trash the place. I love the place so I hate to hear(or read!) people trashing it simply to trash it. ANY recommendations at all would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

Katie

Strmchsr
07-27-2008, 07:09 PM
The Imagineering Way is one of my favorite books. Also, any of the Imagineering guides to the parks would be a lot of fun for you to read if you like behind the scenes stuff.

Camping Mom
07-27-2008, 08:08 PM
While I enjoy reading about WDW, too, I like reading more about the people who have been a part of Disney...Annette Funicello's autobiography, Walt Disney Biography...

Hope you find a good book...enjoy your trip.

Mousemates
07-27-2008, 08:40 PM
WE like most of the imagineer oriented books like the Imagineers Fieldguide guide to MK, EPcot, AKL.

EpcotNut
07-27-2008, 09:16 PM
I just finished "Spinning Disney's World" by Charles Ridgway - a great read. Mr. Ridgway was in Disney's PR Department since the days of Walt, himself. It's an excellent "insider" view filled with great anecdotes. Also reading Jason Surrell's "The Disney Mountains: Imagineering At Its Peak". A great look at some of Disney's most amazing accomplishments - the mountains. Hope these help! Enjoy your trip! :thumbsup:

minnesotafreeze
07-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Two books I enjoyed were "Imagineering" and "The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies." :jack:

tinksmom02
07-27-2008, 10:05 PM
I just finished "Spinning Disney's World" by Charles Ridgway - a great read. Mr. Ridgway was in Disney's PR Department since the days of Walt, himself. It's an excellent "insider" view filled with great anecdotes.

I really enjoyed this book, as well!

To the OP, thanks for this thread, now i've got lots of great book ideas to read during my "lengthy" three week break between classes in Sept LOL (Usually it's only 2 weeks!).

Magic Smiles
07-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Hope you get even more replies. I have been wanting to get some good books about Disney also. I would love to read something about behind the scenes. After taking the Keys to the Kingdom tour I want to know more.
I just finished reading the The Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson. Even though this is a kids book it was great to read it and know all the places that the author was referring to. My DS had read it while we were in Disney on one of our visits so would look for things mentioned in the book.

KT1234
07-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks so much everyone! I've got a ton of great ideas now. If anyone else has any other ideas, I'd love to hear those too!

Take care,

Katie

brownie
07-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Here's a list I put together on another thread:

Disney Book (http://intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1523870&postcount=7)

DisneyBabies
07-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Kate-
here are some books that I just purchased from amazon.com:
Disney - By David Smith
Walt Disney World Trivia Book I and II -
Louis A Mongello
Hope that helps.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-28-2008, 11:35 AM
The passporter has pages you can take out and put things in and write on etc..., so it could be handy to use in the park as well as reading for the plane....I think I'll check out some of those other books myself:thumbsup:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-28-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the books complied by the former CMs.

Mousecatraz, Realityland, and Mouse Tales volume 1 and 2.

While they will be COMPLETELY different than any other book you might read, they are probably some of the best insider looks at WDW.

And give you perfect examples of how to never treat a CM.

Magic Smiles
12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Well I wanted the new Walt Disney World Trivia Calendar 2009 and so to get free shipping I had to order some books.
I choose:
The Imagineering Field Guide to Epcot at Walt Disney World, : An Imagineer's -Eye Tour
The Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World
Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent on the recommendations from this thread. Lots of good reading for me this holiday.

There were others that I would really like but they would not have arrived in time for Christmas. Merry Christmas to ME!:secret:

DisneyDog
12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
There is a brand new one out, but it is about Disneyland, not Disney World. It is called The Disneyland Encyclopedia: the official, unauthorized, and unprecendented history of every land, attraction, restaurant, shop and event in the original Magic Kingdom.

Long title. It is indeed comprehensive. The author is Chris Strodder. I've never been to California, but it is a very cool book.

ValenciaCalling
12-16-2008, 08:18 PM
The Imagineering Way is one of my favorite books. Also, any of the Imagineering guides to the parks would be a lot of fun for you to read if you like behind the scenes stuff.

I love that book!

ValenciaCalling
12-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Has anyone read "Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination" by Neal Gabler? I came upon it accidentally and I thought it was wonderful.
Definitely a moment of serendipity.

Tinkerbelly84
12-16-2008, 09:03 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the books complied by the former CMs.

Mousecatraz, Realityland, and Mouse Tales volume 1 and 2.

While they will be COMPLETELY different than any other book you might read, they are probably some of the best insider looks at WDW.

And give you perfect examples of how to never treat a CM.

I loved the Mouse Tale book by Koenig! I have all three.

kemps@wdw
12-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I found a book called "DisneyWorld-Then, Now, and Forever" listed on the laughingplace.com website. Am hoping to get it for Xmas. I m constantly looking for any books I can find on WDW. Never miss an opportunity to go into a bookstore and check out their Disney inventory no matter where I am!

Magic Smiles
12-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I found a book called "DisneyWorld-Then, Now, and Forever" listed on the laughingplace.com website. Am hoping to get it for Xmas. I m constantly looking for any books I can find on WDW. Never miss an opportunity to go into a bookstore and check out their Disney inventory no matter where I am!

The book appears to be unavaible everywhere.

I was interested in ordering Mousecatraz, Realityland, and Mouse Tales volume 1 and 2, but I couldn't find them in stock either, however my order from 15 Dec arrived yesterday. Merry Christmas to me. I really wanted to open the calendar, but I am going to wrap it and put it under the tree from Santa.:blush:

paragon
01-15-2009, 07:49 AM
I've got many of the books mentioned above, and I've read them all. One of the oldest I have is a picture/history book I think its called Walt Disney World 20 Magical years, its got some great pre construction photos. On our last trip I picked up the new version Then, Now and Forever, at the resort, though I haven't read it yet.
Another book I read, which I found fascinating, although very long over 500 pages was DISNEYWAR by James Stewart? A vey detailed chronicle of the inner working at Eisners level. It details the rise and fall of Eisner and the inner tension between the Disney executives. Not so much a WDW story, but a story of what went down with Eisner, Igor, Roy Disney and others.

Dragongirlx
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
I Just finished reading realityland and I highly recommend that

DizneyRox
01-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Married to the Mouse is a fantastic read, I highly recommend it. A real eye opener... It's tough to follow, might take a couple reads to really understand everything that went on in building Walt's Dream!

pixiesmimi
01-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Hope you get even more replies. I have been wanting to get some good books about Disney also. I would love to read something about behind the scenes. After taking the Keys to the Kingdom tour I want to know more.
I just finished reading the The Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson. Even though this is a kids book it was great to read it and know all the places that the author was referring to. My DS had read it while we were in Disney on one of our visits so would look for things mentioned in the book.

There is a second Kingdom Keepers out too which is good and sounds like a third one might eventually be out from the way it ends. May be a child's book but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Has you looking at the parks in a whole 'nother way when you go. :)

Frog
01-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Has anyone read "Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination" by Neal Gabler? I came upon it accidentally and I thought it was wonderful.
Definitely a moment of serendipity.

my first disney read. Thought it very interesting and would recommend it highy for info on Walt.

DigitalDaredevil
01-17-2009, 09:09 PM
I am right in the middle of reading Realityland. I am enjoying this book very much. It really makes me appreciate WDW even more than I do. To see what the creators had to do to get WDW accomplished is pretty impressive and frustrating at times. It is a good read.

jonahbear2006
01-18-2009, 03:53 AM
The passporter has pages you can take out and put things in and write on etc..., so it could be handy to use in the park as well as reading for the plane....I think I'll check out some of those other books myself:thumbsup:

I 2nd this. I saw this in walden and I said, "ooooh" so loudly that my dh was like, "shhh!" the 2009 version is Kick butt!!! I recommend to buy for a trip even if you been before. It has maps and all sorts of neat thingamajiggers in it. It would be good for an older child to journal their trip, as well.

kemps@wdw
01-20-2009, 11:35 PM
I just received a book for Xmas entitled "Walt Disney World...Then, Now, and Forever" written by Bruce Gordon and Jeff Kurtti, and am currently reading it. Large hardcover and some absolutely wonderful photos inside! I also loved the WDW triva books, and the Unofficial Guide. I pretty well love to read any WDW. Check the site removed per Terms of Service website for more!:thumbsup: Also, you may consider taking a portable dvd player on board, and watch the planning dvd, or my fave, the History Channels "Modern Marvels" WDW!

Tink#64
01-21-2009, 12:11 AM
I too love to read, especially all things Disney!:read: I've read many of the previously mentioned books but not any of the Imagineering field guides, so now I know I'll have to get those!

I love all of the trivia books that I've read, before trips, DH & DS's like for all of us to read different parts & we quiz each other! I also like "Since The World Began" and I'm currently reading the A to Z Encyclopedia of WDW! It's amazing!:thumbsup:

Lakin
03-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I like the book 'How to Be Like Walt Disney' by Pat Williams and Jim Denney. :)