PDA

View Full Version : MGM recommendations

2Princesses4Us
07-27-2008, 12:16 PM
I have reservations at H & V for lunch and am second-guessing myself now after reading some reviews and experiences. We have DDs 6 and 3 and DS, 1. I need a sit-down meal and a CS meal for our day at MGM.

Recommendations? THANKS! :mickey:

cal5755
07-27-2008, 12:55 PM
I would keep your res. for Hollywood and Vine. You have to keep in mind that not everyone has the same opinion. It may very well be your best meal there while someone else thinks it the worst. We have been there for Dinner twice and have no complaints. We are planning on breakfast this year so our little one can have a meal with the characters. I am sure with the ages of your children that it will be FUN FUN FUN for them because they have the characters for lunch too. My aunt is a picky eater and she was fine with Hollywood and vine.

I do look at reviews here on intercot and take them into consideration. But if I was to cancel reservations because of bad reviews I would cancel all of them. I don't think there is a single restaurant reviewed here on the boards that didnt have negative comments/experiences. Even Le Cellier has a few people who choose not dine there anymore.
You need to try it and form your own opinion. I hope you keep it and have fun!!

2Princesses4Us
07-27-2008, 02:29 PM
You're right about the fact that no single restaurant pleases everyone! I should keep that in mind. I was so excited when I made th reservations... thinking the kids would really like meeting the Playhouse Disney characters. I think that I am going to keep it. At a buffet, you should always be able to find something you like....
I have not, however, seen one good review for ABC so I will rethink that one. The Noodle Station looks great to me as well... and I've only seen one positive review on that.

Thanks Cheryl! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-28-2008, 10:25 AM
We had the same dilemma but have decided to give H&V a shot and are keeping our reservations....we got a lot of positive feedback about Starring Rolls-deli type sandwiches and my son likes Toy Story Pizza Planet for CS....I will tell you the absolute worst food experience we ever had at DW was ABC Commissary and we will never go back

RockinRollerMom
07-28-2008, 10:44 AM
I agree with the PPs that every-one has their own opinions. If there is a restaurant that I want to try I do, regardless of the reviews I read. I have to say besides the meal I ate in mexico, I have never had a BAD meal at disney. Sure some are better than others.

If you are sure you want to chance ressies I might suggest Cape May clambake buffet at the Beach Club. This is where my family eats on our DHS day because we don't like any of the TS options at DHS. It is about a 20 minute boat ride to the Beach Club and we love this buffet. Awesome chowder and steamed clams, plus lots of options for the non seafood eater as well. (Ribs, prime rib etc.)

Good Luck!

Mackflava99
07-28-2008, 10:48 AM
we went to Brown Derby this year for the first time- it was very very good-
Also we have had good meals at Sci Fi and HV so you really can't go wrong.

brownie
07-28-2008, 11:17 AM
I like Hollywood & Vine. I'm assuming they still have their sundae bar; it was great!

We like Backlot Express for counter service.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Backlot is probably the best CS at the Studios. None of the others are anything to write home about, and honestly, I find kinda gross.

bruin1344
07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
If you are sure you want to chance ressies I might suggest Cape May clambake buffet at the Beach Club. This is where my family eats on our DHS day because we don't like any of the TS options at DHS. It is about a 20 minute boat ride to the Beach Club and we love this buffet. Awesome chowder and steamed clams, plus lots of options for the non seafood eater as well. (Ribs, prime rib etc.)

Good Luck!

I agree, i ate at mama melrose & 50s cafe and wasnt impressed, i hear the other ones arent special either, same with all the counterservices, i would prob go to beach club, boardwalk, or epcot for dinner

jonahbear2006
07-28-2008, 01:25 PM
unfortunately you will hear more negatives about a restaurant than you will positives because when its time to complain people come out of the woodwork, however, it takes a stellar experience to make someone want to add a positive comment. And I am not referring to this forum, I am just saying that is how we are by nature. It is very easy to remember bad experiences and as you can see by the restaurant thread, if you took everyone's advice on each restaurant, you wouldnt eat at wdw; at all.

DizneyRox
07-28-2008, 01:40 PM
You are correct, there will be, by nature, more negatives than positives. That siad, I really can't recommend anyone eat at H&V. While many people like it, and I don't lok down upo n those that do, playing the odd, you will likely have a better experience at one of the other restaurants.

Kindof like Hoop Dee Doo and the Luau. You would be hard pressed to find people that don't like the HDD (but they do exist), but no trouble finding people who don't like the Luau.

I would go to a Sci-Fi or Prime Time if you're looking for a kid friendly place. The Beach Club is an excellent alternative too, and the walk over there and back will help work off the food. H&V is on my "Once and Done" list, I found no redeeming qualities to the place. Food, service, atmosphere, etc. Nothing stood out as exceptional, or even satisfactory.

momofdisneyprincess
07-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I guess I am in the minority here. We get the Fantasmic Package at H&V each time we go. Everyone seems to find something they like. As a pp mentioned, the dessert bar is really good. I have a DD5 and she loves it there. She gets the chicken tenders and macaroni & cheese among other things. I must admit, I always get a bit of the macaroni & cheese too. I did not like Sci-Fi. The food was so..so, and I did not like the seating arrangements with children. Without children it was okay but I didn't like having to get out of the "car seat" to help my children and then having to return to my seat. I prefer to sit across from them. ABC was so so.... I really do like H&V though and think you will too. Regardless of reviews, I always give a restaurant at least one try as everyone has a different taste and opinion. Enjoy!