PDA

View Full Version : Never got an answer back from Ask Dave, so I'll ask it here!

JasonH
07-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Lately when I go to WDW, I've been taking pictures of more of the little things that go into an attraction to make it what it looks like. EX:A picture of what is underneath the queue walkway in the droid room at Star Tours.

So while I was on The Great Movie Ride, we were going very slow through the Alien scene, and I was sitting on the very far left of the ride vehicle. I happened to look down just past Ripley and I noticed a "computer panel" that had a bunch of names and their status at that time. Some are comical and others are straightforward. However my question is this: Who are the people listed on that panel? Are they Imagineers or people that had worked on The Great Movie Ride before it opened? Someone please help!! :confused:

disneydeb
07-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Do you remember any of the names?

DizneyRox
07-27-2008, 11:37 AM
They are probably related in some way to the poeple who worked on designing the ride. That would be my guess.

Pop Centurion
07-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Interesting. I've never noticed nor heard of that before. I'll definitely have to look for that next time. Can't wait to see if anyone here knows the story behind the names.

brownie
07-27-2008, 01:03 PM
I did some searching and it looks like they are the names of the Imagineers who worked on the Great Movie Ride.

TheMartellFamily
07-27-2008, 02:19 PM
That would be my best guess as to the names seen. It is those who worked in developing it.

dixielandings
07-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm impressed that you noticed that. My eyes are usually squeezed tight during that part of GMR! haha I'll try to be brave next time and have a look! Thanks for pointing out the detail though - it's one of our favorite WDW pastimes as well.

Imagineer1981
07-29-2008, 12:53 PM
very cool..I'll look for that for sure now...I always look at the slim falling from the ceiling...yuck!

KAJUNKING
07-29-2008, 12:56 PM
very cool..I'll look for that for sure now...I always look at the slim falling from the ceiling...yuck!

:ditto:

JasonH
07-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies so far. I figured I'd help out a little more and provide a link to the photo I uploaded for anyone to see. Hope it helps a lot. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29064603@N05/2714895975/

SurferStitch
07-30-2008, 06:52 AM
That's cool! I'll have to look for that next time!

Bringonthemouse!
07-30-2008, 09:30 AM
I think I would like to be an "Intergalactic Goo Analyst". Thanx for the photo, those are some interesting job titles!
:mickey:

Mufasa
07-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I think I would like to be an "Intergalactic Goo Analyst". Thanx for the photo, those are some interesting job titles!
:mickey:

As brownie stated in the thread, those are imagineers that worked on the attraction.

In many cases, the made up crew status titles are related to their actual role on the attraction. For example, Bob Joslin who is listed as "unexplainable phenomenon expert" worked on special effects, whlle Tim Kirk "interior detail expert" art directed the Alien scene, along with the Raiders of the Lost Ark portion of the attraction I believe.

Then there's Doug Griffith "still programming the witch" which refers to the A-100 animatronic wicked witch that is at the heart of the Wizard of Oz sequence. It can sometimes take as long as 8 hours of work to program one second of movement and Doug was the principal concept character designer on Expedition Everest responsible for the look/design of the Yeti animatronic.

As for some of the other names on that list- Craig Russell (Chief Development and Delivery Executive and former VP of Environmental Design and Ride/Show Engineering), Eric Jacobson (Senior VP, creative development), Bob Weis (Executive VP leading the re-work on Disney's California Adventure), Kathy Rogers (senior show producer recently on projects from the Haunted Mansion and Pirates updates to Expedition: Everest), Michael Sprout is a senior concept writer with WDI (recently worked on Pirates updates and the Pirates Lair at Disneyland and a few projects at Disney Studios Paris) and Eric Swapp is a principal show programmer (he's worked recently on Toy Story Mania).

KathyMO
07-30-2008, 01:45 PM
I have never noticed it. I will have to look when we are there in November. It is great having a forum where you can always learn new things about WDW and thanks to the Disney employees that give us the inside information.

Kathy

jszczur5
07-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah, okay, I'll bite - Who is "Ask Dave"?

JasonH
07-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Ask Dave is from the Disney Insider emails that you can sign up for on Disney.com. The man himself is an archivist for Disney. He also used to have an Ask Dave feature in the Disney magazine before it became Family Fun.

kbean
07-31-2008, 06:04 AM
Those are the names of people that got eaten by the alien.