PDA

View Full Version : what to ship down early

llbmomof4
07-26-2008, 11:15 PM
First trip as a family to WDW in September...DH & I and 4 kids...ages 10,6,4,2. Staying at Poly... I'm planning on shipping a box of stuff down early...does anyone have any great suggestions about what to send?
thanks!

Lorraine444
07-27-2008, 12:54 AM
I did the same thing. My favorite thing that I put in the box was individual packaged pound cakes. We also put peanut butter crackers, granola bars, I was told that sending fruit wasn't a good thing, but I did it anyway. I bought hard peaches & plums & green bananas.
By the time we got there they were nice n ripe.
Single serve powder drink mixes, a case of bottled water. I put a box of cereal & got milk the night before and kept it cold for morning.
Lots of things to pack depending what you like.
Twizzlers was a hit too.

Strmchsr
07-27-2008, 08:47 AM
It depends on what you're wanting to send. If you're thinking food items mostly, I would strongly suggest looking into one of the grocery delivery services rather than shipping something down. It's probably a good bit cheaper. Worth comparing anyway.

RPHX2NC
07-27-2008, 09:06 AM
It was cheaper to ship, and I priced every item I wanted to send and it was way cheaper to ship. I sent 2 boxes with water, soda, beer, juice boxes, coffee, creamer, little cereal variety pack, chips salsa, honey buns, Little Debbie donuts, fruit snacks, PB crackers. We ate 6 days of breakfast in the room. I sent milk.The kind you buy in Europe. It is UV light treated in a box and does not need refrigerated until open. They have large and individual sizes (just like juice boxes) and are in grocery stores near the powder milk. Don't get Choc! I also sent those large size disposable foam coffee cups. I never had time to finish my coffee, this way I could take it with me. Shipping was cheaper than the grocery service. Just price the cereal variety packs and water alone!

DisneyMama18
07-27-2008, 10:12 AM
I sent a box down to our resort last June and plan on doing the same this October. I also sent a case of bottled water, snacks for the kids, poptarts, individual boxes of cereal. I am also traveling with a 2 year old and plan on shipping a pack of diapers, wipes, little swimmers, extra sippy cups, and his treats down in the box. I sent a huge box via DHL in June that weighed close to 30 pounds and it cost about $15 to ship it. I sent it 8 or 9 days before we arrived. You may want to call the Poly and see how they want the box addressed. The WL wanted certain things on the outside of the box, just to make sure it was there waiting for you when you check in. Our box was behind the counter waiting for us.:mickey:

Dyanna
07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Last Oct I sent to our resort a 45 lb box of baby items & other things for our stay at POFQ.. Let me tell you how glad we were that I did this. When we left we only had an extra pack of diapers to take back home with us. The box contents were diapers, wipes, water, baby food, stroller rain cover, snacks, formula, etc.

thumperbug
07-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Definitely weigh out the cost of shipping vs the grocer delivery. Prior to my last trip I had everything I wanted to ship in a box and weighed. The cost wasn't bad but ended up cheaper then the grocer who may have a min order requirement.

In the end, we actually ended up with enough room (and weight) in our luggage so that I didn't have to ship anything.

The milk mentioned in prior post is Parmalat milk. It has a very long shelf life until opened, then needs to be in a frigde. We usually bring those along on trips as well but you can also purchase fresh milk at the hotels.

If you are not staying in a DVC villa then I suggest also purchasing paper bowls, plates, forks etc.

We had stayed at CBR in Feb and the room had a nice sized fridge to keep our milk, water etc cold and also ate breakfast in our room everyday. I also baked and brought mini muffins with us, stored in gladware containers which doubled as safe containers to pack some of our breakable souveniors on the trip home.

LittleRoosMommy
07-28-2008, 11:28 PM
When we went to WDW last Oct., I shipped a 30lb box down to BWI before we left. I was travelling with 1 & 3 year olds, so I shipped diapers. wipes, swimmers, snacks, sippy cups, bibs, etc. I even sent out travel size toiletries ahead. I sent the box about 10 days ahead of our check-in date. Labeled the box the way the hotel preferred, tracked the package via the UPS webiste; when I saw that the package had been delivered, I called the conceirge at the hotel and had them confirm that the box was there and waiting for us. It was delivered to our room before our luggage from ME. We also shipped the box back home at the end of the trip to avoid the overweight charge on the luggage from the airline (I am a chronic overpacker :blush:). I plan on doing this again this October when we go back. Hope this helps!!