PDA

View Full Version : Just got laid off... Still going

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Ugh.. need to vent. As the title states, I got laid off from my job of 4 years (12 years in the industry... 4 years at the latest company) My whole team was laid off... as we were told "Due to structural changes and budget cutbacks." I am now a statistic of the economy... Well it stinks! We have 2 young daughters... and we need both of our incomes. I do get a small severance, which will keep us going for 10 weeks, but it STINKS! And with the economy the way it is ... who knows when I will find another job... I have spent the last week applying at every insurance company in CT and Western MA... sending my resume to every person I know... and posting it on every career website. We had to cancel our August trip to the Cape... which is heart breaking. We had a "girls only" trip planned in late Sept with my mom and my daughters... I know that it is more than 45 days away... and we could cancel... but then dealing with the purchased air tkts would be a bear, and we would lose out. Given that it is free dining, and my kids are under 3... we basically have no costs while on the trip... (Occasional snacks , and tips we can use the Disney Visa Card credits... and we are going to bring breakfast food to eat in the room before we leave for the day. No Suvenirs this time... I will pick some stuff up at Wal MArt... and "Tinkerbell" can leave it on their pillow each day!) My daughters KNOW about the trip... and cancelling would break theri hearts.. and mine (it was their b-day gift instead of gifts and or a party... ) We are going... Which I am happy about... but I am still so depressed about the job thing. Please... If anyone can send good thoughts, prayers or pixie dust my way so I find a job... I would really appreciate it. I am not one that usually asks for help... But I have seen what the power of Positive Intercotees can do... And I need a little this way..

Any way... Thank you for letting me vent.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-25-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your lay off. Unfortunately the economy is bad in spite of Bush saying there is not recession going on. I'm going to PM you a job site that pulls from most other job sites. That way they will send you emails with relevant open positions. It saves a lot of time looking. Also, don't be afraid to register with multiple head hunters. That's how I found my current job. I was actually registered with 3 agencies.
And I think if your trip is already paid for, you are better off going. Just remember to tell any potential employers that you have this lined up and it's paid for and you would lose the money if you cancelled. Good luck with the job hunt.

MegaDisney
07-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Sorry to hear this!

I noticed your edit. I have to admit the title got my attention. :blush:

We are on the verge of layoffs here. Right now they are asking us for voluntary shift reductions to cut back on costs.

Glad to hear your still going to be able to go to WDW. Enjoy your trip and good luck to you in your job search!

mook3y
07-26-2008, 12:27 AM
i so can understand the :( ....

getting laid off can be such a hard transition.

2 weeks before my wedding I was laid off, 2 weeks after our honeymoon, my wife was laid off, 2 months later 9/11 hit a month after that we were expecting our first childe and our world has changed drastically since then.

I just want to offer the encouragement to hang in there and rely on your family and draw close to each other until things settle down a little. It can and will happen. :) Just remember the important things. AND enjoy your trip to WDW.

mickeyfan2001
07-26-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the lay off. I have 2 friends here in Jacksonville going through this also. Sending you :pixie: that you will be able to find a job soon. I hope you enjoy your trip and can leave all your cares behind for a while...

TheRustyScupper
07-26-2008, 09:01 AM
. . . I got laid off . . . and we need both of our incomes . . . severance, which will keep us going for 10 weeks . . . who knows when I will find another job . . .

1) With this info, I would say CONSERVE CASH.
2) As much as you may dislike it, cancel the trip.
3) The few grand refund on the room/tickets can help with bills.
4) If the 10th week comes up without work, this money could come in handy.
5) In my opinion, you should be saving money and not spending it.

NOTE: Key executives, like myself, are prone to being zapped for changes in company politics or company profits. When it happens, our family goes into "prevent" mode and cut all expenses possible, even though the usual severance is 9-12 months of pay & benefits. One just never knows when the money starts to flow again. I know you want the trip, but budgets come first.

#1disneyfan
07-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Wow that really stinks!

We went through the same thing last May, my DH was let go from his job of 6 years. And prior to that job his company had closed it's doors and he had been there for 16 years.

Anyway we struggled with the same issues you are now. We had planned a trip for this August (land/sea) and we didn't cancel. However if he didn't find a job before the unemployment ran out we would have had to. Luckily he found a great job, just under the 6 month unemployment deadline. Now we are still struggling a little to recoup from those 6 months on unemployment, and we had no severence pay.

While I don't know you financial stability, I won't tell you whether or not you should cancel your trip, only you can know that for sure. But I will send you well wishes and all the luck you need to find yourself a great, and hopefully better job!

Good luck to you and have a great time in Disney!

Daisy'sMom
07-26-2008, 09:19 AM
I really am feeling for you. We are also experiencing a difficult time. We could not renew our annual passes this year but we are still planning our annual week trip in December. Last week we needed a Disney fix, so we drove over to the Marketplace.
Don't cancel, as long as you know what you can spend, and stick with the plan, you will be fine. What better than a trip to WDW to forget the world and the mess it is in.:mickey:

wdw_bound
07-26-2008, 09:23 AM
So sorry to hear your news. Sending lots of :tink::tink::tink: your way.

I know things seem pretty bleak right now, but take heart in the fact that this is only temporary, and may open doors you never knew existed.

I was a statistic of the economy after 9/11. It was a very scary time, as mine was the main income (DH is in the social work arena), and our DD had medical needs that were not necessarily covered by DH's insurance.

I now have a career that I love in a field I would never have considered had it not been for that lay-off. Every morning as I drive in, I reflect on how lucky I am to have such a cool job. I have also been fortunate in that my passion has been recognized in the form of advancement opportunities.

We look back at that time now and realize that from a family perspective, it was really good for all of us. Family entertainment consisted of going to the library for family story time. We fed ducks at the park and went on picnics. Breakfast for supper, which started as a budget stretcher, is still something we do, turning it into a pj party where no phones, computers, or tvs are allowed. It is especially wonderful when we are stressed about something.

So, my hope for you is that this obstacle turns into an opportunity for you to find even greater success. And when you land that new position, do what I did - take the family to DisneyWorld to celebrate :mickey:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Thank you all for your kind and positive words.

If cancelling were going to give us a couple thousand dollars... I would do it. But as my kids are under 3, and it was only me (Mom paying her own) The trip (hotel and park tx) was actually only $560 for a 6 night stay. Druing free dining. The flights we wouldn't be able to recoup.. My husband stated he would rather us go... and I kind of agree.

We have been tightening down everything in the past week. We will be cutting back our cable access, careful with eating and shopping. Fortunatly it is great weather for family picnics... and my daughters aren't old enough to care that they are in hand me downs... (which actually is all they have pretty much ever worn!)

THank you for the PM too! I will try it!

I wish I could hang a big neon sign on my head that says "Great worker, responsible and dependable"

dnickels
07-26-2008, 05:39 PM
1) With this info, I would say CONSERVE CASH.
2) As much as you may dislike it, cancel the trip.
3) The few grand refund on the room/tickets can help with bills.
4) If the 10th week comes up without work, this money could come in handy.
5) In my opinion, you should be saving money and not spending it.

It all depends on your economic situation. If you a cushion of savings (not spending savings, but rainy day savings) and no credit card debt then it's probably not going to cause a big headache, but just remember a few things.

1. That $560 will end up quite a bit higher once you add in tips, snacks at the airport, gifts from tinkerbell (even if they're from walmart), getting to and from the airport, etc.

2. Your kids will love you even if you don't go to Disney this September. What they won't love is retired parents who need money because they took a few many trips and didn't save enough while they were younger.

3. I don't know the situation in your industry, but the fact that you're going to be gone for a week in September might make you un-employable until after that. Some employers might not be too keen on hiring someone who is going to be on vacation in such a short time.

I sincerely hope none of those apply to you and that you're able to find a job soon and have a wonderful trip! :thumbsup: Just be smart about it! Disney will be there in the future.

Young@Heart
07-26-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I was laid off several years ago, about a month after we bought our house. :mad: Things were difficult for a couple of months, but I found a better job, closer to home, with more time to spend w/ my DC. Sometimes, what looks like a bad thing can really turn out to be a blessing in disguise. :) I'm hoping your silver lining pops up any day now. :mickey:

And although you didn't ask for anyone's opinions on whether or not to cancel your trip (it sounds like you thought everything through and made the decision that works best for your family :thumbsup:), IMHO-I'm sure you'll have a good time with your mom and your girls and it'll probably be good to have something to lift your spirits right now. :cloud9:

Mousemates
07-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation...since I have limited information I think I'll stay out of the should you or shouldn't you debate...hope your choices turns out to be the right one and your layoff leads to something better. Will pray towards that end for you.

mouseketeer mom
07-27-2008, 09:40 AM
This is a tough situation...can you still really enjoy yourself throughly knowing you are coming home to no job?? A tough call for sure..sending good wishes your way.

Marker
07-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Well, save room on that bench for me. Our earnings announcement is coming up in a week and we're expecting more lay-off/out sourcing announcements.

The latest in MANY layoff announcements for us.

Good luck to you and I'm keeping my finger crossed too.

But no way I'm canceling our trip.

Ian
07-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your job loss. Hope all goes well for you and I'm glad you're still taking your trip!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-27-2008, 02:28 PM
THank you for everyone's well wishes! As far as spending much more than the $560. My mother has agreed to pay for any tips for dinners. And extra snacks can be bought with the points from my disney rewards visa. Both my mother and I can be very tightened down when it comes to not going overboard, and utilizing inroom breakfast food to its greatest potential. ME takes care of costs to and from the airport. And can I have fun knowing I have no job to come home to? Well with my 2 amazing kids??/ In Disney?? I am thinking YES, and if I do not have a job by then, I will need something to take my mind off of things for a while.

I appreciate everyones well wishes and will keep you updated with the progress...

MArker, I really hope that you don't get laid off... My fingers are crossed for you!

DisneyWhirled
07-28-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your job. I hope that you, your girls and DM have a wonderful time. IMHO, the trip is all booked, if you can swing it, do it!

My company is anxiously awaiting news about our longevity. Our parent company has been sold and it is unknown if they will want our service, or close up shop. We have to wait until Oct/Nov to find out. It has been/will be a long wait 'till then. If they don't pick us up, I will be out of a job by year end.

No new trips in our future! We have one planned for Oct 31, 09, but a lot can happen between now and then!

Good luck with everything! Take Care!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Well, I had an interview back at the same company in a different department, and it seemed to go well. It would be my hope to stay at this company, because, well, despite them laying my team off, I generally liked working there, the benefits were pretty good, and I had already been there for long enough to earn more vacation time. If I went to another company I would have to start at square one all over again. (Tho of course... ANY job is better than NO job!) So please!!! Keep the fingers crossed, and the pixie dust coming!!! I will let you all know if and when I hear anything.

Young@Heart
07-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Well, I had an interview back at the same company in a different department, and it seemed to go well. It would be my hope to stay at this company, because, well, despite them laying my team off, I generally liked working there, the benefits were pretty good, and I had already been there for long enough to earn more vacation time. If I went to another company I would have to start at square one all over again. (Tho of course... ANY job is better than NO job!) So please!!! Keep the fingers crossed, and the pixie dust coming!!! I will let you all know if and when I hear anything.

That sounds like very promising news! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and wishing you the best! :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
07-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Good luck with the interview. I sure hope all goes well. Here is some:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:for good news. Have a great time on your vacation, and don't let the job issue get you down. Get into the Disney bubble, enjoy yourselves. Travel safe.

jonahbear2006
07-30-2008, 05:32 PM
You are not alone. We were not laid off, however, our renters moved out recently, suprise!!!! We leave in 33 days and rent from my in laws. We were unable to pay our rent and prob. won't be able to pay next months either. We would love to sell that house but the market is so low, we are afraid of having to lean on his parents for too much time. On top of all of that, I can't wait to see the look on their faces when they find out we have booked a $2300 trip with Disney in 33 days. They will be thrilled. We will give them what we can, get by as much as possible, but this has just dropped a giant stress bomb on us. So, I feel your financial pain! Goodluck finding a job. You may be suprised and find something quite soon.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
09-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Good News!!! I just got a call with an offer today! It is for more money than I was making prior to my layoff and the company is about 10 minutes closer to our home! It isn't my dream job, but it is a good job in a good company and I can always move around within the company once I have established myself for a year or two!

WHOO HOOO

We leave on September 20 for WDW, and now I can go completely relaxed and have the BEST time with my girls!

Thank you ALL for the pixie dust! It worked MAGIC!:cloud9:

BrerSchultzy
09-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Many thousands of congratulations...I was reading through this and saying to myself, "you know self, you shouldn't have gone this past July, all financial things considered, but what we got out of the trip is more of a reward than anything that money could have given us."

So I really glad you get to go, and I'm even more excited to know that you and your family are going to be well taken care of. Continued prayers and pixie dust that this job treats you well!

Jen C.
09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
What wonderful news! Congrats! And just before your trip, nonetheless.

:dighole: Sidenote: Reading through these posts reminded me of a rough job loss DH suffered 1 1/2 years ago. Luckily, we had 8 months living expenses in the bank, and the layoff was for 2. However, all of these comments reminded me of just how common layoffs are in this economy. And although it worked out wonderfully for the OP, it truly might not for most of us. So, in the words of Suze Orman (or any other sound financial planner/adviser), if you don't have AT LEAST 6months living expenses in the bank, you can't afford it! (P.S., she changed it to 8 now because of the economy :()

SFTrny
09-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Getting laid off is always a challenge, but it can also be an opportunity. I was laid of through restructuring back in 2000 and it opened up a world of opportunity for me. We moved back to a place we loved (not knowing how much we missed it) and started a new career. It took a few years to get back to where I wanted to be, but it was a great investment. In retrospect, getting laid off was the best thing that could have happened to me because it forced me out of a bad situation that I was scared to leave on my own.

I hope you find a new position soon and I hope that this turns out to be a new opportunity for you!

Sharon1026
09-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Apply at Disney and write the trip off as a job hunting expense!

Boost
09-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Very sorry to hear about your situation. Our family went through the same thing a couple of times over the past couple of years.

My advice would be to make your decision to go or stay based on your economic situation and job outlook.

I think that we are all experiencing a little bit of what some of our parents experienced during the Great Depression (although I'm sure that back then, it was much worse and they likely didn't have many of the advantages that we do with the gov't bailing some of us out who need help.

Our family's thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tink#64
09-23-2008, 12:25 AM
:woohoo:I say Go! Go! Go! You don't know when you'll be able to plan another trip! This is similar to our experiences over the past year.

After 10 years with his company, DH lost his job last year because the company moved production to Mexico! Dh even made 2 - 3 week trips there & trained someone to do his job! He too received 10 weeks of severance pay. Within that time he hurt his hand & had to have surgery. He did finally get another job within the 10 weeks, so he was never eligible for unemployment benefits. He lost this job on Good Friday of this year! The company cut out an entire shift! Lucky for us we had just gotten our tax refund! Besides a mortage, we have 2 DS's in private school & I was only working part time at my job then (now FT!). But we had already planned a fall trip to WDW, just exactly when DH would have been eligible for vacation time!
So guess what! :joy:We decided to take DS's during Spring Break! I had a week to book, plan, & pack! It was crazy, but fun. I budgeted down to bare bones. We drove for the 1st time, didn't get the hopper option & cut out all but 1 TS meal! We made the entire trip for a couple of hundred $'s more than our unexpected tax rebate! We decided this could keep happening with new jobs - LIFO, & didn't know when we'd be able to really plan a vacation it again, possibly not for a couple of years! Yes we noticed our cut backs on our trip, but we had a wonderful time & are so glad that we made the decision to go. :thumbsup:
Now DH has another job, it seems like a stable & good company but in these times, I don't feel like we have the luxury of job security as much anymore. :( We certainly hope for good things & I'd really like to plan another WDW trip, but now I know not to plan too far in advance & get DS's 11 & 12's hopes up & then have to cancel.

So I say go - & live it up! :pixie: & good wishes for the job search & your decision on your trip!