PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Dining or Deluxe Resort, Which would you choose

Wishmaker
07-25-2008, 06:28 PM
I am considering spending the money on Animal Kigdom Resort. But I started thinking maybe it would be better to spend a little less on a room and stay Moderate and get the Deluxe Dining Plan.

With the deluxe dining I am more interested in eating at the usual 2 table service credit restaurants that you usuall don't go to on the regular dining plan.

However I would love all you proffessional Intercotee's advice. What do you all think in your opinion and experience.

#1disneyfan
07-25-2008, 07:03 PM
I have never done the Deluxe Dining experience, but I always have felt that I have had plenty of food with the regular dining plan.

My family has become quite the hotel snobs when it comes to Disney and we absolutely love the Deluxe resorts.

So in my opinion I would chose the Deluxe resort over the dining experience.

Whichever you decide I am sure you will have a great trip! Write all about it when you return!

Wishmaker
07-25-2008, 07:13 PM
I completely agree that the regular dining is more than enough. :exactly: Thank you for your thoughts. As they say, planning is half the fun.

SBETigg
07-25-2008, 07:20 PM
I would do both, but if I had to choose, it would be deluxe resort. But considering the deluxe is AK, I would be more torn. Regular dining is enough food, true, but if you really like the signature dining, as I do, it does become a tougher choice.

Mousemates
07-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Akl > Ddp Imho

faline
07-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Guess I'll joing the general consensus here. I'd be more likely to pick a stay at a deluxe resort than the deluxe dining plan.

eandrsmom
07-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Last Feb. we did Deluxe Dining and stayed at the GF. I can honestly say that it was WAY too much food for our family. After eating a full breakfast, we really didn't want to eat lunch. Plus, my kids insist that we dine at the Rainforest Cafe, so we had even more meal credits that we didn't use. Some mornings, for fast breakfasts, we'd use snack credits at counter service for pastries. When we checked out, we had a bunch of left over snack credits and a few meal credits.
I really enjoyed the planning and making the Advance Dining Reservations and choosing all of the great restaurants. However, the reality was, it was just way too much food. I'd go with the deluxe resort.

mouseketeer mom
07-25-2008, 08:06 PM
No question.
Deluxe resort and Basic Dining Plan.
The experience at the Deluxe resort is terrific.
We only stay deluxe, and feel like the resort is an extension of the parks. Its more than a place to sleep. We love it!

Kairi_7378
07-25-2008, 08:34 PM
I'd also splurge on the resort rather than the deluxe plan. My husband and I use our TS credits for the signature restaurants and then share CS meals and we are usually very full on our vacations. To me the Deluxe plan seems like too much food and I'd hate to see it go to waste.

BoricuaBell
07-25-2008, 10:18 PM
My family and I have always been restaurant people. My little sister is a chef, so we take food seriously. I would pick the Deluxe Dining because we spend all of our time at the parks anyway. Why pay so much for hotel? Each restaurant is a different wonderful experience to us. Just at the Coral Reef for a family of 3 the bill was over $100, and we were covered by the Dining Plan. I hope you have a wonderful trip whatever you decide!!!

bkfree
07-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I also go the Deluxe resort and Basic DDP.
The Basic DDP is more than enough food. If I ate 2 TS a day, I would not be able to do the parks, I would need a big ole nap and stretchy pants:(

The larger room, larger beds and extra ammenities are so worth it to us and our kids.
Even if we spend only a small amount of time at the resort, it is so worth it.
And if I did the Deluxe Dining for a week, I am sure I would be needing that bigger bed.:)

Also if you use your 2TS for one signature meal, I am not sure you come out that good price wise.

I feel indulgent eating 1 TS each day of our 8 day trip. Add the CS to that and a snack each day and that is more than I would eat at home during a weeks time.

Kerr0173
07-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I absolutely agree with BKFREE!

A lot of people think that you can't get the TS character meals on the basic DDP, but that is not the case. You get 1 TS, 1 CS, and 1 snack every day of your stay. There are only a few dining experiences that require 2 TS credits, and most are places our family would not choose to visit anyway. I don't know how we would have time to do 2 TS meals each day and pack all of the park fun in as well!

Have a great trip either way!:mickey:
Kerrie

Harriet
07-26-2008, 09:15 AM
I have never done the dining plan as it seems way too much food and for a single it is just not worth it unless you are a very heavy eater. I go for the deluxe resort myself. If I could afford the Y&B club I be in 7th heaven but I know it will never happen. I am contented when I am able to stay at WL as it is such a wonderful resort. Next year it will be a moderate as that is all I can afford. The moderates are great as well as the wilderness cabins at FW.

Young@Heart
07-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Although we don't spend much time at the resort when we go, I still think I'd choose deluxe resort over deluxe dining. We always get the regular dining plan, and find there's more than enough food for all of us (usually too much!). I can't imagine adding another TS everyday! Also, all that eating just takes time away from other fun things we could be doing. :thumbsup:

Marker
07-26-2008, 10:10 AM
It's just my own personal opinion, but I wouldn't really do either one. For me the Deluxe Dining Plan has too much food, too many sit down meals, too many ADRs. And the Deluxe resorts don't really appeal too much too me either, too much "foo foo" for me. I like to stay at AKL sometime just to look at the place, and perhaps WL, but really, I'm just not drawn to that much expense for a room.

Aggie97
07-26-2008, 04:23 PM
I'd choose the deluxe resort. We feel they really are worth the extra cost for their theming, larger rooms and beds, transportation, and expanded dining and shopping options. And I just can't eat that much food every day! :mickey:

JenniferS.
07-26-2008, 05:02 PM
This year we go lucky. We booked a package w/ dining at the contemporary and then when free dining came out, we upgraded to the deluxe plan and actually got $400.00 back!!! On the deluxe plan you get an appetizer and the gratuity is added in. You also get the refillable mugs. I would've proabably never upgraded, but we got lucky.:mickey:

Marceline
07-26-2008, 07:03 PM
I would opt for AKL.:thumbsup: Deluxe resorts are so worth it.:cloud9: AND, I would go ahead and make ADRs for a few of your favorite Signature Dining places and then just be budget minded for the rest of your meals.

Personally I don't think the basic DDP is a good value anymore without appetizers or gratuities included. I couldn't work it out as much of a savings if any over just paying out of pocket. The DeluxeDDP just seems like a ridiculous amount of food....you couldn't possibly eat your money's worth.:sick:

Guya103
07-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Hands down, the deluxe resort. Disney's deluxe accomodations provide an incredible vacation element that can't be compensated for anywhere else. The environment, amenities and transportation will elevate your trip quality a great deal.

The deluxe dining plan is way too much to eat in our opinion. Especially in the heat. One sit down meal and we are just about done for the day with eating!

The basic dining plan offers plenty of food and fabulous dining options.:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
07-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm going against what everyone else says. We are staying at a category down from what we usually do so we can do the DDDP.

We spend most of our time in the parks and are only at the resort to sleep. We don't spend a day at the resort or go back during the day for breaks. We get up, we go to the park. When the park closes we go to DTD and then it's back to the resort to sleep.

So honestly I would say it really depends on how much food you eat. Do you want 2 TS meals a day and to be able to eat at a SR? Or do you enjoy spending a bit of time at the resort and relaxing? That's how I'd decide which one is the better option for you.

I have to say we are really looking forward to trying out the DDDP in Oct. We're trying several SR that we've never done before.

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-27-2008, 04:43 PM
As to your specific query - I would go with deluxe hotel and regular dining.

We've done both deluxe hotel / regular dining and deluxe hotel /deluxe dining.

I personally felt that regular dining was fine. If we wanted more dining options, we paid out of pocket. With the deluxe dining, I felt like we were spending too much time eating out. I don't particularly like Disney food and very quickly felt over-stuffed. My DS is young and really doesn't like eating out at all. After a while, my DD also began to grow weary of yet another character meal.

My DH loved the deluxe dining. He and my DD love to do room service, so we took advantage of that option.

We're still debating the deluxe vs. reg for our next trip.