PDA

View Full Version : Snorkeling at TL for 4 yo?

Giselle
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
How old do you have to be to snorkel at TL? Do you have to be able to swim? Do they have a shallow area for non-swimmers or anything for younger children? Any info would be appreciated!:diver:

Minnie Imagineer
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
There is no shallow area, the water is deep for the sharks and sting rays. But, everyone can get lifevests and everyone has to get snorkles & goggles. You can hold hands with a child as long as you are lying on your stomachs. So it should be fine for a 4 y.o.

wendy*darling
07-28-2008, 02:22 PM
He should be able to calmly swim/float across the "pool" keeping his face in the water to see the sharks, etc.
They will admit people in groups. First you get your life vests and masks/snorkels. A short safety lesson is next. Then the whole group goes in and swims across together. Once you reach the other side- everyone gets out.
There is no shallow area or anyplace to stop and hold on. You just keep going across the pool. It's not huge, but it designed to swim in one direction.
The water is VERY cold. Keep that in mind as well.

Also- for non-swimmers, people who don't like the cold water or do not want to snorkel- there is an underwater viewing area in a submarine. You can walk down there and see the sharks and other fish- as well as the people swimming across. You can stay as long as you like. It might be a better option for a 4 year old.

sisterdisco
07-28-2008, 09:25 PM
My son did TL just after his 5th birthday.
He had snorkeled in the caribbean twice before that and in the bathtub too many times to count.
I would suggest getting a cheap set ($20)of snorkel gear and having your child try it in the tub or pool before going and then he will be confident. There are life jackets (used to be the yellow supersoftee kind) and they can hold your hand. Some people feel a little claustrophobic snorkeling.

Catzle
07-29-2008, 10:24 AM
They do have life jackets for the kids if you want one. My daughter was 6 this past time and tried it. We got her the life jacket. She did try several times but her mask just kept filling up. They only have one size mask and her face was just too small. The water is cold and deep so the child has to feel comfortable in the water to be able to swim over to the other side. Plus you are told you can't kick your feet, more of floating slowly over and using your arms to swim you. You can always try and if it doesn't work you can get out and walk around that's what we ended up doing with my daughter.