TheRustyScupper
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
As published in USA-Today on 7/25/08:

1) Airport flight/capacity declines between now and November
. . . Orlando (MCO) minus 12.8%
. . . Tampa (TPA) minus 11.1%
. . . St Pete (PIE) minus 86.4%
. . . Sanford (SFB) minus 47.4%

2) This eliminates a lot of flights and a lot of seats.
. . . in some cases the flight is eliminated
. . . in other cases, smaller planes are substituted for big planes
3) One should keep calling for flight changes.
4) Just because you call once, doesn't mean the flight is OK.
5) In many cases, you are not notified until closer to flight date.

one2goofy
07-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for posting this. We are going in November and our flights have changed 2x already since we booked in mid June. I check every few days for changes...

eandrsmom
07-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Why is the capacity being reduced? Is it the economy (paying airport employees) or is it due to construction? We're flying to MCO in December, and you've got me worried.

MushuGrl
07-25-2008, 09:31 AM
So am I! Just check and looks like all but three seats are booked for our flight so I'm hoping we're safe.

TheRustyScupper
07-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Why is the capacity being reduced? Is it the economy (paying airport employees) or is it due to construction? We're flying to MCO in December, and you've got me worried.

1) These are the airlines reducing capacity, not airports.
2) There are a lot of reasons, but all economics
. . . fewer passengers
. . . high fuel costs
. . . high operating costs
. . . too many cheap fares

aurora, ariel, and bell
07-25-2008, 11:09 AM
We are flying SW. is there anyway to check how booked the flight is?
I just look to see if it is availble still, but would be interested to see how may seats left.

lindique
07-25-2008, 06:45 PM
We are flying SW. is there anyway to check how booked the flight is?
I just look to see if it is availble still, but would be interested to see how may seats left.
I don't know of any way to check to see how many seats are left on a SW flight. The only way I know to approximate this is to look in the "Wanna Get Away" fare box. If it says "not available", that flight is pretty full. If it has a high price (close to the Business Select fare), that flight is moderately full.

playdead88
07-25-2008, 08:25 PM
:drive: this is why we are loadin' up the family truckster and driving to disney next year - for the past 4 years we have used delta non stop from richmond to orlando - last year was a nightmare - they changed our flight too many times to count and there is no way we're going through that again so I-95 here we come!

Mousemates
07-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for posting the reminder...we actually got wind of this back on our june trip when I read an Orlando Sentinel front page article that was "on display for reading" at a Logans Roadhouse. We checked on my wifes Allegant flight (for a Sept trip with her mom and sisters) when we got back , and it was still okay. Didn't realize the reductions were still on going and we eneded to kind of keep a running check of it.