PDA

View Full Version : Grocery delivery,or take a taxi for food?

fab4nczc
07-24-2008, 09:04 PM
we will be going to disney this october is it to late to get grocery delivery? IF it is not to late does anyone have any recomendations and how do they work. last time we went to disney we rented a car and the only place we went was to publx we cant justify renting a car for one trip to the grocery store. does anyone know how far away the closest grocery store is and how much taxi fare may. which is better using a grocery delivery service or taking a taxi

RPHX2NC
07-24-2008, 10:41 PM
I would like to make another suggestion. I priced out what I would like to order for groceries and found that it was cheaper (by far) to buy groceries at home and ship it to the resort. I addressed it to the resort and had my guest name, reservation number and check in date on the label. When I checked in there were 2 boxes there with my name on it and they were heavy so it was delivered to the room. There was a note attached to my ressie, I didn't have to remind them. I had beer, water, juice boxes, soda, DD coffee, snacks, uv light carton milk, and all of our breakfast for 5 people for a week.

TheMartellFamily
07-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Last year we did two runs, One day we where planning on going to the Beach anyway so we make a grocery trip on the way back in at the Super Walmart. We ended up running out of a couple things so we took a Taxi to Goodings (more expensive but closer with the Taxi).

We used Dollar rent a car located in the Hotel that was the Grosevner by DTD. It was less expensive then the two at WDW and they came to the hotel to pick us up.

To save on the Taxi we took a bus to DTD and picked up the cab there.

CleveRocks
07-25-2008, 04:28 AM
we will be going to disney this october is it to late to get grocery delivery? IF it is not to late does anyone have any recomendations and how do they work. last time we went to disney we rented a car and the only place we went was to publx we cant justify renting a car for one trip to the grocery store. does anyone know how far away the closest grocery store is and how much taxi fare may. which is better using a grocery delivery service or taking a taxi

Grocery delivery versus taking a taxi to a supermarket??? Grocery delivery ... for me it's not even a close call.

The fee for a grocery delivery is cheaper than the round-trip taxi fare. Plus, it doesn't have to take any time away from your vacation, as opposed to taking 2 rides and navigating through and waiting in line in a strange supermarket.

If you want more details (or more convincing;)), please post again.

Vito
07-25-2008, 05:25 AM
Gardengrocer delivers to your hotel for $12 (plus optional tip) and will let you select a two hour window during which delivery will take place. Someone else has also said that upon request they will deliver to the front desk/bell services and you can then pick up the delivery there.

You can buy some groceries at WDW hotels and/or Downtown Disney. Yes, the selection is much smaller and the prices higher, but if you're not planning on buying a lot, the extra amount paid will still be less than the cost of a grocery delivery, taxi ride, or car rental.

disneyfan328
07-25-2008, 09:35 AM
as the PP said Garden Grocer is probably a better bet, but it just depends on what all you would want. To use them you have to have a minimum of a $ 40.00 order plus the 12.00 delivery fee. If its over 200.00 then you don't have to pay the 12.00 fee. When we went last sept. We packed a suitcase with cereal, fruitsnacks, chex mix, poptarts, bagels and peanut butter, capri suns ect and used that as one of our checked suitcases. ( I packed 2 of the kids together in one suitcase) then for on the way home we had a suitcase freed up for souviners. We had water delivered by Staples (pm me for more info) and it worked out great for us. We bought milk in the general store at our resort and that was really all we needed to get through breakfast each day. I guess it just depends on what you need. This is what worked for us and saved us a bunch of money.

Vito
07-26-2008, 03:34 AM
as the PP said Garden Grocer is probably a better bet, but it just depends on what all you would want. To use them you have to have a minimum of a $ 40.00 order plus the 12.00 delivery fee. If its over 200.00 then you don't have to pay the 12.00 fee. When we went last sept. We packed a suitcase with cereal, fruitsnacks, chex mix, poptarts, bagels and peanut butter, capri suns ect and used that as one of our checked suitcases. ( I packed 2 of the kids together in one suitcase) then for on the way home we had a suitcase freed up for souviners. We had water delivered by Staples (pm me for more info) and it worked out great for us. We bought milk in the general store at our resort and that was really all we needed to get through breakfast each day. I guess it just depends on what you need. This is what worked for us and saved us a bunch of money.Yes, that's a good point about the $40 minimum. I think that's about the minimum you'd want to spend on groceries to begin with to make a trip or delivery worth it anyway. Otherwise you're probably just better off buying what you need from your hotel or DD.