PDA

View Full Version : WDWer's 1st time trip to DL. NOT a WDW vs DL thread.

WDWFan2005
07-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone,

First of all, I want to make it clear that I don't intend to resurrect the age old WDW vs DL question about which is better etc.

I do need your advice, however. I and my family have been WDW AP holders and DVC members for years. We really want to see DL though, knowing the great history and knowing that it's where it all started.

We will be in the Anaheim area in a couple of months and frankly we will only have ONE day to spend in DL. My question is, is one day enough for the DL park? We will probably have to skip DCA. We have a 2-year old toddler. I know I know I know that Disneyland is not the same as the Magic Kingdom, but what attractions at DL are close enough to the WDW version that we can skip (God forbid) if we don't have time?

Thanks!
WDWFan2005

Arielfan98
07-24-2008, 05:39 PM
ok well um I have only been to DL once, and I just have to say one ride you should go on is the Matahorn. Also in my opinion, Disney World is much better than Disney Land cause it is bigger. I'm sorry I couldn't help much. :(

MegaDisney
07-24-2008, 07:43 PM
This is not a DL vs. WDW thread! (In this case bigger is definately NOT better IMHO.)

Pirates - Longer and definately different than the WDW version.

Finding Nemo Subs - Not at WDW

Roger Rabbit - Not at WDW

Mr. Toad - No longer at WDW

Indiana Jones - Not at WDW

Matterhorn - Not at WDW

Parade of Dreams and Remember Dreams Come True should not be missed - Not at WDW

Fantasmic - I think the show setting at DL is better and the show is different.

I will post more as I think of them, I hope this helps!

teamblackwell
07-24-2008, 11:31 PM
--Tiki room (not Under New Management)!!! its the old version.

MegaDisney
07-24-2008, 11:37 PM
If you have time you should also try the Walk in Walt's Footsteps Tour.

Vito
07-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Potentially skippable:

Haunted Mansion is very similar, WDW's might be better (imo). If there's one I would skip, this would be it.

Splash Mountain. Some fairly decent differences, but for the most part the same. WDW's is longer, bigger, and I like it better.

Big Thunder Mt Railroad - basically the same experience for the most part.

Better at DL and I would recommend experiencing the DL version:

PotC - better at DL. Very similar, but a couple of extra scenes make DL's better.

Space Mt - better at DL (again, just a personal preference).

Buzz Lightear Astro Blasters - much better than Space Ranger Spin at WDW. Guns aren't "attached" to the omnimovers, better target system.

DL Fireworks - "Remember: Dreams Come True" - has some similarities to WDW's "Wishes" but I enjoy DL's version more as it has tributes to all the DL attractions as well as an awesome Tinkerbell, a really cool "Pirate War", flames that you can feel the heat from, lasers, fireworks from the tops of a few different buildings, projections on the Castle and on the Matterhorn, etc. Definitely make sure to see this.

Fantasmic - DL is better. See it if you can!

Assuming your little one is "ok" with fireworks and loud noises, don't miss either of these if you can. But watch out for the canon blast from the Columbia during Fantasmic. That always brings about many crying young ones. :covered:

All in all, I do believe you can do all of DL in one day, especially if you skip a couple of the "clones," but if the park is crowded you'll probably have to miss a few attractions. I don't think that Big Thunder or Haunted Mansion offer enough of a unique experience that you "must" ride them, and Splash Mountain isn't quite as good as WDW's version. Don't get me wrong, I love all 3 at DL and have ridden them often, but if I was pressed for time and a WDW regular, those are some of the attractions I'd skip.

As far as the DL originals go, you'll definitely want to ride Indiana Jones (although the little 2 yr old can't). Matterhorn is a classic, quite fun, but extremely bumpy, and again, not for a 2 year old. I haven't had a chance to ride the subs - I've heard they are fun, but the wait time is likely to be close to an hour with no fastpasses available. You'll have to decide if you want to take up that much time in line.

I'm sure I missed a few things, but hopefully that helps a bit, and the other posts in this thread have some good suggestions as well :thumbsup:

LittleSpirit02
07-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi!
One day will give you enough time to do a lot. You may miss out a few rides as you mentioned, but especially if you come close to opening and stay till near closing, you will see and do a lot!

With a two year old, will you still do any "thrill" rides? If so, the Matterhorn is exclusive to DL as is the Indiana Jones ride. Thunder is basically the same. Splash is slightly different. Space is probably about the same but I like it better at DL for some reason.

Don't miss Pirates, Small World, Haunted Mansion or Tiki Room. These are different than WDW. Don't forget that DL has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride! A favorite of mine since the days it was at WDW but was since replaced with Pooh. So definitely check it out. I think Peter Pan's Flight is better in DL as well.

One restaurant (counter service) I'd like to recommend is the River Belle Terrace. My family had a wonderful breakfast there our last trip. You eat outside and can take in the scene.

Enjoy!

Mandy Mouse
07-25-2008, 03:28 PM
I am from California and know DL like the back of my hand. Going along with everyone else don't miss the Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, and all that jazz. I think people failed to mention the Alice and Wonderland ride (not the tea cups thats seperate) its a simple fantasyland type ride but its specific to Disneyland. It's a Small World is amazing-looking in Disneyland but it is under refurbishment right now so if it is isn't open when you go at least look at it. Space Moutain is way better in DL they redid the whole thing a few years back and it puts the DW one to shame. Fantasmic is different at DL and includes a peter pan scene. If you do decide to get a hopper you could go see the Main Street Electrical Parade thats a true classic.

Mandy Mouse
07-25-2008, 03:28 PM
oh and have a blast! you'll love it!:mickey:

NotaGeek
07-25-2008, 04:10 PM
--Tiki room (not Under New Management)!!! its the old version.

Some might call it "The Best Version". :mickey:

Closet Disney Fan
07-25-2008, 11:11 PM
A few things that appear to have been overlooked(imo) are Pinocchio's Daring Journey(which I think is a DLR only attraction) and New Orleans Square. Although there are no rides in New Orleans Square it is a neat area to walk around in that is specific to DLR only. If you could make it happen I would recommend making a reservation at the Blue Bayou (which is the restaurant inside of POTC) because it is something you can only do in Disneyland.

GloMonkey
07-25-2008, 11:32 PM
ok well um I have only been to DL once, and I just have to say one ride you should go on is the Matahorn. Also in my opinion, Disney World is much better than Disney Land cause it is bigger. I'm sorry I couldn't help much. :(

DisneyLAND Park is smaller than MK AT WDW. But it has more rides. Is this better or worse?

I would suggest getting to the park 30 mins before park open with ticket in hand. You said you had a toddler, so do fantasyland first. Grab fast passes to many of your favorites, Space, Splash, Indy. Go to Toon Town explore TT grab a FP for Roger Rabbit. at this point you probably could take a lunch break back at your hotel to nap or swim. About 1pm you could go to DCA and see some of that. Go back to DL around 6- 7pm see a parade, fireworks or Fantasmic all the while using up those saved Fast passes. You totally could do both parks in one day. See smaller IS better!! :thumbsup:

NotaGeek
07-26-2008, 12:49 AM
OMG! Nemo Subs ... if the crowds aren't crazy you must Find Nemo! :nemo:

GloMonkey
07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
OMG! Nemo Subs ... if the crowds aren't crazy you must Find Nemo! :nemo:

Since she has a 2 year old, I would suggest doing Nemo very last thing of the night. (hopefully the baby will be asleep and not fussy) You can get in line about 11 ish. It's not blazing HOT then, plus crowds tend to thin out after fireworks and fantasmic. The wait tends to be about 30-40 mins. No fastpass but the line tends to move fast. :mickey:

quest4dl
07-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Must sees:

Billy Hill and Hillbillies show at the Golden Horseshoe saloon - a hidden DL gem!

Pirates

Indy (baby swap - it was my favourite ride!)

Roger Rabbit

Mr. Toad

Storybook Boats

Finding Nemo but not if you have to wait too long in line

New Orleans Square - love the atmosphere!

Toontown - nicely detailed and most of the characters hang out hear

Train from Tomorrowland to Main Street to see the dioramas.

Space Mountain

Carnation Cafe - hopefully Oscar the chef will be there - he worked for and served Walt Disney!

The fireworks from in front of the castle so you can see all the images on the castle.

I honestly didn't think the Fantasmic show at DL was better and I paid extra for the premium seating. If you don't use this expensive option you will have to stake out a spot early and use up precious park time. The main difference is the setting and at the end the characters come out on a nicer boat.