PDA

View Full Version : Waterparks for non-swimer

Disney_Barbie
07-23-2008, 12:56 PM
I was just wondering what other non-swimmers do at the water parks. Perviously I've always gone w/out a life jacket or anything because I learned that the "pool" that you get dumped into at the end of the slides is not very deep.
However, I feel like I'm constantly getting yelled at by the lifeguards. When you get dropped in the pool at the end of (some) of the slides, everyone else starts swiming to exit the pool area, I however have to get my footing, stand up and begin walking (thru the water) to the exit area (which ya'know how long it takes to try to walk/run in a pool!). So literally, at the waterparks I get reemed out about 10-15 times a day by the lifeguards telling me to go faster in getting out. (don't get me wrong, I'm not critizing them, I know they need to clear people out of the way for safety's sake but I don't know what they expect me to do, I literally can't get out of the water any faster that I'm currently doing)
I was wondering what others do. Do you wear a life jacket? I know they have them there and I've consittered wearing one, but I actually don't konw if that will impare me more so. I mean, life jacket or no life jacket I still can't swim, so will now floating while trying to get my footing and walk out of the pool be even slower than before? Or do you think would it be helpfull?
Just wondering what others do. Thanks!

Young@Heart
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm not sure if you can wear life jackets on the slides. Maybe on some of them you can.

Honestly, it would be nice if they had a wristband in a bright neon color that non-swimmers could wear. Then, lifeguards would know not to yell at these people. I guess I'd just keep doing what you've been doing, and try my best to ignore the lifeguards yelling at me. :blush: At times, I've heard the whistle blow b/c I'm not getting out fast enough, but honestly, sometimes the water is far too shallow to swim in, so you have to just wade out of it the best you can. I just chalk the whistle blowing up to "grumpy lifeguards" and do my best to enjoy my day! :thumbsup:

Lizzie
07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
I think they are just trying to keep everyone moving. Because sometimes people have a tendancey to move slow and they know that someone else is waiting to come down the slide. But DW has plenty for nonswimers at waterpark. The lazy river is one of my favorites.

BMan62
07-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Maybe Disney should set up one slide at each 'attraction' just for non-swimmers. They could set the timing between sliders a little further between and not worry as much about how quickly people get out of the way.

Imagineer1981
07-24-2008, 03:32 PM
a wristband is a great idea! I don't know how many non-swimmers though are as brave as you. Most wouldn't brave the slides or the lazy river or anything

IloveDisney71
07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
I would just keep doing what you're doing. I am a swimmer but sometimes I'm slow getting out of the water because I'm adjusting my swimsuit due to the speed of the rides (if you know what I mean;))!

cdavismorgan
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Having been a non-swimmer for a long time (I was afraid of the water without my glasses/contacts, wouldn't put my face in the water, I would say just be like a duck and let it (yelling) roll right off your back. You know you are doing the best you can, ignore them.

Also, I have not seen that kind of behavior at WDW water parks. At WaterWorld (Denver), sure, but not from CMs.

Arielfan98
07-25-2008, 05:08 PM
I don't think you should have a life jacket, cuz there's no point if you could just find yur foot and walk. However, swimming is a very important skill in life, and god forbid if you actually drown. So my advice would be, take some swimming lessons, that way you won't be stuck with this problem, and what if you happen to be in a lake, sea, or wherever and you can't find your foot? Yes swimming lessons might cost money, but I think it's one of those things in life that are worth your money, because it is your safety. But before you do that maybe someone could teach you how to swim for free? I hope you get the answer, sorry if I didn't help. :swim:

kathiep
07-27-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree with the previous poster. You obviously enjoy water themed activities if you're planning on going to a water park. So why not take a few lessons just to ensure you never put yourself in danger or god forbid, there is a problem, you will have some basic safety skills. You don't need to end up being olympic quality, just enough to be able to keep yourself out of trouble.

dteed
07-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Just find the direction of the ladder and move your arms. It is the lifeguardsd job to yell at you let them do it and just enjoy. And you just enjoy your waterpark day.

Nurse Kim
07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I too am a nonswimmer. I will not get into water that is deeper than my chest. I almost drowned when I wasw 10 and will NOT learn to swim. I have tried and just panic too much. I just make sure I don't get myself in a situation I can't get out of. We are planning to do both waterparks too and I will do the slides but I can move my arms enough to get out of the way and I know at the end of the slides the water isn't deep.

I understand how you feel. Just ignore them. If they yelled at me I am one that would say I'm going as fast as I can. :mickey:

hokies4life
07-31-2008, 10:51 AM
I too am a nonswimmer. I will not get into water that is deeper than my chest. I almost drowned when I wasw 10 and will NOT learn to swim. I have tried and just panic too much. I just make sure I don't get myself in a situation I can't get out of. We are planning to do both waterparks too and I will do the slides but I can move my arms enough to get out of the way and I know at the end of the slides the water isn't deep.

I understand how you feel. Just ignore them. If they yelled at me I am one that would say I'm going as fast as I can. :mickey:

This sounds exactly like me. I'm a non-swimmer too, and granted we haven't been to the waterparks in a long time, I've been trying to figure out what I could do there if we went back. I know the pools at the end aren't that deep but aren't there ones that don't put you in a pool? Ones you slide down and they just level out? And I know the lazy river is nice, but I don't see the point of going and paying to get in if that is the only thing I'm going to do.

:chipdale:

bertasso59
08-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Non Swimmer here-I cant even float-and at Waterparks I always check out the people coming down the slides to access how much swimming is or is not needed.I stick to the ones that I just have to stand up in very shallow water and get out of the way.I still have a great time.
My 200th Post!!!Yea!:joy::cheer:

Nurse Kim
08-03-2008, 02:02 PM
This sounds exactly like me. I'm a non-swimmer too, and granted we haven't been to the waterparks in a long time, I've been trying to figure out what I could do there if we went back. I know the pools at the end aren't that deep but aren't there ones that don't put you in a pool? Ones you slide down and they just level out? And I know the lazy river is nice, but I don't see the point of going and paying to get in if that is the only thing I'm going to do.

:chipdale:

We have never been to the waterparks before but I am sure you will be ok. I have been known to panic no matter how shallow the water is as soon as my face goes under I panic. I understand how you feel about paying to get in if you are only going to do the lazy river. I am going to try one of the mild slides first and then decide if I want to do any others. There are ones that you are in the inner tuber. Those should be fine for you.

Aero
08-03-2008, 04:52 PM
I can swim alright, but I don't "swim" away from the bottom of the slide. I get my footing and walk.

Make your first move to the side, so the lifeguard sees that you're getting out of the way. Even if you did have a special wristband, the lifeguard's priority is to get you out of the way so another person doesn't collide with you.

- Aero