PDA

View Full Version : Looking for towncar recommendations in NYC?

scootch713
07-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Flying into New York City for the coolest weekend for my daughters 9th birthday. Going to go to the Today show in morning, American girl Store in afternoon with lunch ect... and then on saturday we are goign to a kids cooking exhibition with Rachael Ray. My daughter absolutely LOVES watching the foodnetwork channel and cooking!!

anyhow... flying in, will be dark(730ish, october)... am thinking of doing a towncar instead of a taxi or the train. Any companies you might recommend? thanks.

Kairi_7378
07-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Personally, I would not drive in NYC. Traffic in the city is a nightmare! And parking is outrageously expensive. My husband and I have celebrated a few anniversaries in NYC and relied solely on public transportation and we didn't have any problems. (I'm sorry that this doesn't answer your question really, and hopefully someone with town car experience will come along soon.)

You have a great trip planned!

BronxTigger
07-22-2008, 10:25 PM
I've never hired a towncar from the airport. I think it's easier to just go to the taxi stand and get the next available yellow cab. It is flat rate now into Manhattan from JFK ($45 + tip (and tolls?)). From LGA it would run you around $35 or so (I think...I never go to Manhattan from the airports).

Whatever you do, don't use SuperShuttle. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them here in NY.

scootch713
07-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Personally, I would not drive in NYC. Traffic in the city is a nightmare! And parking is outrageously expensive. My husband and I have celebrated a few anniversaries in NYC and relied solely on public transportation and we didn't have any problems. (I'm sorry that this doesn't answer your question really, and hopefully someone with town car experience will come along soon.)

You have a great trip planned!

no I wasn't goign to drive.. looking for a towncar to pick us up at the airport and take us to our hotel. I had read sometimes you have to wait for a taxi.... ?? flying into JFK.

Aurora
07-23-2008, 09:39 AM
We had a FANTASTIC towncar driver during a trip in April 2007 -- we picked him up on the street (the cars are marked "livery" on the license plates) while looking for a cab one night and then called him later in the week to drive us to the airport a day after that awful nor'easter last year. He was great -- the whole city was flooded and he knew just the routes to take.

I'm e-mailing DH to see if he can find the info for you.

GrandFlo
07-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I used Big Apple. They were very good, but I have not used them in years. I no longer have their card, but if they are still in business you could probably get the # from information. The area code would be 212 or 718.

MegaDisney
07-24-2008, 11:43 PM
I book my clients with Carey. Never had any complaints.

Carey Transportation (http://www.carey.com/carey/)