PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the camera?

I believe
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
My husband just purchased an very nice Nikon d60. It is too large to slip into a pocket, and the camera bag it came with is rather large (apx 12inx6inx8in) It is bigger than my purse for sure. I am just wondering how those of you who have bigger cameras carry them in the parks. Do you just deal with it and lug around the camera bag, or do you use a neck strap and risk banging up the camera all day. Hopefully there is another option I have not thought of yet. Thanks in advance!

Strmchsr
07-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Well, I've started bringing 2 cameras. One small little cheap digital one that I keep in my pocket for those "quick snaps." The bigger, nicer one I lug around in the camera bag to keep it protected. I use it for the set up shots and the really important ones where we want to take the time to get it right. Nice cameras like yours are just too expensive to take any chances with.

If you don't need all of the accessories, though, you could probably find a smaller bag for it at Wal-Mart or someplace that wouldn't be too expensive.

medic9016
07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
We take a backpack and put the camera bag in it. Too much money in the camera to get banged around.

Young@Heart
07-22-2008, 05:01 PM
My camera is not as big as yours, but we just got our first "large" digital camera a few months ago. It's probably about 6"x4"x8". I'm not going to bother with the camera bag. I'm going to use the lens cap to protect the lens, then put the camera in my messanger bag. We're also going to have the video camera in there, so I can only imagine it's going to be quite a pain to carry around all day.

dnickels
07-22-2008, 05:30 PM
If you have a smaller point and shoot type I would bring that instead. They take pictures that are more than excellent for regular prints and most enlargements. Unless he wants to try and make poster sized prints (in which case he'd have to haul a tripod around as well) there's not much reason to lug it around with you.

brewcrew26
07-22-2008, 05:30 PM
I can fit my video camera in my purse. So, I just put in the pocket closest to my body that's well-padded. DH has a really nice Sony digital. He bought a bag for it and carries that around the park. It fit on all the rides in the little mesh pocket.

I like to call it his "man purse." :secret:

kakn7294
07-22-2008, 05:36 PM
When I used a backpack, I didn't like that my camera wasn't easily accessible so I bought the smallest camera bag that my camera would easily fit into. When we were eating or somewhere that I wasn't going to be taking pics for a while, I just carried it in my backpack rather than have 2 separate bags. When I knew I would be taking frequent pics, then I carried the camera bag as a cross-body bag separately from the backpack.

MarkC
07-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I also have a Nikon and do carry it around. I make sure to take it to a park and get all the pictures I need. On our next trip to the same park I will leave it in the room. We normally don't stay at a park for an entire day, and you can take it off when on a ride or sitting down. Just make sure you use the strap to keep it attached to your wrist, leg, etc. Mark

Dopey's Girl
07-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I just found a camera bag at target that I love. It has one main pocket for the camera and another smaller zippered pocket. It's big enough for my larger camera, plus a few other items I would have had in a pocket(park pass, money, extra batteries, small sunscreen). The best thing is that the strap on the bag is long enough to carry it like a messanger bag so I don't have to have a hand on it at all times.

Guya103
07-22-2008, 07:04 PM
We carry both the large digital and the small digital cameras. The large has its own case and the small goes in a pocket.

Just like a previous poster, the small is for quick shots and the large for special photos.:mickey:

Coccinelle
07-22-2008, 10:34 PM
We carry our canon digital rebel camera in....a lunch bag! Il is small and all the padding in it protect the camera very well.

Flower
07-22-2008, 10:57 PM
We carry the Nikon D70 in a camera bag. Since we have the kids, it stays under the stroller while we walk, and we carry it whenever we go on a ride.

It is bulky, but takes great pics!

I would like to invest in a smaller digital though, I miss having the convenience of slipping a camera in my pocket and walking around freely.

peemagg
07-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I have a bag that I can carry 3 ways: 1. shoulder strap 2. hand strap 3. fanny pack. I can fit both my 35mm slr and my camcorder along with the flash, film, batteries, and dvd's. I also have room for a few other things too.

I use it mostly as the fanny pack.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-22-2008, 11:29 PM
I just brought my Nikon D40 with me last month. I bought a Tamrac Adventure 3 Messenger bag that I carried it in. It has a padded strap so it was comfy to carry. It was perfect for my camera and the two lenses I use. It had room for other small things if I wanted to just use that bag.

bmj721
07-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I have an older Sony digital and it is not small. So, though it has a lens cap, I keep it in my backpack, if I think I am between shots. Otherwise I wear it around my neck. It is 6x4x2 and probably weighs about 1.5 lbs. My DH on the other hand carries a backpack the size of New Jersey for his camcorder and digital cameras. After about 3-4 hours of lugging it around he's exhausted and he's not small. I suggest you to use a smaller bag that protects or a backpack that is appropriately sized.
:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

Lizzie
07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I go with two cameras my little sony and my sony dslr. For my big one I have a bag that can be carried messanger style and I put that away inbetween shots. But I keep my little one in my pocket for quick shots and random stuff on rides. I also use my little one for video. I found that I never pulled out my video camera when I brought it but I often switch over to movie mode on my little one and we love it. Get so much more footage this way.

We are also going to get a waterproof case for the little one so we can take it to the waterparks and swim with it.