PDA

View Full Version : Stroller on a Plane

KayDee
07-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi there.

A question for travelling experts with children. We are flying NWA to Disney with our 1 year old in September. This is our first time flying with a child and am wondering about the gate checking of a stroller. We have a Maclaren techno XLR. It is collapsible. Is there any type of stroller they "reject"? If it is rejected can you just pay additional money and get it on the plane?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

eandrsmom
07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
We flew Continental last Feb. and had no problems. We brought a collapsable double stroller for our 3 yr old and 7 month old. It is larger than a traditional single stroller, but we didn't encounter any problems. Several people were checking strollers at the gate. We're planning on bringing it again on SW airlines this December.

Lizzie
07-22-2008, 01:38 PM
We have flown Alaska a few times with our double jogger stroller and have never had an issue checking it at the gate.

disneycutie165
07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
I think all strollers are okay. We have never heard anything about not being able to have a stroller. If a child needs a stroller they need a stroller!:mickey:

Disney Doll
07-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I haven't heard of any restrictions on strollers, but I did want to throw in a tip. We found a special bag for our stroller and I love it. It's orange with the words "gate check" on the side, plus it has a very handy carrying strap. Not only does using this bag make it easier for the baggage crew, but it keeps our stroller perfectly clean. I think things tend to get scuffed up and dusty down there so I like knowing that I'm putting my baby into a clean stroller.

Itchy
07-22-2008, 02:32 PM
I flew on a business trip to Washington DC last Week and I saw numerous couples with strollers.

They had their children in the strollers up to the time of boarding. I noticed that the ground crew gave the owners some sort of claim tag for and then took the stroller and put it in the luggage area of the aircraft.

I would guess that there was a short wait when we arrived at our destination before they got them back.

Happy traveling.:mickey:

fanofdisney
07-22-2008, 02:51 PM
We have checked a stroller several times and have had no problems checking them in. I have never seen them reject any strollers. One word of advice though, one time we got our stroller back with coffee spilled all over it:mad: (at least it happened on our flight home) so I would definitely have one of those stroller covers for it.

dolphinmickey9170
07-22-2008, 03:09 PM
:mickey:Just be sure to approach the podium prior to lining up for the plane. They will tag your stroller for you and "gate check" it.:mickey:

momofdisneyprincess
07-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Disney Doll - could you please send me a message with where you found the bag for the stroller. That is a great idea! Thanks.

KayDee
07-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. Being a new mom I find myself stressing about, oh, everything. If I could be PMd as well with the bag is from. Thanks again.