PDA

View Full Version : Skipping ME and getting a limo - is it a waste? (m)

FreFam5
07-22-2008, 09:45 AM
We are highly considering skipping ME and renting a car to get us from the airport to the Poly. We want to stop at the supermarket on the way and my TA told me of a limo place that will stop for no additional charge.

Has anyone else done this?

Vito
07-22-2008, 10:16 AM
I can tell you that the majority of reviews I've heard of ME are very positive. Aside from the occasional issue with luggage being a few hours late, it seems that for the most part ME runs fairly smoothly.

Probably the best part about it is that it's free - getting to WDW from the airport via Limo or Towncar service can cost close to $100 with tips depending on how many in your party and how much luggage you have.

Another of the benefits of ME is that you don't have to pick up your luggage from Baggage claim, don't have to lug it to the Limo/towncar, don't have to lug it to your hotel room. It's all done for you, and your luggage is delivered to your room, even if you aren't there.

I guess part of it depends on how much you want to have the luggage in your own control while you're going to the resort. If you don't mind not having your luggage for a while, then ME is great. If you REALLY want to have your luggage with you from the moment you reach the baggage claim, then a Limo or Towncar is an advantage.

The other thing you mention is being able to stop at a grocery store. From what I've heard, yes, there are a few services that will be happy to stop at a grocery store on your way to the resort, sometimes for no extra charge. However, here's my philosophy on this, for anyone who's on a budget...

You can order groceries online from one of the online grocers like Garden Grocer. They will delivery to your hotel room, within a two hour window, for just $12 (plus tip if you so choose). What I think we might do for our stay in Sept is plan to have some groceries delivered to our room between 7-9 PM. We figure we'll easily be in our rooms by that time (our flight arrives at 4:30), so not only will our luggage be delivered to our room in that rough time frame, but our groceries will arrive as well.

The money you saved on not paying for the Limo/towncar is more than enough to pay the $12+tip delivery fee, and even have money left over for whatever you choose.

And even if you didn't want to order from an online grocery delivery service, the money you saved from the limo could go towards buying snacks/food from the shop at your hotel or some shops at Downtown Disney. The prices are obviously a bit higher than groceries around the area, but in the end the money you saved on the Limo will easily make up that difference and then some.

If you're not on a budget, and just want to be able to get the limo service, then it probably makes sense for you.

Hull-onian
07-22-2008, 10:35 AM
:welcome:to Intercot.

We used ME the last time we went. We packed our swimsuits in our carry on bags because we knew our luggage would be a little bit later than our arrival. About five weeks before our trip, I ordered groceries from Garden Grocer and our groceries were delivered right to our room. It was great.

Other people I know, use Quicksilver. They are timely and will take you on an alloted 30 minute shopping trip at a local grocery store, that way, you have all your luggage and your groceries.

For us, it didn't matter because we arrived at our resort a little bit early before our dinner at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. Which was great.

I would use ME again. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

faline
07-22-2008, 12:00 PM
It's really a personal preference. Before Magical Express, we often used a town car service to transport us to and from Disney World. We really enjoyed this experience and liked having our "own" ride.

Since Magical Express was introduced, we have used this service several times and have the experience akin to our old shuttle service rides with Mears (the same folks who provide the Magical Express bus service) except that we don't have to pay additional money for the service now.

For our next trip, we've opted to use a town car service and will be using Quicksilver (http://www.quicksilver-tours.com/) for the first time.

Bottom line - it's really your personal preference that counts!

Disney Doll
07-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I have used town car services with grocery stops in the past, but now that ME is free I wouldn't pay for a town car. It's easily $100.00 or more and I just prefer not to spend money unnecessarily.

bkfree
07-22-2008, 12:48 PM
We also use ME and have groceries delivered by Gardengrocer. This works out fantanstic.

My kids love riding the ME and would be disappointed if we skipped this.
Not to mention the money saved.

We had told Garden Grocer what time our flight was landing and they planned on delivering our food 90 minutes later to our room. We just called them on their cell phone when we were there.

Our luggage was in our room about 10 minutes after we were and GG about 15 minutes after that.
It all worked perfectly.

dolphinmickey9170
07-22-2008, 01:04 PM
I would save the money, use ME, and book a grocery delivery. Use the money you save on the limo for a great meal at California Grill instead.:blush: That's just MHO!! This is what we did!!

CraniumCommando
07-22-2008, 01:08 PM
The one thing I like about a car service is the individualized service. You don't have to stop at any other resorts.

I'm hoping this will give us extra time at the park on our last day. In the past, the car has always been waiting for me when I'm ready to leave, so I know exactly when to leave the park and still make the airport in time.

Can anyone tell me how early do you need to be ready to leave if you take the ME? Usually, with the car service, you can leave the hotel about 2 hours before your flight and be OK.

The question I need to answer is "Is it worth the extra $100 bucks for an hour or two extra at the park?"

bruin1344
07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
ive had all positive experiences with ME, i cant imagine renting a car or getting taxi from the airport to wdw again

Lizzie
07-22-2008, 01:41 PM
I love magical express. But we are a family of 4 with two kids under the age of 3. And not having to deal with luggage is amazing. I don't know how we would get to DW with all our luggage and young kids without magical express.

And I have also used Garden Grocer and had a great experience.

eandrsmom
07-22-2008, 01:44 PM
We used Quicksilver on our trip last Feb., and will be using them again in December. The driver meets you as you enter the area going to baggage claim (holding a sign with your name) gets a porter for you and helps load everything into the car. We stopped at a local grocery on the way. The kids watched a movie with my husband while I shopped with a pre-made list.
We're going to be using it again, because our flight won't be getting into MCO until 9:00 pm. The Garden Grocer stops delivering at 9:00 pm, and I don't want to wait around the following day for grocery delivery.
Another thing for us is that it may take a few hours for luggage to get to our room. With young children, we'll want to get them into bed as soon as we get to the room, and don't want to be disturbed with luggage delivery later in the night.
One thing I will warn you about, is that Quicksilver picked us up 2 hours before our departure back home. Our driver told us that it would be plenty enough time. I would suggest that you arrange to leave the hotel earlier, especially during holiday travel. We were picked for a random search, then allowed to bypass the standard line, which was EXTREMELY long. My husband and I both felt that if this hadn't happened, we may have missed our flight back home.

CleveRocks
07-22-2008, 06:45 PM
The Garden Grocer stops delivering at 9:00 pm, and I don't want to wait around the following day for grocery delivery.
Another thing for us is that it may take a few hours for luggage to get to our room. With young children, we'll want to get them into bed as soon as we get to the room, and don't want to be disturbed with luggage delivery later in the night.
A bit of info, and then a suggestion ....

Bit of info:
Upon request, Garden Grocer is happy to deliver to your resort's Bell Services at any time of day at their own convenience, whether you have arrived yet or not. In other words, if you tell them you won't be arriving until late at night, they will deliver your groceries some time during the day. They will separately bags and label the foods that need refrigeration/freezing, and Bell Services will take care of this. When you get to your room (or at the front desk, I suppose), just call Bell Services and they will deliver your groceries to you. It's not a big deal. Garden Grocer does this all of the time ... it's not like a special request or a strange request.

Suggestion:
Pack what you need for bedtime and the next morning in your carry-ons (this is a smart way to fly anywhere, just in case the AIRLINE delays your checked luggage ... imagine what a disaster it would be if your airline accidentally sent your bags to MCI [Kansas City] instead of MCO, with all of your kids bedtime essentials unavailable to you!). This way, you'll have everything you need with you. When you check-in, ask at the front desk AND at Bell Services to have your DME luggage held 'til morning.

I was so excited to get to our resort last time (at about 11 p.m.) that I forgot to make this request. At 1:16 a.m., our phone rang. It was a Bell Services CM asking if we wanted our DME bags now or later. "Um ... later please." I called them when I woke up at 6:30 a.m. and they were there less than 5 minutes later.

eandrsmom
07-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll now have to sell my family on the bus instead of the limo.

Vito
07-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll now have to sell my family on the bus instead of the limo.Best way to sell them is:

1) Tell them it's free - the money you save (up to or even over $100) can be used for various other things, including grocery delivery.

2) No luggage to haul around. You don't even have to pick it up of the baggage claim.

3) The bus (usually) shows a Disney video on the way to your resort, so it's a fun way to get in the Disney mood :mickey:

playdead88
07-23-2008, 06:06 AM
order your groceries and have them delivered from gardengrocer.com and take the ME :thumbsup:

PetefromRI
07-23-2008, 08:55 PM
We've decided to try QuickSilver this trip.ME is getting alittle crowded as of late and we thought that we'd try something different this time.We're taking the ME back to the airport.A one way trip through QuickSilver from MCO to the CSR is 65.00 plus tip.

Faver
07-23-2008, 09:45 PM
The last several times we had a towncar pickup and we love it. It does cost (around $100) roundtrip. But it's just you and your group, no other stops, just your route..... This way you get to the magic quicker and in high style!

Enjoy

gmgdisneymom
07-24-2008, 09:50 AM
i agree with the people who say that you will be wasting a bunch of money - you can always order on line - remember by going the ME way - you do not have to worry about your bags, once you check into the airport you can have fun - when you get to your room everything will be there

CleveRocks
07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
The last several times we had a towncar pickup and we love it. It does cost (around $100) roundtrip. But it's just you and your group, no other stops, just your route..... This way you get to the magic quicker and in high style!

Enjoy

A car service will give you the privacy, it will give you the direct route, and you will be traveling in high style ... but you can't count on it getting you to the magic quicker.

With a car service, you have to wait at baggage claim, and again for the driver to get the vehicle from the "bullpen." With DME, you skip baggage claim, but wait at the DME counter and for your bus to leave (and maybe or maybe not be the first stop on the bus).

The great equalizer in the wait times is with DME you totally skip baggage claim.

The 2 times I used DME, from airplane exit to resort drop-off was 56 minutes one time and 63 minutes the other time. If I'd taken a car service either time, I doubt I would have made it to my resorts much faster.

But I agree, anyone who wants to ride just with their party, who wants personalized and private service as well as a certain amount of "high style," then a car service is worth every penny.

Aurora
07-25-2008, 09:25 PM
You didn't say when your flight times are, but if they're very early or very late, I wouldn't use ME.

On our last trip we used ME to get to POR. We had all carry-on luggage so didn't need to worry about baggage at all. We arrived in Orlando fairly late (11 p.m.) but even without any line, it still took us awhile to check in, then we had to wait for other passengers, and we didn't get to our resort (POR) 'til after 1 a.m.

On our way back, we took a taxi. We would have had to LEAVE our resort with ME at 4 a.m. to catch a 7 a.m. flight. That means with three kids to get ready we would have had to awaken at around 3 a.m. :ack: No way.

So for us, late/early flights with carry-ons, ME didn't work as well.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-25-2008, 11:17 PM
I'd agree with taking ME and order from a grocery delivery service. No waiting and fighting to get your luggage and then no shlepping the luggage to your room. It's worth it.

Friend of Figment
07-26-2008, 12:28 AM
We use Quicksilver. Having a driver is just an added bit of luxury to us. I need distilled water for my C-pap, but we don't need a bunch of groceries. It's easier to have the grocery stop to get my 79 Cent gallon of water than to figure out other stuff to order to get groceries delivered.

On a budget trip, I would use ME, but I prefer a car service.