PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Inc. Coaster Rumor

MegaDisney
07-22-2008, 12:55 AM
This is from Jim Hill, so you can take it as you wish. He also claims that the Honey I Shrunk the Audience playground will be rethemed to Bugs Life. Sounds pretty cool, hope it comes to fruition:

"This family-friendly attraction will be housed inside of Soundstage One. Though -- in order to queue up for this ride -- WDW Guests will first have to go around to the backside of this building and then enter through the old Jim Henson Creature Shop.

Here, they'll find an elaborate recreation of the Monsters, Inc. lobby. With Ceilia (You know? Mike Wazowski's one-eyed, snake-haired girlfriend?) working behind the reception desk. Given that this attraction will be set in the post-film world (After monsters have learned that laughter is 10 times more powerful than screams), Monsters, Inc. is holding an open house today. Actually inviting humans in the Monster world to come tour their energy-gathering facility.

Speaking of energy-gathering ... As they make their way through the queue, Disney World visitors will periodically encounter scream / laugh cannisters with funnels sticking up out of them. These Guests will then be encouraged to scream / laugh into these funnels. Which will cause the sides of these cannisters to light up and reveal how much energy was just gathered.

As they make their way up to the attraction's load area, these WDW visitors will learn that this Open House is all Mike Wazowski's idea. That -- along the route that their coaster is supposed to travel through the Door Hangar -- this wiley one-eyed monster has placed even more scream / laugh cannisters. Which will then collect all of the energy that these humans produce as they scream & laugh their way through this attraction.

These Guests will then board a train that's two seats wide and eight-to-ten cars long. After chugging up the lifthill past show scenes where Mike & Sulley will quickly recap the backstory of this attraction, these WDW visitors will drop down into the Door Hangar building. Where they then quickly whip past various comic tableaus featuring some of the more memorable characters from the "Monsters, Inc." film. Not to mention some far-too-close encounters with huge scare / laugh cannisters (Whose sides -- once again reinforcing this attraction's interactive aspect -- will light up depending on how loudly the Guests on board that particular coaster train scream).

As for the finale of this two-minute-long attraction ... Well, it seems that these Disney World visitors will produce so much energy with all of their screams & laughter that the cannisters in the Door Hangar just can't contain it all. So there's this huge explosion near the end with bright lights & smoke. And just before their train rolls back into the station, these Guests will see a slightly charred versions of Mike & Sulley. With Wazowski telling his big blue friend "I think we need to get some bigger cannisters."

Now please keep in mind that this is a very bare-bones description of DHS's new "Monsters, Inc." ride. As for the attraction itself ... WDI's looking to spend some serious dough here. Even the exterior of this show building will be reworked so that it then closely resembles the exterior of the Door Hangar building that we all saw in the movie."

JPL
07-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Well I won;t say much about this since I don't see it happening and even if it does Imagineering spending alot of cash on it. I'm guessing it will be a rethemed version of the Crush Coaster. The original rumour had it themed to Ratatoule.

scoot241
07-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I saw this on another site and it sounds like it would be a really cool ride. Considering the source, I'll wait and see if anything comes of it.

Giselle
07-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Wow! That would be great. Monster's Inc. is one of my favorite movies. I am just wondering why they repeat themes for rides instead of using a new movie. They already have a monster's inc. attraction- the laugh floor. The roller coaster sounds much better though. Why not a Cars themed attraction or a Sleeping Beauty or some other movie that doesn't have an attraction yet?

GrumpyFan
07-22-2008, 10:34 AM
If this happens, it will make a great addition to DHS. And, if it's anything like the description, it sounds like lots of fun. Crossing my fingers for it.

barnaby
07-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Talk about coincidence...
I was watching "The Pixar Story" a couple weeks back on Starz. They were showing the door hanger scene and I said to myself "that would make a cool attraction at WDW".

brownie
07-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them add some sort of ride themed to Monsters, Inc.

goofy89
07-22-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure this will really happen, but it sounds like a really cool and fun idea for a ride.

DizneyFreak2002
07-23-2008, 03:42 PM
If I am not mistaken, didn't Disney accidently put this information up on the Hub, pictures and all??? Then, after realizing they released the info, they took it right back down??? I read that on another site... A CM confirmed it on that site... Not sure how true it is though....

FiremanDisney
07-23-2008, 05:42 PM
I really dont think this is a rumour anymore.
There is pretty good info out there to back up this story.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-24-2008, 04:13 PM
That would really be cool

Vito
07-25-2008, 03:12 AM
From what I've heard, Crush's Coaster at DLP is a really good indoor coaster (sort of like a wild mouse, Primeval Whirl type coaster) with some very cool special effects. There are some videos on the net (youtube, etc) that give you an idea of what its like.

If they make a Monsters Inc coaster with similar technology, it should be an excellent addition. It sounds like it would be a different train/vehicle setup (more traditional coaster vs. "mini"-trains), but could still revolve around the same kind of concepts. Maybe something like a slightly upscaled and faster version of Goofy's Barnstormer. Maybe a cross between the Barnstormer, Space Mountain, and Rock'N'Roller Coaster :thumbsup:

MegaDisney
07-25-2008, 05:33 PM
It sounds like it would be a different train/vehicle setup (more traditional coaster vs. "mini"-trains), but could still revolve around the same kind of concepts. Maybe something like a slightly upscaled and faster version of Goofy's Barnstormer. Maybe a cross between the Barnstormer, Space Mountain, and Rock'N'Roller Coaster :thumbsup:

According to the information it would be an inverted coaster, a first for Disney.

Imagineer1981
07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
this could be very cool...i can't seem to help think that Disney is making DHS to be more in line with Islands of Adventure, adding more thrill rides. Either way, still cool

John
07-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Welcome to the party Jim - I mentioned this MONTHS ago... December of 2007 to be exact.

http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=122334&highlight=Monsters

Lacy
07-27-2008, 01:23 PM
I knew I'd read this idea before. Seems it was here on Intercot. Still thinks it sounds cool and I would like to see an inverted coaster at WDW as long as it is done correctly with top notch themeing. This Monster's Inc. idea sounds like it could be it, even though I agree that a different movie would be nice considering they opened the Laugh Floor not too long ago.

shadowden
07-28-2008, 12:35 PM
...if this comes through, i like it!

@ John-- love the tron MCP avitar!

Surfer_Clock
08-01-2008, 11:26 PM
It sounds good on paper...and honestly, I've heard nothing internally about Soundstage 1 plans. I'd think the whole inverted coaster thing might scare the kiddies a little -too- much...sure they can work around it.

In response to his little quip about the "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure," there's very little supporting it...and even less support now that the playground has received a refurbishment to the Film Can Side and that there is now one in progress for the Kiddie Play Area (huge leaf that was formerly a waterfall and may be one again after the refurb, sprouts, small web, hyacinth leaf slide, and stepping stones [more of which should actually work after the refurb]). It would be an enormous waste of Company dollars to refurb and then to throw it all away for re-theming. If this is somehow strangely the case, I will be severely disappointed.

WedWay Peoplemover
08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
I won't start queing up just yet.....

"SULLEY "RULES!!
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
It will be a fun ride for sure. Love Monster Inc. and my favorite blue hairy guy ( SULLEY ) of course. Can't wait to see it and try it when its complete. :sulley::sulley::sulley: