PDA

View Full Version : Help with info on AKL-Concierge

countrycharmer
07-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Good morning to you all! We are scheduled to stay at the AKL - concierge level from 12/31 through 1/4. Ever since our kids attended the original "Buxh Camp" last year at the AKL (we were staying at Coronado) they have been non stop about wanting to stay there... this will be their christmas gift.

We have never stayed at Deluxe resort NOR concierge.

Has anyone stayed at this location and at the concierge level? Our family would be most grateful for any information that you could provide on this topic.

We are nervous that our kids 10 & 12 will find enough things to stay entertained and interact with others. Also, what type of drinks and edibles are there at the concierge lounge, enough to satisfy breakfast, etc., or should we plan that as merely "snack" ... we are not large eaters, but like to graze throughout the day.

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who would be kind enough to share their experience(s) here with us!

TammiMcMan
07-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Has anyone stayed at this location and at the concierge level? Our family would be most grateful for any information that you could provide on this topic.The concierge rooms are located on the 4th floor and they all have a savannah view. Your room key will allow you access to the club level floor, which has the lounge and staff.

We are nervous that our kids 10 & 12 will find enough things to stay entertained and interact with others.Check the board in the lobby for the list of daily activities. I think the AKL does a great job and offers a wonderful assortment of things to do.

Also, what type of drinks and edibles are there at the concierge lounge, enough to satisfy breakfast, etc., or should we plan that as merely "snack" ... we are not large eaters, but like to graze throughout the day.Here's a sampling of what's offered:

6:30-7am ~ coffee, tea, juices
7-11am ~ fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, cold cereal
11:30-3pm ~ various bowls of snacks (popcorn, m&m's, etc.)
3-4:30pm ~ afternoon tea service, cookies, scones
5-7pm ~ wine, beer, cheese & crackers, vegetables, usually 2 different types of appetizers
8-10pm ~ assortment of cordials, desserts

Throughout the day, they leave out the coffee, tea, hot chocolate, sodas, iced tea, water and usually some type of smoothie.

We've always been able to eat a majority of our breakfasts in the lounge. We may plan one ADR for a sit down hot breakfast. The rest of the snacks, would be hard to fill up on every day. It's very nice if you happen to be at the resort anyway, you can head up to the lounge and grab something, but I wouldn't plan on rushing back to the resort, just to try and fill up on appetizers.

ThanxForNoticin
07-21-2008, 01:02 PM
I need to preface my response by telling you it's been a couple years since we've done AKL concierge. I know there has been a lot of work going on at AKL with the new VC units going in. But assuming they are maintaining the same, or similar setup as before, the AKL concierge is outstanding. We are also 'grazers' and light breakfast folks, and we found it to be perfect. There are enough options available in the lounge all day to keep you happy. We'd grab a muffin or pastry for breakfast. We also enjoyed their dessert snacks in the evening.

I bet your kids will get to interact with many other kids at the resort - especially if they get out to the pool. The animal viewing areas are awesome at AKL - and you should definitely take your kids to the main animal viewing area after dark - and ask a CM to use the night-vision viewing goggles! Lots of fun.

One other item to consider. If you stay AKL concierge, you are then eligible to purchase tickets for a couple special safari trips offered only to concierge guests. I would highly recommend the Sunrise Safari, which includes a pre-opening safari on the AK (you literally go through as the animals are coming out in the park for the day - they are usually quite active in the morning). It also includes a terrific breakfast. It is expensive (I'm thinking approx $60 per person, plus a day on your park pass), but it is a very fun and unique experience. I'm sure you can get more info if you call the concierge desk at AKL. Have a great time!

TammiMcMan
07-21-2008, 01:22 PM
If you stay AKL concierge, you are then eligible to purchase tickets for a couple special safari trips offered only to concierge guests.Here are some details for the safari's:

Sunrise Safari - exclusive to AKL/AKV club level guests only

30 minute in-depth safari experience at Disney's Animal Kingdom Park (park admission required) followed by a lavish breakfast buffet at Pizzafari Restaurant. Guests gather in Concierge Lounge at 7:00 am, Safari starts at 7:30 am. Sunrise Safari is only offered on Sundays and Thursdays. Price: $55.00 for guests 10 and older, $27.50 for guests 3 - 9 years (price includes tax, gratuity & breakfast) Can be booked 180 days in advance/subject to availability.

Wanyama Safari - Exclusive to AK resort guests, 2 levels of pricing below

3 hour safari experience at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge that resembles an African afternoon game drive and dinner. Guests will be able to learn about the natural history and management of the animals and architecture of the resort. The safari concludes at Jiko for a multi-course meal. Guests meet at 4 p.m. in the Porte Cochere. Only offered on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sat.

Club level guest price: $160.00 per person for guests 10 + and $80.00 for guests 8 and 9 years of age. (price includes tax, gratuity & meal) Not available for guests under the age of 8. Safaris are limited to 12 guests - can book 180 days in advance (subject to availability).

AK standard room guest price: $210.00 per person for guests 10 +