PDA

View Full Version : The Coolest Thing Ever Happened at MK today...

A Foolish Mortal
07-20-2008, 06:00 PM
The coolest thing ever happened at MK today. We were riding Space Mountain, and suddenly all the lights came on. But we kept moving! We rode almost the entire thing with the lights on. It was so freaky! It looks really unsafe with all the lights on. I was in the front seat, so it was pretty freaky. We got to go back to the front of the line, though, and ride it with the lights on. It was so cool!

PetefromRI
07-20-2008, 06:04 PM
That sounds awesome.Is it a twisted mess of steel?

DisneyBunch
07-20-2008, 07:12 PM
We've had that happen a couple of times before, both while on Space Mountain and once while on TTA. It does look very different with the lights on.:mickey:

EditReject
07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Go to YouTube and do a search for Space Mountain lights on and you will find videos of the ride with lights on. Cool stuff!

Young@Heart
07-20-2008, 10:11 PM
oh my gosh! That would really freak me out!

Dopey's Girl
07-20-2008, 10:25 PM
You are more brave than I would have been. I have been through with the lights on while I was riding the TTA and decided that I had better not look too closely, or I may be less inclined to travel to space anytime soon! That is one messy looking track!

Fun experience for you though!

SpaceMtn101
07-20-2008, 11:08 PM
yeah that happens all the time and you probably heard the attention space travelers spiel and when u either finished to unload cuz the other side went 101 or if your side went 101 then a cast member pushed the train.

Thats normal at space. Its called a ride cascade. It looks a lot closer than you think it does but it is safe in the dark or with lights on.

Simba'sBud
07-20-2008, 11:13 PM
That is so cool. We've not had that happen to us yet, but I've seen some of the videos on YouTube and it definitely looks crazy. Glad you enjoyed it enough to get back on.

disneylovinmom
07-20-2008, 11:20 PM
The lights came on while we were waiting in line when I was a kid. It kinda took away some of the mystery of the ride. I was a little disappointed. But, I have ridden it several times since then (1986) and I love it.

Imagineer1981
07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
yeah that happens all the time and you probably heard the attention space travelers spiel and when u either finished to unload cuz the other side went 101 or if your side went 101 then a cast member pushed the train.

Thats normal at space. Its called a ride cascade. It looks a lot closer than you think it does but it is safe in the dark or with lights on.

This happens alot at space, I remember working there and it happening at least 2 times a day. Actually the ride I think is very boring with the lights on, then again, I've rode it with the lights on multiple times

brownie
07-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Sorry, hit the wrong switch!

I think I'd rather keep the illusion intact. With the lights on, it might as well be a roller coaster at an amusement park.

CU Tiger
07-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Maybe they can make it so you have the choice of riding with the lights on or off. It would be like having two different rides.:mickey:

A Foolish Mortal
07-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Yea, it wasn't much fun with the lights on. I was worried about getting my head chopped off, so the ride wasn't very entertaining. And it just seems a lot slower and A LOT more boring.

bruin1344
07-21-2008, 01:04 PM
the only time ive ever seen the ride with the lights is when its closed and im on the tommorowland transit authority

disneygirlie11
07-21-2008, 03:17 PM
I just watched the youtube video and what suprised me is that parts of the track is so low to the ground lol. Am I the only one that thought the coaster went way up in the dome for most of it??:blush:

Mfarquar
07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
I had the pleasure of riding SM with the lights on back in 1997. It amazed me how it's pretty much a kiddie coaster (not even as scary as the Wild Mouse). I guess perspective means a lot, making the darkness of the ride so effective!

The track really is a mess! haha I always tell people they REALLY mean it when they tell you to stay in your seat!!

A Foolish Mortal
07-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Yea.. it really loses the magic with the lights on. Maybe that wouldn't happen if we got the refurb the DL version got.

jillluvsdisney
07-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Way back in 1978 I remember riding this with my Uncle Bruce (RIP) while the lights were on. That track is pretty awesome when you actually see it.

Not2Loud
07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Thats so cool!!

pdrlkr
07-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Awesome! :thumbsup: :mickey:

SpaceMtn101
07-22-2008, 12:41 AM
This happens alot at space, I remember working there and it happening at least 2 times a day. Actually the ride I think is very boring with the lights on, then again, I've rode it with the lights on multiple times

yep know the feeling Iused to work there too. I think the lights lose it appeal but its still fun!!!

I liked on busy days when it would go down like every hour. I think before i left the most times it went down in a day was 12 or 14 times.

TheAdventurer
07-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Yea, it wasn't much fun with the lights on. I was worried about getting my head chopped off

What kind of head room is there? I've never seen it with the lights on, but always while riding in the dark I think to myself "There doesnt seem to be much headroom here, but maybe it's just an illusion. There's probably a lot more that it seems."

A Foolish Mortal
07-22-2008, 05:20 PM
If you're taller, like me, there is very little headroom. The 'chop the head off' might be a little exaggerated, but it definitely would be nice for it to be a little higher.

VolMickey
07-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Got the answer to the debate -- NIGHT VISION GOGGLES!

Faver
07-22-2008, 07:13 PM
The same thing happened to us last year!! It was really cool to see...... but I think I prefer the mystery of the dark :thumbsup:

PopDivaPaige
07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
LOL Congrats! I've always wanted to try that, but never happened to me. But one time, I think it was two or three years ago, my mother and I were riding Transit Authority and we passed through Space Mountain. The ride was having technical difficulties I believe because the coaster was on the very tip top hill of the ride, right before you glide down. The people were waving at us.:hi::hi::hi:. It was an enjoyable experience.
:here::here::here: