MsMin
07-20-2008, 10:26 AM
There is one in DTD too.

lovetheprincesses
07-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Also at Beach and Yacht Club

Tegrigg
07-20-2008, 12:21 PM
We Did The One In Japan, And We Loved It My Husband Got Four To Pick. And We Made A Ring Out Of One.

1978 Offsite
1980 Offsite
1985 Treehouse Villas
1989 Cbr
2001 Poly
2003 Poly
2005 Poly
2008 Poly

pink
07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
I can't wait to do it, where is the one in DTD?

PrincessTracie
07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
There is one in Japan. I went there last year and got a really pretty one! I had it put in a setting for a necklace. If you find a larger than normal pearl they make this big production out of it and hit the drums. LOL! Its pretty fun!

At our state fair every year I make it a point to get a pearl from an oyster. I think I have 6 so far. I am hoping to get enough to make a strand of pearls to give to my future daughter (or daughter in law if I have no daughters) as an heirloom. The pearls won't match, cause I have some that are blue-black, but it will actually mean something then just buying a strand of pearls at the store.

sisterdisco
07-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I don't know if they still have these, but 5 yrs ago on DCL, I bought my neice a necklace set.
It was a silver chain w/ a Minnie head that held a pearl--you opened an oyster and got a surprise color pearl to put in the Minnie head.
Very Cute and only $25.

buzznwoodysmom
07-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I beleive we also saw one of these at Typhoon Lagoon this summer. My mom and I did this in Japan in Epcot for Valentine's day one year. I let my two sons each pick an oyster for me. One of them picked a very rare silvery blue pearl and they made a big deal out of it. It was very fun and while the jewerly itself isn't valuable it is some of my most beloved pieces. It came from my two favorite little boys in my favorite place in the world.

#1disneyfan
07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
My DD is choosing to do this as her souvenir on our upcoming trip in August. Does anyone know how much it is? And how likely is it to get a double pearl?

PrincessTracie
07-23-2008, 01:50 PM
If I remember correctly the pearl itself is like $14. The setting is what makes it a lot more expensive. I think the setting I got, which is like a cage for the pearl, was $18, then you had to buy the actual necklace chain. It add's up.

#1disneyfan
07-23-2008, 02:52 PM
thanks. I wasn't sure how much picking a pearl actually was. My DD really wants to do this and is hoping for a double so she can get earrings made from them.

Thanks for the info. We will see what she gets in 19 days :cloud9:!

PrincessTracie
07-23-2008, 03:47 PM
When I was getting my pearl in Japan, I did see someone get 3 pearls in one shell. That I know is really rare. I didn't see anyone get 2 though.. so I am not sure how likely it is to get that. In all the times I have ever gotten pearls (I think I have like 6 or 7) I have never gotten a double. Although I have seen people get them, so I know its possible. Just don't count on it.

MickeyMousse
07-23-2008, 04:30 PM
I wish I had gotten a pearl during each of our trips-it would be a beautiful momento. I think I'll get one on our next trip!
We have watched people at the one in Japan and have seen 2 doubles so far. They put on quite a show when that happens!
A friend got a beautiful dark grey pearl last year. She had it placed in a small plastic bag and brought it home to be set by her local jeweler.

tinksmom02
07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
DD (4 at the time) picked a pearl in Japan in Jan 07. The pearl was $14, and we had in set in the cheapest silver pendent setting, on the cheapest silver chain. LOL She was only 4, after all! I think the grand total was $40. She got a pretty large, yellowish one. I liked it, and I may get one for myself when we go in Sept.

I like the idea of getting one each trip, and then stringing them.

The pearl place in DTD is a little kiosk-type thing, close to RFC, I think. I know it's near the Margarita stand :marg: At least it was last year. I think for the experience, the Japan store is better, they bang the gong and stuff.

Sea World has one, too.

Catzle
07-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Yes, there is also one at Typhoon Lagoon. We talked awhile to the lady selling them. Very interesting.