PDA

View Full Version : OK 5 days post op and OUCH!!

tinktude
07-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Ok,
On tuesday morning I had my tonsils out, at 35 years old. The day of the surgery was not too bad, just like a really bad sore throat.

Day two I started vomiting, so they gave me meds to stop that and I felt a little better. :sick:

Day three was just OK, but throat was hurting pretty bad over night.

Day four not too bad, was just hard to swallow, painful (was expected)

Now today on day five, the day started off ok didn't hurt too bad, but now it feels like my throat is on fire!!

The doctor told me it was going to hurt, but holy cow!!!! I didn't think that it was going to be this bad!!!

I think what makes it worse is that I haven't been able to eat a whole lot. A few soft noodles, applesauce, and some sherbet. Pudding is just too thick and hard to swallow.

Why is it when you can't have "normal" food the only commercials on TV are for food!!!:mad:

Sorry this is so long, I just needed to vent a little!!

Does anyone have any other suggestions I might be able to try?

disneydeb
07-19-2008, 07:51 PM
A milkshake or an Icee might feel good on the throat. If a milkshake is too thick, mix some milk in it. Feel better soon! :pixie:

Marilyn Michetti
07-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Now, this I can relate to. I had mine out when I was 23, and everything you've written is to a "T". It WILL get better. I don't know why little kids don't seem to mind it, but I remember so well, waking up, holding my ears, and waiting for the pill to kick in.

The ice cream didn't work for me - made too much phlem - I'd go with plain tepid water.:ill:

tinkerbell04
07-19-2008, 08:44 PM
I don't have any advice for you, but I do wish you luck and hope that you feel better very soon! I have heard many stories of adults having their tonsils out and they were very similar to yours. Whenever I have a sore throat, which I am sure isn't nearly as bad as yours right now!, I try snowballs or **** on ice cubes.

Beast_fanatic
07-20-2008, 12:11 AM
How about Popsicles?

:pixie: to help!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-20-2008, 10:18 PM
No advise but I just wanted to say that I hope you feel better soon! It's a heck of a way to diet......

DisneyDudet
07-20-2008, 11:52 PM
I have heard the same thing from adults who get their tonsils out. Its a horrible experience!

Are allowed to gurgle? I would gurgle with warm salt water every few hours. Don't swallow!!

I don't normally deal with this kind of thing at work, so I can't offer too much advice. Anything with dairy or soda will cause you to be phelgmy.

Have you been given anything for pain? Elixer? It may burn on the way down, but it should help. Also, I don't think they give this for throat surgery, but people with mouth pain at my hospital are given "magic mouthwash". The basic one is benadryl, lidocaine, and maalox. You can see if your dr will give you some, but don't try to make it on your own! There would be a good reason why they wouldn't give it to you!

Keep your head elevated as much as possible, to reduce the blood flow there and, thus, reducing inflammation.

I hope you get better real soon!

JanetMegan
07-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Just checking to see how you were doing and if the worst of it was over?

murphy1
07-24-2008, 03:30 PM
I just had a second thyroid removal surgery last month, it isn't really sore as much as it feels tight now, I think it really takes awhile to heal, so you really need to give yourself more time. I wish I could give you some of this Boost drink I have a bunch left of. I threw up in the hospital day 2 after my surgery, it was one of the pain meds. I had 30 pain tablets and had to take all of them, but then went on Motrin.

tinktude
07-24-2008, 04:14 PM
OK now it is day 10, and it is getting better!!

The worst day was day 8 because (this is gross) the scabs starting separating from my throat. My ears have been a little achy, but that is to be expected.

It seems that the right side of my throat has not been happay at all, even today it has been sore. The left side has been just fine the whole time, no pain at all.

I have been trying to wean myself off the pain meds, and switch to just tylenol.

Finally I got to eat some real food last night!!!

I am on the mend!!!!

MsMin
07-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Guess I'm a little late for well wishes. Glad you are doing better. Sorry it hurt so much :pixie: glad the worst is over..

murphy1
07-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Good, but please slow down, you are expecting too much and I know why, you are like me and have kids and a house to take care of. Keep resting.

JanetMegan
07-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Told you days 7-10 would be woorst ;) Glad you are getting better! You did the best thing you could for yourself getting this done-trust me!

tinktude
07-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Well I went to the doctor today for my post op check up. She said that she has not seen an adult patient who has healed as fast as I have.

She said that most adults are not near as far in the healing process as I am!! YIPPEE!!!

All I have left is some minor discomfort on the right side (a slight scab left), and a little ear pain on the same side. Overall I am doing FANTASTIC!!!!

OK now for the bad news!!! I have to go back to work tomorrow:(

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the well wishes, it is so nice to know that people can care so much about someone they don't know.