PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Beach Resort Refurbishment News & Progress**Update 9/11/08**

Figment!
07-19-2008, 01:43 PM
9/11/08 | New Pool Complex Opens

The new pool complex opened to Guests on 9/10/08. This opening was only 5 days ahead of schedule, despite Resort Cast expecting the pool to re-open much further ahead of schedule. The area now features more intricate theming, a larger pool, zero entry, a second water slide, an in-ground hot tub, an in-ground cool spa, a larger lounge chair area, and a children's water playground.

7/29/08 | Pool Construction Likely Ahead of Schedule

Although a new completion date has not been announced, Resort Cast are reporting that the progress appears to be ahead of schedule. While reports tend to vary on projected completion dates, the censuses is that the project appears to be on-track to be complete Mid-Late August 2008.

7/18/08 | Further Confirmation on New Guest Room Theme

Further reports have emerged noting the Nemo theme having been applied to most if not all of the Guest rooms refurbished thus far. Although it has yet to be confirmed if all rooms will receive this retheming, it appears likely that they will.

7/14/08 | A New Guest Room Theme & Rumours of Family Suites

Sparse reports of Nemo themed border, bed comforters and drapes emerge. According to the reports, bed comforters and border with Finding Nemo characters interwoven in the designs and water themed curtains are being added to the rooms. The reports contend that this will be the state of all rooms after the refurbishment, but do not provide any support for such claims beyond pictures of a single room with such changes.

Rumours begin to emerge that the remaining rooms in Trinidad South will be converted to Moderate Family Suites after the current Guest room refurbishment. The theme of these Family Suites is also rumored to be Pirates of the Caribbean.

7/12/08 | A New Pool Area Continues to Take Form

Resurfacing of the new pool area appears to be nearing completion. Work continues on building the new fort, work on refurbishing the original fort continues as well. Several mulched beds with newly planted palm trees have appeared. A new pirate ship play area has been constructed.

6/20/08 | A New Pool Taking Form

A new pool basin has been constructed and work on constructing what appears to be a second larger fort begins.

6/17/08 | Guest Rooms to be Refreshed

Construction permits reveal plans to refurbish all of the Guest rooms except those in Trinidad south. The scope of the refurbishment includes, "reupholstery of select existing upholstered furniture, installation of new window treatments, refinishing of select existing items, assembly and installation of new FF&E {Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment}, installation of carpet and base".

4/15/08 | A Peak at the Future Pool

Concept art of the new Old Port Royale pool appears on the construction walls surrounding the area. The art depicts a larger fort with a more elaborate water slide and what appears to be a larger pool area. First signs of digging work in the area appear.

3/30/08 | Pool Area Rebuilding Begins

The Old Port Royale Feature Pool area has begun resurfacing several areas. Much of the area still remains dirt.

3/15/08 | Pool Area Razed

The Old Port Royale Feature Pool area has been razed. The main fort still remains standing among a dirt construction area.

1/8/08 | Old Port Royal Pool Closes

Old Port Royale Feature Pool closes for refurbishment. The refurbishment is scheduled to last through September 15, 2008. Children's waterslides are added to the Barbados and Jamaica village pools and enhanced children's recreation activities are offered during the refurbishment.

Dsnygirl
07-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Jason, thanks for the info and for confirming the rumors that were flying.... I'm glad to know the rooms will be getting such a cute update, as reports from some folks as to the condition of their rooms lately has been a bit discouraging, and we'll be there in December!! :)

Any word on the suites and when/if they might be completed? That might be fun to consider switching to.... :pirate:

PirateLover
07-19-2008, 10:49 PM
I don't really get this re-theming. I mean, I get the part about Nemo being appealing to children and families... but what the heck does it have to do with the Caribbean, aside from the fact that the fish are colorful??? They are all Indo-Pacific and have no relation to the Caribbean. I guess they are eschewing the honeymoon/anniversary group for families again, just like with Pleasure Island. They must have had some massive research results come in recently....

vizsla
07-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the update.

pdrlkr
07-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Minnie Imagineer
07-20-2008, 08:56 AM
nice to know, thank you! :mickey:

Main Street Jim
07-22-2008, 11:06 PM
An "Australian" story now set in a Caribbean setting...?? This is unreal. The CBR was such a beautiful resort. Nemo - and clown fish in general - have NOTHING to do with the Caribbean at all; from what I understand, the clown fish are only found near Australia. Can't Disney just leave well enough alone? I have a room booked for my daughter's honeymoon at the Caribbean; I may have to change the reservation because she doesn't care all that much for "Finding Nemo". It's just...wrong.

DisneyorBust
07-24-2008, 06:14 PM
We have a vacation booked for September, we chose CBR based on the theming. Would we be able to switch resorts without penalty, ie losing free dining, based on the change? We wanted the Caribbean theme, definitely NOT Nemo. Do we have any options?:confused:
It seems almost like a bait and switch tactic, not that WDW is trying cheat anyone, but if they change the theming, they should give their customers a choice without penalty.

Figment!
07-29-2008, 09:07 PM
**Update**

Mousemates
07-29-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't really get this re-theming. I mean, I get the part about Nemo being appealing to children and families... but what the heck does it have to do with the Caribbean, aside from the fact that the fish are colorful??? They are all Indo-Pacific and have no relation to the Caribbean.

Surely you aren't suggesting that Disney would push aside biological science for the sake of resort theming. Perhaps this is just a precursor to a resort name change....namely the all new Indo-Pacific-Caribbean Beach Resort with Nemo and Friends.

The Joker
07-30-2008, 05:31 AM
I think it is a good idea to give the theming of CBR a more "Disneyesque" character.

Any idea on the timing of the family suites?

DizneyFreak2002
07-30-2008, 11:19 AM
There is no mention of the Pirates themed rooms??? Orlando Sentinel has a picture of what the room is to look like...

TheAdventurer
07-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Ugh...I wish I hadn't booked CBR for my next trip now. Any word on where the refurbisment of rooms stands? Will there still be non-refurbished rooms in late September?

Sylvia
08-11-2008, 01:05 AM
CBR was always our favorite resort, partly because it was also our first on-property vacation, but primarily because of the island theming. Since 1989, we've stayed at CBR at least 12 times, with the most memorable time being our family vacation in August 2001. This was also my Mother's last visit to the World (she passed away 5 months later).

Don't get me wrong; I like Nemo, but as others have already mentioned, I don't get the connection here. Why would Disney "mess with" the perfect theming in the rooms? Does this mean the island music, island names, and the island theming of Old Port Royale are the next things to go? I hope not. One can only hope that the "powers that be" will come to their senses and leave well enough alone.

Refurbishment is one thing, but adding Nemo doesn't fit. It seems to me that Nemo-themed rooms might be a better fit at ASMovies.

CBR has joined the list of my favorite WDW places that have been changed into something entirely different than the original intent or have disappeared forever. I may visit CBR on my next vacation, but I probably won't stay there.

DonnaT103
08-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Count us as being another being extremly disapointed in the Nemo retheming of CBR. :cry: CBR has been our all time favorite of all the Disney resorts and now it seem they have gone and ruined it. Does Disney think that only families go to thier resorts? :confused: My DH and I have been going to Disney with out our DS (now 22yo) for the last 4 years. We've been undecided about what to do for vacation this year (due to a illness) and this just may decide us not going to Disney this year and going to the real Carabean instead. Ya I know it won't be Disney but my DH can't do any of his favorite rides this year:pout: so it maybe just as well. Did I say how disapointed I am with this refurbishment?:sob:

By the way, Jason I always look forward to your updates, Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
08-13-2008, 09:26 AM
The Trinidad South building rooms are scheduled to refurbished with PotC theming. This is the building that is furthest away from the central food court and closest to Pop Century.

Figment!
09-11-2008, 12:37 PM
**Update**

kakn7294
09-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the updates Jason!

For those of you who are worried, I saw pics of the Nemo rethemed rooms and they really aren't bad at all. I think they still maintained the Caribbean feel even with Nemo added in. If the links are allowed because they are from another website:

Beds (http://allears.net/acc/cbr212.jpg)
Wallpaper border at ceiling (http://allears.net/acc/cbr215.jpg)

The rest of the room is essentially unchanged. The dresser is different but not Nemo themed and it appears that the fridge is built into it. The curtains are a heavy drapery material in a silvery blue with a woven pattern that resembles water - very pretty actually.

I also saw pics of the pool on another website and if you are familiar with how the pool used to look, it looks very much the same only now it's much larger. There's no Nemo here and the Pirates theming looks just like the old fortress that was in place previously. There was a significant change in the kiddie pool - that now has a kiddie size water park themed like a pirate ship.

I really liked the changes overall and wouldn't hesitate to stay at this resort again. Well, maybe not in a Pirate themed room - those look a bit over the top!