PDA

View Full Version : Mini tripods for the parks?

LittleSpirit02
07-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Has anyone tried using a mini tripod in the parks? I would love to be able to take some night shots on my upcoming trip. I think I have also heard people mention some sort of clip on tripod? Any tips would be great. Usually I just try to find a trashcan or something to put my camera on and then use the timer ... would the tripod be worth it?

lindique
07-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Yes, getting a tripod is absolutely worth it. I have a Gorillapod-like mini tripod, which was made by another company. It is extremely light weight (weighs almost nothing as it is plastic), and slides on and off the camera very easily once you screw the top part into the bottom of the camera. It is made of small balls that bend easily and so the tripod will wrap itself around anything that's available - you don't need a flat surface - you can even use a pole.

I use the self-timer too when taking night shots - it works out great.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I use them quite often at the parks. They really improve the quality of the images.

DizneyRox
07-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Many camera shops sell bean bags which I have found are much better suited to using in the parks. Especially considering you are looking at a mini-tripod.

The bean bags can be put just about anywhere, on a railing, on a wall, table, etc. Curved surfaces don't matter, etc. I found it VERY handy and good enough for a full 35mm digital and a point and shoot.

Polynesian Dweller
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Yes, getting a tripod is absolutely worth it. I have a Gorillapod-like mini tripod, which was made by another company. It is extremely light weight (weighs almost nothing as it is plastic), and slides on and off the camera very easily once you screw the top part into the bottom of the camera. It is made of small balls that bend easily and so the tripod will wrap itself around anything that's available - you don't need a flat surface - you can even use a pole.

I use the self-timer too when taking night shots - it works out great.
Agree with everything! The Gorilla-pods are terrific. They come in different sizes from quite small (about 4") to large (1ft or so). We have one that's about 6" long, hardly notice it, its strong and rigid when it needs to be and wraps around most railings and even tree branches.

brownie
07-22-2008, 02:49 PM
I've used an Ultrapod II. There's a slightly smaller version called the Ultrapod. They both have a velcro strap that allows you to attach them to things instead of just setting them on something.

jonahbear2006
07-22-2008, 03:04 PM
just dont go cheap on this purchase. I agree with some of the suggestions on brands. A generic mini pod will not last you, as a matter of fact, the legs break off of them. Spend more money and get something that will last. This is not an item to go cheap on, though, most camera accessories aren't.

LittleSpirit02
07-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Can you find a Gorilla Pod (or similar) at most photo stores?

Aggie97
07-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I've been pleased with our Gorillapod. It's not too heavy or bulky to carry in a backpack, either. :mickey:

Mufasa
07-24-2008, 04:32 PM
The gorillapods are excellent to use in the parks as they are small, lightweight and can easily wrap around something like a railing to provide a steady anchor for your camera.

Just be sure to get the proper gorillapod for your camera- they come in several different sizes (to accomodate different camera weights) from a compact size for point and shoots up to a larger model for SLRs.

You can find gorillapods at some camera shops, or nationwide at REI stores and I've seen them repackaged under a different brand at Best Buy stores.

Increasingly at the parks, the use of full-sized tripods or monopods is discouraged.

Recently for example the Tokyo Disney Resort has been alerting it's guests to the following policy change to go into effect:

From September 1, for the safety of all Guests, taking photos or videos while using unipods, tripods, hard carrying cases, or other such equipment will not be allowed. Please refrain from bringing such equipment into the Park.

I've also seen guests asked to not use large tripods at Disneyland by security, although I have not heard that as an official policy stance from the resort.