PDA

View Full Version : Ever lost your luggage with ME?

pink
07-19-2008, 01:21 PM
I know that many people on here use ME and I plan on using it on our next trip. However, I'm scared that our luggage may get lost. Has this ever happened to anyone on here before?:mickey:

BronxTigger
07-19-2008, 01:36 PM
No, I haven't had that problem using DME. And that's saying a lot...my luggage has traveled to more places than I have!

d_m_n_n
07-19-2008, 02:44 PM
We have never used ME. However, on our last trip we came home from the parks on our first day to find 2 strange suitcases sitting in our room. We called Guest Services and they came and collected them. I don't know if it happens often, but it was a surprise to us!

Strmchsr
07-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Disney uses a very extensive tracking system with DME. The example above is the only item I've ever heard of even with luggage confusion. I've never heard of it getting lost. The airline may lose your luggage, but the chance of Disney losing it with DME is very, very small. Almost non-existent. The only thing that could happen is like above - it accidentally gets delivered to the wrong room, but even the chance of that is pretty remote and they'll know right where it is.

AllDisney
07-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Had friends who said that their luggage should have been delivered by 9PM., however, it was delivered at 2AM the next morning. I also think they said it was not the fault of Disney but the airlines.

We've never had an issue ourselves.

chick20679
07-19-2008, 03:41 PM
We've never had our luggage lost using DME.
It really is such a fantastic service ~ it's SO cool to not have to worry about your luggage when you get to MCO!! Just hop on a bus and let the magic begin! We love it!

VolMickey
07-19-2008, 03:41 PM
We had that issue (noted above) in 2006. DD and I crashed when we hit the pillows, but DW stayed up for the luggage and watch TV. Came to the room at like 1:00am.

Definitely plan on taking a carry-on with PJs, undies and bathing suits, as needed. :thumbsup:

Ed
07-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Definitely plan on taking a carry-on with PJs, undies and bathing suits, as needed. :thumbsup:

:ditto:

That is very sound advice. :thumbsup: Also include any medications you might need, your personal keys, and any paperwork related to your trip.

DME's "goal" is to get your bags to your room ASAP, but that's not always possible. For example, if there are thunderstorms at the airport, unloading your bags from your incoming flight will likely be delayed until the lightning is out of the area. Several of the airlines forbid their ramp workers to be on the tarmac during lightning - - and remember that this area is the Lightning Capital of the US. :rain:

Occasionally, those bright yellow DME luggage tags get dislodged from your bags; they can get caught in the conveyor belts in the airports, or accidentally torn off during handling. It then takes some time to track down your bags and get them to you.

And you can never count out traffic problems (accidents, breakdowns, etc.) delaying the bag trucks that do the heavy hauling.

Bottom line is, be prepared, but also try to be patient. It's a small price to pay for the convenience of the DME service.

BronxTigger
07-19-2008, 08:58 PM
We have never used ME. However, on our last trip we came home from the parks on our first day to find 2 strange suitcases sitting in our room. We called Guest Services and they came and collected them. I don't know if it happens often, but it was a surprise to us!

I don't think this happens often, but the exact same thing happened to me when I was at CBR. A quick phone call took care of it - bell services came within 15 minutes with my luggage and they took out the incorrect luggage.

Ropachs
07-20-2008, 09:42 AM
We've only use DME once to date, but it was fabulous, our luggage beat us to our room.

TheRustyScupper
07-20-2008, 01:51 PM
1) Most lost DME luggage occurs before hand-off from the airline.
2) DME has no control over this.
3) As for under DME control, it does get misplaced.
4) However, it is normally found within 24-36 hours.
5) Usual misplaced DME luggage is caused by
. . . placed into the wrong delivery cage at airport *
. . . delivery to wrong resort by the truck
. . . delivered to wrong room by DME luggage handlers

* Luggage is placed into a sealed rolling cage/basket and is usually kept together. Sometimes, the bag gets placed into another basket. The basket could be delivered to a different resort. Fortunately, when it is scanned, it is usually discovered. If lost, when you check on it, the location of the last scan can INSTANTLY be brought up.

chick20679
07-20-2008, 10:12 PM

:ditto:
That is very sound advice. :thumbsup: Also include any medications you might need, your personal keys, and any paperwork related to your trip.

Indeed. Sound advice whether using DME or not. When checking bags there's ALWAYS a chance they might be delayed.
It's prudent to take anything with you in your carry-on that isn't replaceable at the hotel gift shop.

BMan62
07-21-2008, 10:01 AM
The closest we came to having lost luggage was having ours delivered to the wrong room at Pop on our last trip. We called the front desk and they tracked it down and had it to us in less than 30 minutes.

gmgdisneymom
07-21-2008, 12:18 PM
we have used it twice with no problems and are planning on using it again in Oct. I love it:thumbsup:

CanadianWDWFan
07-21-2008, 12:46 PM
They way the airlines are going right now, I would be more worried about them losing it then DME. We had no issues at all with DME. I would use it again, no questions asked.

As an added note, you should put your name, phone number and where you are staying inside each of your bags. That way if anything happens there will be record in each bag on how to contact you.

Pop Centurion
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Last year we got to our room to find 2 of our 4 bags belonged to some one else. A quick call resolved the matter in less than an hour. The year before that we arrived in our room sometime between 11am and noon but didn't get our luggage until almost 1am. 12 plus hours is ridiculous if you ask me. Especially during the off season when the resorts are less packed. Had to cancel my B-Day dinner that night because our nicer clothes were in those bags.

jenny1976
07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
We used DME last year for the first time...Our experience was good, but when we came back home, my husband's bag did not arrive. It took only a day for them to deliver, the bag just did not get on the same flight as us. Generally, it was fantastic not to have to haul around or worry about our bags.
Hope it helps! Have Great trip!!!:thumbsup:

CleveRocks
07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
We used DME last year for the first time...Our experience was good, but when we came back home, my husband's bag did not arrive. It took only a day for them to deliver, the bag just did not get on the same flight as us. Generally, it was fantastic not to have to haul around or worry about our bags.
Hope it helps! Have Great trip!!!:thumbsup:Many times, it is this scenario that happens (the AIRLINE delays the bag), but DME unfairly gets the blame (in general, not in this case).

You know, an airline forgets to put some bags on a flight, you don't get your bags in a reasonable time, you get them 12 hours later, you assume DME goofed, when in fact it was the airline that goofed.

mouseketeer mom
07-22-2008, 08:55 AM
No, as a matter of fact I was worried about this on our last trip at Thanksgiving time because we had a last minute change to our arrival resort. So our ME tags said we were going to POR when we were going to the CR!!!! We had initially booked POR for one night before we moved to the CR..then the CR opened up for us. I wasn't certain our luggage would make it to us, since the tags said POR and we were no longer going there! But, no problem at all. They showed up at the CR, in our room about 4 hrs after our plane landed. No mix up at all. I'm a firm believer in the ME system!

TinyDancer
07-22-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm considering taking a trip by myself down to WDW and staying at a resort one night and then switching to another for a few nights. (I want to spend one night in a Deluxe!!! :cloud9: ) But my question is, if I use DME, will they deliver it to my main resort or to the one I'm staying at for one night? Ideally, I'd like to fly in in the afternoon and stay at the Deluxe (not wasting a day on my ticket), then switch to Value. Will they just deliver it to the Value? Or if they HAVE to deliver to the Deluxe, can I ask them to hold it at Bell Services and then transfer it to my other hotel the next day the way I would with any resort transfer? Sorry if this is confusing!!! :blush: I've never used DME and if I'm only going down for a few days I want to maximize my trip!