PDA

View Full Version : General DL in August Questions

LittleSpirit02
07-19-2008, 01:18 PM
I'll be in Disneyland in just about a month from now! :) I have been there once before over the 4th of July. I have some general questions about DL in August.

- How are the crowds? We will be in the parks on a Wednesday and Thursday.

- What's the weather like on average?

- Is the "Year of a Million Dreams" (I think that's its name) still going on? What all does that involve?

- Any other special tips, etc for next month?

We'll have 2 days in the parks.

Nekochan
07-21-2008, 06:47 AM
I am going next month (august) for the first time to DL too, but this is what I've heard:

Crowds are not too bad Monday to Thursday.

It's August - it's hot everywhere in the northern hemisphere, but not as hot as Orlando is in August. Plan on midday breaks for lunch and a swim. You might want to consider bringing neck coolers (google them if you don't know what they are)

The year of a million dreams is still going on. Basically, there are 'dream teams' that go around the park and hand out goodies - lanyards with special pins, hats, fast passes, or possibly a stay for one night in the 'mickey suite' at the DL hotel (or the Cinderella suite at the Cinderella Castle in the florida DL) among other things.

Last year, at Disney World, my son and I were treated to special lanyards and VIP seats at fantasmic at MGM. We were just in the right place at the right time.

MMouse6937
07-21-2008, 05:17 PM
We were in DL a few years ago in early Sept and found the weather to be pretty pleasant. It was hot but not nearly as hot as Sept in WDW. As far as the crowds go we were pretty surprised at the amount of people there, but I found out that CA kids have year round school so there is no "summer crowd" fluctuation, plus it's so central to the city that people do plan day trips there. We always found MK to be busier than CA but certainly not unmanagable or overwhelming. Hope you have a good time!

MegaDisney
07-21-2008, 06:07 PM
The year of a million dreams is still going on. Basically, there are 'dream teams' that go around the park and hand out goodies - lanyards with special pins, hats, fast passes, or possibly a stay for one night in the 'mickey suite' at the DL hotel (or the Cinderella suite at the Cinderella Castle in the florida DL) among other things.

At Disneyland the grand prize is a stay in the "Dream Suite" INSIDE Disneyland above the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in New Orleans Square.

The Mickey Suite (and Princess Diaries Suite) at the DLH are not part of the promotion at this time.

Aisling
07-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Southern California kids do NOT have year-round school. At least not in the San Diego County area.

Expect heat, expect crowds, get to love the pool in the afternoon. Drink lots of water, don't forget the hats and sunscreen and just enjoy your time at the parks.

Vito
07-23-2008, 05:33 AM
Southern California kids do NOT have year-round school. At least not in the San Diego County area.Yeah, they definitely don't have school year round. There may be a few rare schools here or there that have a different schedule and go year round or have a tri-mester system, but by and large the vast majority of Southern California schools (and schools around the country) have some sort of extended summer vacation.

The summer is most definitely more crowded than pre- and post- summer. September, just like at WDW, is much slower than mid-summer.

However, DL in August during mid-week shouldn't be too bad, and better than the weekend.

Expect heat, expect crowds, get to love the pool in the afternoon. Drink lots of water, don't forget the hats and sunscreen and just enjoy your time at the parks.Hats, sunscreen definitely (I've learned the hard way more than once... ouch) and it may sound weird, but bring a white hotel-type towel with you (the smaller hand towel kind). It can be great for wiping sweat off if it's hot, and it allows you to splash water on yourself at the water fountains and then dry off the excess. Plus, once its wet, it can be cool to wrap around your neck for a bit, which can help a TON - a lot of heat can be pulled away from your head and neck, and can help considerably in cooling down your overall body temp.

Aisling
07-25-2008, 07:10 PM
I love the towel tip, I'm going to have to try that!

Nekochan
07-27-2008, 09:20 AM
And that way, you don't have to shlep around neck coolers - brilliant idea!!!

LittleSpirit02
07-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Am I correct that Toy Story Mania does not have Fastpass?

Vito
07-28-2008, 04:05 AM
Am I correct that Toy Story Mania does not have Fastpass?Correct - there's no Fastpass at DCA's TSMM.