PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Hollywood Studios Announces Operational Changes for Late 2008 and 2009

Figment!
07-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Walt Disney World Resort Announcment
July 19, 2008

We are continually focused on providing the best possible experiences for our Guests who visit the Walt Disney World® Resort. Within the last six months, we have added significant new attractions and shows at Disney’s Hollywood Studios™, including Block Party Bash, Toy Story Midway Mania!, Pixar Place and Journey Into Narnia: Prince Caspian.

Coming in October 2008 will be the recently announced “High School Musical 3: Senior Year” and later this year, Disney’s Hollywood Studios™ will host the annual Night of Joy event for the first time and welcome back ABC Super Soap Weekend. At the same time, we have continued to update existing offerings such as Playhouse Disney—Live On Stage!

Next year, the park will unveil The American Idol Experience, host the first Grad Nite events at Disney’s Hollywood Studios™ and welcome back ESPN: The Weekend and Star Wars Weekends.

We regularly evaluate and refine our operations. At the same time we unveil The American Idol Experience in January 2009, we will make an adjustment to our operation by offering Fantasmic! on select evenings each week. Fantasmic! will be performed two times weekly –generally Mondays and Thursdays - and more often during our busiest times of the year.

On nights when Fantasmic! is not performed, Guests (with appropriate ticket media) will continue to have the opportunity to enjoy nightly fireworks spectaculars such as Wishes at the Magic Kingdom® Park and IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth at Epcot®.

chrisb26
07-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the update!

I'm not too happy with the announcement about Fantasmic being only 2 nights a week. I don't understand why almost every time I have ever gone to watch the show the theater has been basically full and that is all times of the year.

I can only imagine what will happen when its only offered 2 nights a week. Guess you'll have to get there very early to get a seat :(

scoot241
07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm not pleased with the Fantasmic changes either, especially when they seem to be associated with American Idol.

Looks like the Fantasmic Dining package is going to become even more important if you don't want to sit in line for hours.

Any word on whether Fantasmic will be done twice on the select evenings?

BrerSchultzy
07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
You have just got to love "Corporate Speak".

It genuinely sounds like they are saying that since they are offering The American Idol Experience, the demand for Fantasmic will go down, so it won't have to be offered as often.

Why not just come out and say it guys...you need to save money because you spent so much on all this new stuff, so you're reducing performances. That's really all that needs to be said.

In truth, I imagine that by summer time, the show will be performed every night (maybe taking the odd monday or tuesday off), but they don't want to get our hopes up.

MinnieMommie
07-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm also disappointed about the reduced number of Fantasmic Performances. IMHO American Idol is not a viable substitution for Fantasmic! :(

Mickeydream
07-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I am not a fan of American idol at all and least of all when I'm on vacation. It's a good thing that our trip in November '09 will be 11 days, so we will get more than one opportunity to see
Fantasmic! With it being shown only twice a week there will need to be more planning for a trip to WDW to see the always crowded show. Maybe by the time we go it will be back to a nightly show...here's hoping. :confused:

Clay Ransone
07-19-2008, 06:52 PM
2009 is not going to fun at MGM after dark. I'm glad I'm going in November and will be able to see Fantasmic! when I want and will not be subjected to the American Idol junk.

ScaryTom
07-19-2008, 08:14 PM
As bad as this all sounds to all of us, let's think of all the cast members who are losing there work location. With all these cut backs, with PI and now this, you know that many cast members will lose hours and some may even lose their jobs.

- Tom

Funforall
07-19-2008, 08:33 PM
THIS IS TERRIBLE NEWS. Fantasmic is always a favorite show. I've not been to a full show. I guess now the crowds at DHS will be packed on Mon and Thurs. We're not going to have a choice but to buy the dinner package just to be sure we get in.

CaptSmee
07-19-2008, 10:29 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I love American Idol, but would choose to see Fantasmic over it any day of the week!!!:(

Crow
07-20-2008, 01:18 AM
As bad as this all sounds to all of us, let's think of all the cast members who are losing there work location. With all these cut backs, with PI and now this, you know that many cast members will lose hours and some may even lose their jobs.

- Tom
Yes that is a question i posed about the PI closure
oh yes I was 1 who requested American Idol & to have less performances of Fantasmic!
actually i was subjected to watching AI by the ex:ack:

vizsla
07-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Very disappointed with the cut backs with Fantasmic. It is a show my family really enjoys and see it at least twice per trip. Now with the cut backs that may be harder to do.

pdrlkr
07-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the update Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey: I'm not to happy about Fantasmic though.

TINKERBELL_82
07-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Thats sad news about Fantasmic, but on the bright side I think doing Grad Night at DHS is a great idea!:mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
07-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Does anyone besides me think this may have something to do with the economy. Disney Parks have had a great run for the last few years, with crowds getting bigger each year. I'm thinking this next year will be different, that perhaps the corporate big wigs are expecting a bad year. Right now with gas prices so high and everyone cutting back on travel they must be in a panic. :shake: IMHO Disney is still one of the best deals out there but that doesn't mean they won't feel the pinch. People will cut back on trips so fewer shows will be offered. The economy will get better, but it will take awhile.

ibrowse17
07-20-2008, 11:02 AM
I do not watch American Idol, nor do I plan to. It holds no interest for me, and I fail to see any connection, other than $$$, between it and Disney. Needless to say I do not like these changes, and will not have anything to do with American Idol at Disney.

AllDisney
07-20-2008, 01:30 PM
We LOVE Fantasmic. It's a family tradition to go there our first and last night of our WDW vacation.

Looks like the show won't be going on Saturdays or Fridays which are the first and last days of our vacation:mad:

Polynesian Dweller
07-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd love Fantasmic every night of the week, but I also know that Disney keeps very close track of the number of guests entering an attraction and then compares that to the operational cost. They are obviously seeing a decline in Fantasmic attendance, not surprising since every attractions attendance starts to decline at some point. With the number of performers its got to be expensive.

I remember when it started, you had to be there more than a hour ahead to get a seat. Recently, you didn't have much trouble getting in even coming just a few minutes before the show started on many nights. So, it seems to me that the crowds are eroding just as you would expect for an older show.

They do say more often in busier times so one has to wait to see what that means.

CanadianWDWFan
07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the update Jason!:thumbsup:

I can't believe that Disney would hop on board with these "trendy" performances. Sure folks like these shows, but I really don't and I don't want to have to listen or deal with these attractions.

I will have to seriously rethink any future visits to the park. The Studios really didn't appeal me all that much. Now with Fantasmic all but shut down I really don't want to go back.

CaptainDisney
07-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I remember when it started, you had to be there more than a hour ahead to get a seat. Recently, you didn't have much trouble getting in even coming just a few minutes before the show started on many nights. So, it seems to me that the crowds are eroding just as you would expect for an older show.

They do say more often in busier times so one has to wait to see what that means.

These are both excellent points IMHO. I LOVE Fantasmic - I am upset by this announcement. But attendence is noticably lower than in the past.

Also, I think we'll have to wait and see where this goes. Fantasmic very well may be performed more than two nights a week during a majority of the year. Here's to hoping!

Stich8818
07-20-2008, 03:59 PM
I really dont understand cutting one of the most popular attactions the one that people plan their day around, to focus more attention to an attraction that has not entertained one guest yet . Not to mention the ratings for AI has gone down the last 3 seasons. But i guess they are looking at the bottom line and may save some money but then they may bring more shows back in the future to meet the demand. But I just dont like the fact they think that the AI attraction will be the best thing since the TOT

DisneyDudet
07-20-2008, 08:55 PM
I haven't seen WDW's Fantasmic since 2002, and we left before it was over. Its long, and we've seen it before.

Even though I don't normally go to Fantasmic, I find it a great experience and great show. I think that cutting it to TWO nights a week is a little much. I would think that MAYBE every other day, or 4 nights a week, but TWO? Is attendance really that low, that out of 7 nights, you could fit everyone who would see it in that week's time, into only 2 nights? I can't fathom that.

It will be a logistical nightmare on these days. I will avoid the Studios on the "Fantasmic Days".

It also means that Illuminations and Wishes will be even more crowded. People will want to see nighttime shows, so they will have to go to these. Fantasmic isn't a Spectro, that takes up a portion of a park's crowds. Its a LARGE show, that draws most of the Studios' guests (in my experiences anyway). I know they used to cut MK nighttime events during the slow times, but they at least had them on WEEKENDS!

Thanks, Disney. You've just created a mess.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Mark another one for the disappointed. I LOVE Fantasmic, and see it 3-4 times if I'm there for a week, and at least twice if I'm there for only 5 days. I'm extremely disappointed in this decision.

This, along with the closing of PI, makes me not want to go down there as much any more. They're taking away a lot of what I really enjoyed.

Maybe I'll just have to try Disneyland or something.

Seriously...I'm not impressed by this at all.

Chris :hatter:

Crow
07-20-2008, 09:09 PM
any numbers? It can seat a lot of people. when i was there in Feb it seemed pretty full. had to sit in next to last section.

elmjimmlm
07-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Why would they take such a popular attraction like Fantasmic and cut it back...IMO this is the best attraction in HS for those of us who aren't big ride fans...I just hope that it will not be impossible to get in on these nights...I can't imagine going to Disney and not being able to see Fantasmic because of the crowds...:(

hokies4life
07-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Looks like I'll have alot of careful planning to do for our next trip. I was really looking forward to taking DBF to Fantasmic, now I'll just add that to the list of things to work around when making ADRs. Hopefully things won't be as bad as they are planning for, and by summer it will be up to at least 4 or 5 nights a week.

:chipdale:

JPL
07-20-2008, 11:55 PM
This is very simply a cost cutting measure. Fantasmic costs $30,000 a show to put on according to a few sources.

I also think it's a lack of faith in the attractions at the Studios especially AI so they feel Fantasmic will take the crowds away from it. They figure if Fantasmic is not showing more guests will go to see the final show of the day of AI. I think that's where the big conflict is. I think before cutting it back to 2 nights a week they should cut it 1 show a day instead of 2. If it will conflict with the final show of AI cut out which ever show does.

GrumpyFan
07-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Hmm... I wonder if this is cost-cutting in response to lower projected bookings for early next year or is this in response to declining numbers/popularity for the show?

The only way to fight this is to stop by guest relations when you're there on the days it's not showing and voice your complaint.

Spaceship Tigger
07-21-2008, 08:36 AM
I think that cutting it to TWO nights a week is a little much. I would think that MAYBE every other day, or 4 nights a week, but TWO? Is attendance really that low, that out of 7 nights, you could fit everyone who would see it in that week's time, into only 2 nights? I can't fathom that.

It will be a logistical nightmare on these days. I will avoid the Studios on the "Fantasmic Days".

Cutting a show from seven nights down to two seems very strange. AI is certainly no replacement - sure it gets high TV ratings, but in the real world I would say as many peeople despise the show as love it.

We saw Fantasmic last year and loved it (in September, slow time of year, yet the theater was full), but I certainly won't go anywhere near that theater during one of two weekly performances. In fact, we'll make sure we find out for our trip in January what nights it is offered and totally avoid the Studios on those days.

Lynn J Mc
07-21-2008, 08:48 AM
I have never watched American Idol but I have seen Fantasmic about 10 times. Thankfully we are going in September. This is the stupidest thing ever. Next thing you know they will cancel Wishes.

Pop Centurion
07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Fantasmic is one of the very few reasons I go to DHS and the only reason I stay until it closes. We already leave DHS to eat since we don't like anything there, so take away Fantasmic on a day we're there, and this will become a less than half day visit for us. I like many others who posted above do not even like AI so this sure as heck isn't going to attract me in the least bit.

Goofster
07-21-2008, 04:34 PM
When we were there in Feburary, Fantasmic was closed due to capacity at least 30-minutes before the 9pm showing. We enjoyed MGM, but it is a park we can easily skip as parents of 3 kids under the age of 5. There isn't a lot for us to do in that park to begin with, so if Fantasmic is closed, we'll probably avoid the park on our next trip.

GrumpyFan
07-21-2008, 04:38 PM
I have to wonder too if maybe they're planning some sort of big nighttime American Idol wrap-up show, where they take all the winners from the day and have a showdown where the guests can all vote? Perhaps they're planning to use the Fantasmic arena for this show on the nights that Fantasmic is not showing?

JT Mac
07-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I have to wonder too if maybe they're planning some sort of big nighttime American Idol wrap-up show, where they take all the winners from the day and have a showdown where the guests can all vote? Perhaps they're planning to use the Fantasmic arena for this show on the nights that Fantasmic is not showing?

Nothing about the Fantasmic stage is set up for a live performer speaking let alone singing on stage so I really doubt there's a nighttime AI show in the works there.

I wouldn't mind seeing a show at the hat though...

r4kids
07-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't understand what one has to do with the other. Even if they do an AI show why remove Fantasmic. It is one of our favorites it is a half day park anyway. I hate to be overwhelmed by everyone else trying to get in. What are they planning for the AI show? We only watch the first couple of shows ( ya know the funny part) and then we could care less. When in Jan do they plan to do this? I am feeling less and less magic lately!!:mad:

GrumpyFan
07-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Nothing about the Fantasmic stage is set up for a live performer speaking let alone singing on stage so I really doubt there's a nighttime AI show in the works there.

Yeah, but it wouldn't take much for imagineering to rig something up and build a temporary stage.

Sunshine1010
07-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Soooooo, this is like Spectromagic. It only happens on certain nights.

Hhhmmmm....not sure if I like that. Especially since Fantasmic is HS's version of 'nightly fireworks'.

I'm assuming that this will start in January 2009?.....because I'll be there in December.

Vito
07-22-2008, 04:53 AM
This is sad, yes, but truthfully, these are the kinds of things that are inevitable. You just can't pay hundreds of cast members in addition to the pyro costs for mid-week shows during the off-peak season, just so 1,000 guests can see a show that they can see on another night.

It's like expecting park hours to be midnight every night of the year at every park, regardless of what the crowds are like. Of course we'd love that - but they just can't do it. I realize it's Disney, but NO business can operate during off-peak seasons at full tilt like it can during peak seasons.

I'm surprised that they haven't done this already during the slow-seasons.

Like I said, I'm sure we all wish that they'd have two showings of Fantasmic every night, Spectromagic and two showings of Wishes every night, parks open till midnight every night, etc. That's just not financially feasible for Disney, and if the alternative is raising park admission costs or cutting back on show performances, there's no question what I'd prefer and what will benefit Disney (and all of us in the long run). Raising prices so that we can have all these luxuries would hurt attendance, and in the long run hurt our chances of getting new great attractions. It's a lose-lose situation for us all.

I guarantee that during peak seasons there will be much, much more than 2 shows a week. They don't want to say it because they don't want people planning on it and then being disappointed, but I'd be very willing to bet that it will be 7 shows per week during peak season, if not 2 shows per night on some nights/weekends.

The reality is that travel is down, and especially during the winter crunch the folks in the north country pay so much for heating costs that this past winter really hurt the economy for the north country. This, I'm sure, has made a lot of vacation planners reluctant to plan vacations for the Winter season this upcoming year, so the cutbacks are likely a direct result of lower reservation numbers for January and beyond.

Again, once the crowds pick up, they'll begin showing Fantasmic more often in proportion to the number of guests.

Disney should go above and beyond to make guests happy, and most of the time they do (which is why people keep coming back), but there comes a point where they have to cut back when it's something that could really hurt financially. It's not like Fantasmic is going to be removed altogether... The only times it will likely be 2 times per week is during the very slow season, in which case you should have no problem catching it.

Any time Disney cuts back on something it's a bad sign, but they make a valid point in bringing up just how many things have been added. I think you get more value for your money now at Disney than you ever have. There's four parks and several more e-tickets than there ever used to be. If you go back to the early 90s, you realize just how much has been added to the parks - Splash Mt, Animal Kingdom (which has subsequently added Expedition Everest), Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin, ToT, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Toy Story Midway Mania, etc. Downtown Disney has grown, the Value resorts have sprug up (let's not forget that prior to the All-Star resorts, there was no true "value" resort on property). There's more reason than ever to spend a week at WDW, while in the late 80s or very early 90s, 3-4 days would probably suffice.

My point in all this is (sorry for all the rambling) is that yes, this is clearly a cost-cutting measure, but so are things like cutting back park hours during the off-season, and extending them during the peak-season. While we may not like that, I think we need to admit that occasionally it's Disney's only alternative.

What will really scare me is if they start cutting back significantly on things like Fantasmic, fireworks, park hours, etc during the busiest times of the year. Then we'll know we're in trouble.

DisneyAndRedSox
07-22-2008, 07:23 AM
I go every January and I am used to things on a reduced schedule since it is off-peak.

What really ANNOYS me is the week I am going Spectromagic is on Saturday, Monday and Thursday nights... and Fantasmic is also on Monday and Thursday! If we have lousy weather one of those nights we don't have a lot of options! Plus DH can only stay for the weekend and we have dinner ressies on Sat night, I guess the only thing he can see is Illuminations while he's there!

Momof2boys
07-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Fantasmic! is our favorite attraction at DHS . . . very disappointed to see it reduced to 2 nights per week.

Vito
07-22-2008, 09:45 AM
I go every January and I am used to things on a reduced schedule since it is off-peak.

What really ANNOYS me is the week I am going Spectromagic is on Saturday, Monday and Thursday nights... and Fantasmic is also on Monday and Thursday! If we have lousy weather one of those nights we don't have a lot of options! Plus DH can only stay for the weekend and we have dinner ressies on Sat night, I guess the only thing he can see is Illuminations while he's there!I think that might change. Have January park hours and event schedules even been announced yet, or are you looking at the January 08 schedule? As far as I know, Disney hasn't released it's "official" January 09 schedule.

While Spectromagic on the same night as Fantasmic isn't exactly the same as having Wishes on the same night as Fantasmic, it doesn't really make sense to have them on the same nights. I think they may end up doing something like adding an extra night of Spectromagic or moving one of the shows to a different night.

I'd keep my eye on the schedules.

DisneyAndRedSox
07-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Disney's website has the calendar posted for January, that is where I got all the days for Fantasmic and Spectromagic. In the past two years they kept certain nights without Spectromagic since they do the Pirate and the Princess patry

Vito
07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Disney's website has the calendar posted for January, that is where I got all the days for Fantasmic and Spectromagic. In the past two years they kept certain nights without Spectromagic since they do the Pirate and the Princess patryOhh, I hadn't seen that the Jan hours/schedules were up yet. That's really odd. It seems like Spectromagic is one of the bigger night-time draws (outside of Fantasmic, Wishes, and Illuminations, of course) and that they wouldn't want it to conflict with Fantasmic if they could possibly avoid it. It will be interesting to see if they do eventually add more Fantasmics, or add/move/change the Spectro schedule.

Disney Doll
07-22-2008, 11:45 AM
The reduction in Fantasmic shows really caught me by surprise. We usually go in the off season (Feb) and as far as I can tell Fantasmic is still a very popular show. Last time we saw Fantasmic (Feb '07) the theater was full. They usually only offer one showing per night that time of year so even with the lower winter crowds the shows still fill up.

ParkMan
07-22-2008, 12:01 PM
I can certainly understand their desire to cut costs. The recent economic conditions must be hitting them 2x as hard as most of us.

This will definitely change the day I go to DHS.

The earlier post that the DHS staff believes that Fantasmic is stealing attendance from other shows makes a lot of sense to me. Also, if the $30,000 per show number if correct and they make up $150,000 per week, I can't imagine that they will lose anywhere near that amount in visitors to that park.

That said, I will NEVER attend an American Idle show. I can't bring myself to watch it on TV, and I won't go see one on my vacation. I feel bad for Disney that they jumped on this dying bandwagon :(

Lizzie
07-22-2008, 12:12 PM
This all makes me sad. It just cutback after cutback. With nothing exciting planned. Getting to Fantasmic is going to have to be a carefully planned event. I don't have any desire to see any American Idol show. I hope they don't raise the cost for the dinner with seating for this show.

Vito
07-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I tend to agree about the American Idol thing. It doesn't really make sense to me. It feels like they're trying to hop on the bandwagon of something that's "trendy" (TV's highest rated show) but it just doesn't seem like a good fit. Why would I want to watch everyday park guests sing what's in essence karaoke?

I'm not quite sure I get what the appeal is. Kinda seems like Disney wasn't thinking this one all the way through, which in and of itself is somewhat scary. I hope they didn't invest too much in this.

On the positive side, the building that's housing it hasn't really been used for a good attraction in I don't know how long, so it's not replacing something I was interested in. And I don't think the cost of running the attraction will be all that much - at least not compared to putting on a show like Fantasmic.

And even though they try to make it sound like American Idol is an "alternative" to Fantasmic, I still think it's more about $ than anything else. (And of course, as I've laid out earlier, I completely understand why it has to happen at this point, and still firmly believe that during peak times Fantasmic will be a nightly event).

elmjimmlm
07-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Do you think that since Fantasmic will show more often at busier times, will it still be every night the week between Christmas and New Years?

Vito
07-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Do you think that since Fantasmic will show more often at busier times, will it still be every night the week between Christmas and New Years?Oh definitely. These cutbacks won't even go into effect until January, so throughout the fall and the rest of 2008, Fantasmic is scheduled to go on every night (and 2 times on certain nights, especially during the holiday season).

I imagine the cutbacks will extend through January, but you'll likely see several shows each week during the February peak season (presidents week - winter vacation for schools).

Stickey
07-22-2008, 01:10 PM
This news is very disappointing. Reducing a headliner like Fantasmic to two nights a week is an extreme measure. One new attraction and some low level entertainment are a poor substitute.

Slow seasons? There are no slow seasons, unless economic pressures bring them back to WDW. Every Fantasmic show I have seen has been at 90-100% capacity, in September and December. Lack of demand is not the issue.

DHS will be packed on the Fantasmic days. A 180 day ADR may be needed.

It is understandable for Disney to look for ways to reduce expenses. However, rising ticket prices combined with a reduction in attractions results in a decrease in value.

The trend of cutting-back services and attractions and selling-off land for third party development will not provide long-term benefits for WDW, or its guests. These are simply steps to improve short-term profitability. The assumption is that people will continue to return to WDW. It looks like the many criticisms of Mr. Eisner were greatly exaggerated.

ParkMan
07-22-2008, 01:11 PM
The thing that concerns me the most is that someone over at WDW thinks the American Idol thing is a good idea.

I'm not concerned that they have a big karaoke show. It's not my thing, but I understand Disney needs to cater to a wide audience.

I'm just disappointed that they are simply latching onto a pop culture name and showing very little Disney creativity. I could buy it more if there was some kind of ABC tie in, but there's no real tie in that I can think of.

KAT1811
07-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Does anyone besides me think this may have something to do with the economy. Disney Parks have had a great run for the last few years, with crowds getting bigger each year. I'm thinking this next year will be different, that perhaps the corporate big wigs are expecting a bad year. Right now with gas prices so high and everyone cutting back on travel they must be in a panic. :shake: IMHO Disney is still one of the best deals out there but that doesn't mean they won't feel the pinch. People will cut back on trips so fewer shows will be offered. The economy will get better, but it will take awhile.

I'm with you. If the rest of the country is feeling it WDW must be too.

ASweetLov
07-22-2008, 02:19 PM
This is horrible news!!!! I love Fantasmic and absolutely hate American Idol. I will have to plan accordingly next year when I visit WDW when to go to DHS so my sister and I can enjoy Fantasmic.

brownie
07-22-2008, 02:42 PM
That's a bummer about Fantasmic!.

Goes4FastPass
07-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Disney is reducing services to cut expenses again and as always, it seems like some fans rush to worry about poor old Disney.

When we discuss the cost of presenting Fantasmic! we should also consider the revenue Fantasmic! generates. I always buy concessions and others do too. The lines are always long. Fantasmic! is like going to the ball game - it seems like most people eat. Among other things it's a way to kill time between arriving early enough to get good seats and the time the show starts.

This Disney-speak about "with appropriate ticket media...opportunity" Could be put another way: Guests who wish to enjoy a full day of theme park entertainment will need to add the hopping option to their admission media.

Increasingly, it seems like Disney is trying to punish shorter resort visits. Consider the MYW tiny cost difference between 3 days and 10 days - and if you're staying 10 days or 2 weeks or longer, catching Fantasmic! one of the two nights a week it plays is easier...

...and on the nights Fantasmic! isn't playing, you can avoid the fireworks crowds at MK and EPCOT by simply buying a ticket to LaNouba or doing something else that costs an additional fee.

I'm not saying the Disney Company can't experiment with ways to increase revenue. I just wish (1) they wouldn't announce it to us like it's something guests asked for or for our benefit and (2) Disney fans would realize the Disney Company is doing business. It may seem like magic to us but it's business to them.

wilcat
07-22-2008, 03:50 PM
I am also quite upset with the changes that WDW is making. I can understand them wanting to change PI ( I think it needed a face lift) but to eliminate some the Fantasmic shows makes no sense. American Idol is a joke as far as I am concerned and I wouldn't watch it if someone paid me to. WDW has just taken a one day park for me down to a 2 hour park. I was hoping to return to the world in 2009 but with all of the announced changes (and who knows how many more to come) I think I will stay away for a few years until things settle down a bit. I'm not against change but what Disney is doing now seems a bit extreme.

Goes4FastPass
07-22-2008, 03:55 PM
What's American Idol going to look like at DHS - tweenage Hanna Montana impersonators?

Fear overwhelmes me.

readytogo2
07-22-2008, 04:11 PM
cutting back on the Fastasmic for idol is SO SO SAD:mad::sick:

jszczur5
07-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the update!

I'm not too happy with the announcement about Fantasmic being only 2 nights a week. I don't understand why almost every time I have ever gone to watch the show the theater has been basically full and that is all times of the year.

I can only imagine what will happen when its only offered 2 nights a week. Guess you'll have to get there very early to get a seat :(

Well this should send the Fantasmic Dinner package reservations through the roof.

mrte62
07-22-2008, 04:22 PM
I can not agree with Goes4FastPass any more.

IMHO this is just another step towards all the parks being open 9:00am to 6:00pm every day and then hard tickets being required for "special events." at a park or two each night.

After 9/11 hours were cut due to the economy; when business boomed a few years later, did those hours return?

Princess, Halloween and Christmas parties fill up more and more evenings at the MK. Night of Joy and other events moving to DHS? Me thinks it is only the beginning of more events to come.

I wonder what special evening (hard ticket) events are being planned for EPCOT and the AK?

Pleasure Island needs more restaurants and WDW needs Flamingo Crossing? People who won't pay twice a day to go to theme parks will need places to go in the evening or during the day.

I hope I am wrong, but.....

Lizzie
07-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Fantasmic seems like one of those shows that brings in some money. We have gotten the dinner package on our last two trips. Its the only show we get there early for and buy drinks and food. And the only show we go and buy nighttime toys for the kids. And the lines for the food and drinks and toys don't seem very short.

lockedoutlogic
07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
hmmmm....

seems pretty straight forward to me.....

easy sell in american idol....and one that they have to invest practically zero in development....

eliminating nightly fantasmic reduces operating costs significantly....including most likely reassigning or laying off the performers.....

and closing mgm without any nightime show will flood the backside of EPCOT for the fireworks (which apparently are not going to be replaced soon as they should be).....which of course is a gigantic collection of shops and food..... which you have to travel past a collection of shops and food at Y&B and Boardwalk to get too....

not exactly thinly veiled this "press release" was? don't you think?

GrumpyFan
07-22-2008, 06:52 PM
lockedoutlogic that was brilliant, even if a bit cynical! I don't know if all of that was necessarily involved in the decision by WDW management, but it sure does sound like a winner (for WDW at least).

SgtTigger
07-22-2008, 07:53 PM
OK I now have no reason to go to the Studios.

We go every Nov. We are done with what we want to do by 1:00pm. We hang out and eat at the park till the Osborne lights come on and then head over to Fantasmic.

Now word has it that the Osborne lights will not be turned on till after Thanksgiving so that will be to late for our trip and now no Fantasmic......
Well that means No Studios for me...... I dont like tower of terror, rocking roller coaster, I have been to the 2 stunt showes and they dont change. backlot tour is boring now. we dont have kids and dont do playhouse and have done little mermaid a couple of times.......

Yep no reason for us to waste our money on a ticket.................. so long studios...........

:cop: :tigger:

Mom2Princess'
07-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Wow! This is very upsetting. Fantasmic! is a terrific show and we have never seen it not to capacity, and we typically go during the "slow" times. Without it, there will be no reason to go to the studios in the evening.:confused:

iadarolas
07-22-2008, 10:46 PM
I am so unhappy:ill: about this announcement. Fantasmic is what made me love The Studios. I think Disney is making a big, HUGE mistake. I could see Fantasmic several times in one vacation. What does American Idol have to do with Disney anyway? :ack::mad:

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
07-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Put me on record as predicting an American Idol failure.

"with appropriate ticket media" - Sounds like the suits decided it would be better to force people into getting park hoppers if they want to see a fireworks show each night while at WDW.

This was the best they could come up with? Uugh.

Vito
07-22-2008, 11:29 PM
OK I now have no reason to go to the Studios.

We go every Nov. We are done with what we want to do by 1:00pm. We hang out and eat at the park till the Osborne lights come on and then head over to Fantasmic.

Now word has it that the Osborne lights will not be turned on till after Thanksgiving so that will be to late for our trip and now no Fantasmic......
Well that means No Studios for me...... I dont like tower of terror, rocking roller coaster, I have been to the 2 stunt showes and they dont change. backlot tour is boring now. we dont have kids and dont do playhouse and have done little mermaid a couple of times.......

Yep no reason for us to waste our money on a ticket.................. so long studios...........

:cop: :tigger:You did read the announcement, right? Fantasmic won't be cut back until after the holidays in January of 2009. Until that time, Fantasmic will be shown every night through the rest of 2008, with two shows on some nights.

Doug The Disney Man
07-23-2008, 12:10 AM
Oh, Fantasmic. Twice a week? I understand that it is a very expensive show, but it is always packed. I can see this happening in January or September when it is slower, but July or December? I know it says the shows will occur more frequently during busier times, but what does that mean exactly?

As for being a financial issue---I don't know. Disney seems to be the only big player that isn't making big additions. In the Orlando area, Universal adds the Simpsons Ride and a whole land for Harry Potter that's gotta cost hundreds of millions. Busch adds Aquatica, a huge water park. Around the country, parks are making major additions in rides, water and shows. And it seems like most of them are not cutting current shows, etc., unless they are replacing it with the new thing.

And as for "spending too much on new things," what new things? American Idol seems like it cost almost nothing. Toy Story was some expense, and I guess this new Pleasure Island will be some cost, but what big new expensive thing are they scrimping because of. Or is something on the horizon?

Vito
07-23-2008, 05:19 AM
Oh, Fantasmic. Twice a week? I understand that it is a very expensive show, but it is always packed. I can see this happening in January or September when it is slower, but July or December? I know it says the shows will occur more frequently during busier times, but what does that mean exactly?They don't want to say for sure what it means or how often it will be showing during the busy periods because they don't want people to plan around it and then have to announce there are less shows than expected. But I'd be extremely willing to bet that during the peak times you will see likely 7 or more shows per week. During the peak season, they would have a MOB of people turned away from Fantasmic if it was only showed two times or even 3 or 4 times per week. They can't turn that many people away from a show like that.

And again, just so people understand, the shows won't be cutting back for Fantasmic until after the 2008/09 holiday season (January). Fantasmic will be shown a minimum of once daily through the end of 2008.

As for being a financial issue---I don't know. Disney seems to be the only big player that isn't making big additions. In the Orlando area, Universal adds the Simpsons Ride and a whole land for Harry Potter that's gotta cost hundreds of millions. Busch adds Aquatica, a huge water park. Around the country, parks are making major additions in rides, water and shows. And it seems like most of them are not cutting current shows, etc., unless they are replacing it with the new thing.Islands of Adventure hasn't added any attractions (major ones) since the park opened in 1999. It's gone ten years with virtually no changes at all... and the park is suffering attendance-wise. Their additions aren't because the economy is in an upturn - the addition of Harry Potter (mostly probably due to the new ownership of NBC/Universal) is an effort to breathe life back into something that's struggled, as far as I'm aware. Harry Potter is a sizzling hot franchise right now, and any delays to jump on the bandwagon could spell a loss of hundreds of millions of dollars in potential revenue. Unlike Disney, Universal can't afford to play it conservative right now and "wait out the storm." They have a different set of investors, a different company plan, and they're honestly a different entity than Disney. Universal/IOA is still not a "destination" right now like WDW is, as much as they may try. They risk losing far more than Disney does, and Disney can afford to play their hand conservatively, which often pays off in the long run.

Universal depends on the visits of Disney resort guests to stay afloat. If the economy is running thin, Universal knows that Disney park guests are going to be even less likely to visit Universal/IOA because they don't want to spend the money. Universal is banking on the idea that kids will bug their parents to go see Harry Potter World.

And as for "spending too much on new things," what new things? American Idol seems like it cost almost nothing. Toy Story was some expense, and I guess this new Pleasure Island will be some cost, but what big new expensive thing are they scrimping because of. Or is something on the horizon?Star Tours 2 is being developed right now (confirmed by multiple sources if not officially announced yet, and it's more than just a new ride film. Potentially new ride simulators, 3D technology, etc) and may open in 2010, and rumors of major attraction addition(s) for Fantasyland as well as a potential addition to World Showcase.

Either way, you can't judge based on what's happening in recent months or even over the past few years. Let's not forget, Expedition Everest was a HUGE addition and is barely 2 years old yet. Soarin is only 3, and they just added Toy Story Midway Mania this summer. That's three fairly large (and by most reports very entertaining) attraction additions in the past 3 years. If anything, that's above average for Disney. (And you could even say Lights Motors, Action was a semi-major addition, even if it's only a show).

Let's wait 2 or 3 years and see what happens. Maybe then we can say "you know, it's been 3 years since they added a major attraction."

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
07-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Maybe they will get rid of Fantasmic and turn it into a Wipeout! zone. Who here wouldn't pay to see WDW guests bounce off the big balls.

Fantasmic is a great show, but now you just have to do better planning if you want to see it.

d_m_n_n
07-23-2008, 10:39 AM
:down: I'm disappointed with this news. We've not been able to see it yet because the boys weren't able to handle some of the scenes. Oh well. Now we'll just have to plan a little better.

KAJUNKING
07-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Hmm... I wonder if this is cost-cutting in response to lower projected bookings for early next year or is this in response to declining numbers/popularity for the show?

i think its probably a little of both, year before last we went in sept and fantasmic was very empty

Catzle
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Wow! I guess that about sums it up. We love that show and never miss it. It's so packed now what will be like when it's only two nights a week, I can't even imagine! I do not watch American Idol, ever, so that will have no impact on me. Very sad!

GrumpyFan
07-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Maybe they will get rid of Fantasmic and turn it into a Wipeout! zone. Who here wouldn't pay to see WDW guests bounce off the big balls.

Ummm... NO, NO, NO!!! I assume you were just kidding. Right?

However, that does lead to a good idea. An interactive show such as this, where people would get wet, not necessarily muddy, would be a good idea, whether it's in the studios or in one of the water parks maybe. The Studios or even Epcot could use a "wet" attraction. Or, another idea might be to have a show like this at the newly renamed ESPN Wide World of Sports.

I'm getting off topic here, but why not build a sports themed park at WWS or somewhere on WDW property with water sport games similar to Wipeout or American Gladiator, plus, baseball, football, soccer, boxing, rock climbing, etc events that people could compete in for prizes. It probably wouldn't be a huge draw, but there are enough sports competitors that visit WDW on a daily basis who would probably give this a shot.

SgtTigger
07-23-2008, 03:19 PM
You did read the announcement, right? Fantasmic won't be cut back until after the holidays in January of 2009. Until that time, Fantasmic will be shown every night through the rest of 2008, with two shows on some nights.

Yes I did read it..........

This goes back to a topic that the Osborne lights wont be on this year till after Thanksgiving.........
Now after January they will only have Famtasmic 2 times a week...... Come on have you been to Fastasmic???????
On nights that they have 2 showes of Fantasmic in one night it is packed at both showes........... standing room only.....
Now some one has the great idea to only do it 2 nights a week..... what kind of chance do you think you have of getting in???? You will have to line up 4 hours before the show to get in........

What is next????

Wishes once a week?
Illuminations 2 times a week????
Only half the countries open a day???
One land closed a day at Magic Kingdom???

Yea as you can see I am not happy........
I am wondering who is over the parks right now..... Is Michael Eisner back??????
First 20 million on a bus syatem that does not work.... now cut backs on showes?????
not good disney not good at all.....

SAHDad
07-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Not much reason for us to go to DHS now. We were planning on doing the Fantasmic Dinner package for our Jan trip, but I am more than a little concerned by the "Fantasmic! will be performed two times weekly –generally Mondays and Thursdays" language. Maybe they won't let me book the dinner package unless Fantasmic is on that night, maybe I can book it and hope that they don't move it around.

In the meantime, while I like Star Tours, and enjoy watching the Jedi training academy, and a couple of the shows, DHS is little more than a time-filler to finish out the day after AK. Without Fantasmic, I may as well head over to Epcot or MK instead.

American Idol holds almost no interest for me - I watch the tryout episodes (mainly for the laughs), and then ignore it until the final 4 (or entirely - I don't think I have watched the end of the last two seasons).

mrte62
07-23-2008, 03:41 PM
SgtTigger posted:

What is next????

Wishes once a week?
Illuminations 2 times a week????
Only half the countries open a day???
One land closed a day at Magic Kingdom???

Maybe a bit drastic, but I will stand by my earlier post with a twist:

1) The parks will be open from 9am to 6pm and then evening events with hard tickets.

2) The possibilty that one park a day will be closed.

Pick your poison :ill:

Imagineer1981
07-23-2008, 04:14 PM
This is terrible...i understand the economy is down but cut out other places...don't take away Fantasmic!

lockedoutlogic
07-23-2008, 04:46 PM
This is terrible...i understand the economy is down but cut out other places...don't take away Fantasmic!

I couldn't disagree more.....

it is a good place to cut...well....maybe not "good", but logical....

it's the same thing....day in and out.....it's been there what? 9 years?

you can't just keep throwing the same thing at people when it's a show......it's non-interactive and eventually you have to change or phase it out......

they do this with rides.....they certainly do this with parades and fireworks.....

it's not like this thing was going to be the same for 40 years.....

big blue and hairy
07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
I also think that Disney is giving themselves flexibility. January is always a very low attendance month, so if you're going to back something off, that is when you'd do it.

Also, with the statement that it's will be more often when it's busier, it's entirely possible that Fantasmic will be every day again when the busier time hits.

The one question I have is, Why Monday and Thursday? Why not a weekend day? Ok, so two questions.

:sulley:

DNS
07-23-2008, 06:36 PM
I am totally with Sgt Tigger on this. I'm still upset about the Osborne lights. I just don't understand these cuts to things that are so popular. Surely there are rides/attractions that are not as popular where they could save money. And I have to say that while they might need to cut some, those of us going to WDW are paying more with gas prices, etc., so it doesn't make sense to me to keep cutting things and giving people more reason to stay closer to home on vacation. Just my opinion.

Daisy'sMom
07-23-2008, 07:28 PM
This is just a perfect way to end my day. Like it wasn't bad enough, no, now they are changing Hollywood Studios, eliminating the nightly Fantasmic, and adding an American Idol thing. Can it get worse?:mad:

BluewaterBrad
07-23-2008, 09:15 PM
They will here about my dissatifaction!! Bad, Bad I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mickey:

Poolguy
07-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Sorry to see Fantasmic going to 2 nights a week. Such a cool show. This reminds of way back in the late 80s at Epcot when IllumiNations also had reduced viewings. 3 or 4 nights a week I think. Seems everyone suffered. Guests, the shops and the restaurants. On those off nights it was very quiet at Epcot after dark. I'm sure money was saved, but the money lost in the shops and restaurants with reduced numbers of guests had to be staggering. After a while the show came back to 7 nights and I'm willing to bet Fantasmic will too.

Carol
07-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Also, with the statement that it's will be more often when it's busier, it's entirely possible that Fantasmic will be every day again when the busier time hits.
:sulley:I'm sure it will run nightly when it's busy.

It's done that way at Disneyland. In fact during the slower months Fantasmic! only runs on the weekend.

Doug The Disney Man
07-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Earlier I mentioned this move was strange, but if it was to save for a MAJOR addition on the horizon it made sense. Star Tours 2, a new country or whatever. I also said that other parks NATIONWIDE and especially in ORLANDO were adding new stuff. Maybe it is out of desperation, but Disney isn't just NOT adding new stuff, they are taking away old and really popular stuff. Character meals, PI and now Fantasmic (albeit not entirely). BTW, Universal might be desperate, but then they're desperate on a global scale as they are adding parks in Dubai, South Korea and Singapore.

I must say I don't understand those of you who are saying, "There's no reason for me to go to the Studios now." Really?! Tower of Terror? Rock and Roller Coaster? Lights, Motors, Action? Eating and playing at Pizza Planet? Meet and Greets with virtually every Pixar character? Don't get me wrong, I know improvements are needed. The Backlot Tour, the Indy show, Star Tours and GMR all sorely in need updates. And, Sounds Dangerous is just stupid. But this has become my #2 park behind MK. Besides, it sounds like some changes are likely at least for the Indy Stunt Show and Star Tours.

Also, to those of you who feel the same show for 9 years gets old, what about Honey, I Shrunk the Audience? That opened in 1994 and wasn't that good to begin with. Or the whole Ellen's Energy thing? That's been the same for over 10 years, too, and I think that energy issues have changed since then. Plus Alex Trebek shaved! Fantasmic shows numerous timeless Disney classics, and to add some more clips isn't that hard as the premise is sound.

Vito
07-24-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm sure it will run nightly when it's busy.

It's done that way at Disneyland. In fact during the slower months Fantasmic! only runs on the weekend.Indeed, and they've been doing that sort of thing for a long time. There are even times where it will go down for extended periods for various reasons including rehabs, work on Tom Sawyer/Pirate island, etc.

I've mentioned this already, but I can almost guarantee at least 4-5 performances a week during the busy times, and it wouldn't surprise me to see 7+ shows per week.

They know how popular the show is, but if they show it every night during the slowest times of the year, you'll have a lot of empty seats.

During the busy season, they know that they need more shows or they will end up turning people away - and they do NOT want to turn away 1,000 or more people from a show like that. They're not stupid. They know that a packed Fantasmic house will make them money and keep people entertained, but unless you can come close to filling the amphitheater, it's not worth showing every night during the slow times.

Goes4FastPass
07-24-2008, 09:51 AM
I couldn't disagree more...

...it's the same thing....day in and out.....it's been there what? 9 years?.....

it's not like this thing was going to be the same for 40 years.....

The problem with this is, the the logic is locked out. Does this mean since the Great Movie Ride has barely had a last movie update since its opening it will only run 2 days a week? Instead of incorporating the latest IJones movie into the show let's cut it to 2 days a week. Instead of making the backlot tour contemporary and always exciting for new and returning guests let's just change it to the Disaster Canyon Experience - and run it 2 days a week.

Red Randal
07-24-2008, 10:28 AM
WHOA! Why's the part about Fantasmic shoved down at the end of that little tidbit of news.

Are you KIDDING me!?! Two nights a week!?! It's always mobbed even during the off-season.

What exactly are people supposed to do at night at Disney anymore? Pleasure Island is closed, Studios don't have a nighttime show 5 nights a week, AK closes at 5, and even Spectro isn't offered every night.

That's pretty darn crummy (and boy do I want to use much stronger words) from a company that's no doubt going to RAISE ticket prices next year, too.

Goes4FastPass
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
WHOA!...

What exactly are people supposed to do at night at Disney anymore?...

It's easy to predict the answer the that, Red.

FAKE PRESS RELEASE

We're proud to announce a new and exciting experience at Disney's Magic Kingdom. Due to the overwhelming success of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and now the Princess and Pirate Party, Beginning in 2009 Disney's Magic Kingdom will close every night at 7pm and on those nights one of the other parties isn't taking place, the Magic Kingdom will host Mickey's We Need The Cash So We're Making Every Night A Separate Hard Ticket Event. Families will gather to enjoy the magical thrill of seeing their VISA balance go up. Guests staying at Disney resorts may purchase their MWNTCSWMENASHTE tickets up to 180 days before their WDW vacation...

Catzle
07-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Just because an attraction has been there a long time doesn't mean it should go away or be reduced. Probably a percentage of attractions at Disney have been there a long time, it doesn't mean we cut them back or get rid of them. I look forward to Wishes every trip doesn't mean I want them to cut it down to two nights a week since it's been there awhile. People go back because they like what's there and look forward to their favorites. And what may be one persons favorite may not be another and that's O.K. that's why it's a great for everyone because there is so much to offer. And yes everyone does like to see new stuff too. I guess only time will tell.

princessgirls
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
It sounds like it is a way of cost-cutting. I'm sure that it is a very expensive show to run every night.
Just my opinion!
Julie:mickey:

SgtTigger
07-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I must say I don't understand those of you who are saying, "There's no reason for me to go to the Studios now." Really?! Tower of Terror? Rock and Roller Coaster? Lights, Motors, Action? Eating and playing at Pizza Planet? Meet and Greets with virtually every Pixar character? Don't get me wrong, I know improvements are needed. The Backlot Tour, the Indy show, Star Tours and GMR all sorely in need updates. And, Sounds Dangerous is just stupid. But this has become my #2 park behind MK. Besides, it sounds like some changes are likely at least for the Indy Stunt Show and Star Tours.

Also, to those of you who feel the same show for 9 years gets old, what about Honey, I Shrunk the Audience? That opened in 1994 and wasn't that good to begin with. Or the whole Ellen's Energy thing? That's been the same for over 10 years, too, and I think that energy issues have changed since then. Plus Alex Trebek shaved! Fantasmic shows numerous timeless Disney classics, and to add some more clips isn't that hard as the premise is sound.

Lets see I dont do Tower of Terror, Rock and Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Indy show.
The Backlot Tour and Sounds Dangerous are just a waste of time.
So why do I not want to go here.......... I think I have listed them..... To each his own and for me now I have no reason to go to the park......

SAHDad
07-24-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't do ToT (I might someday, but it's not on my must-do list), nor RnRC. Pizza Planet is fine, and it's nice to meet the Pixar characters, but I have pics & autographs from most, so it's less of a big deal.

We'll probably hit DHS, but only if we need to kill some time or are on a really long trip. It's always been the lowest on our list, but we tried to make Fantasmic. But, since we visit on the off-season, we'll probably skip it entirely next time around.

lockedoutlogic
07-24-2008, 09:22 PM
The problem with this is, the the logic is locked out. Does this mean since the Great Movie Ride has barely had a last movie update since its opening it will only run 2 days a week? Instead of incorporating the latest IJones movie into the show let's cut it to 2 days a week. Instead of making the backlot tour contemporary and always exciting for new and returning guests let's just change it to the Disaster Canyon Experience - and run it 2 days a week.

1. I was speaking about shows specifically....especially the nighttime ones......they do get old......that is why fireworks shows are updated every 10-20 years...minimum.....and parades are swapped out every 5 years or so......

that's just the history of disney parks.....

2. Rides are often stale and outdated.....but there is removal, replacement, reinvention to handle that situation....
And also....rides are one of several dozen of the average attractions in a park.....some people love it and go on it all the time.....some skip it and never will....others go every few trips.....

that's how rides and normal attractions are.....

a nighttime show is pushed as a "must do"....to end your day.....to EVERYONE in the park.....
with that comes an added emphasis on freshness.....

3. your example of the great movie ride is a good one....
except...they've been trying to find a way to take it down and redo it for years.....
the problem is one of volume.....WDW rides are designed by and large with high volume in mind.......
the great movie ride and can push 2K bodies through and hour...at least....

that's over 20,000 "butts in seats" per day....all day....
even a large show such as fantasmic is a limited attraction in terms of overall numbers and operating costs per person.....

and for the record.....the backlot tour has needed to be dozed for decades.....Indiana Jones stunt show is far from appealing after not being changed one bit in 20 years......and the movie ride can use and update and overhaul.....

many of the scenes in the movie ride are somewhat obscure......

alien.....westerns.....even casablanca.....will continue to fade further from the memories and are completely unknown to about 30 years worth of audience (And growing) at this point....

but when you handle high numbers....you automatically avoid the pink slip at WDW for years.....
always have.....always will.....

IloveDisney71
07-24-2008, 09:47 PM
I can't believe they would cut Fantasmic down to 2 nights! I've never been to a show that wasn't packed. It is a Disney classic. I think that guest demands will have it shown on a more regular basis ( I HOPE!!!). It's a must see for us during every trip.

Vito
07-24-2008, 11:52 PM
A few more of my thoughts based on some of the comments I'm reading.

1) Some have said that there's nothing for them at DHS without Fantasmic. So, are you saying that Fantasmic alone was enough of a reason to spend a whole day there, and without Fantasmic, there's no reason for you to go? I'm sort of confused. I mean, if there was nothing I liked at a park, I certainly wouldn't waste a whole day there. I'd get a park hopper and only show up for Fantasmic - and unless I missed something, can't you still do that? I mean, sure, you'll have to plan a little better in advance knowing that Fantasmic won't necessarily show every night (except potentially during the peak season), but is that such a big deal?

2) I personally enjoy DHS very much. I love ToT and RnRC, and two of my all time favorite attractions are Star Tours and Muppetvision. Yup, they're very dated, some people don't even bother with them, but I love them so much. It's partly nostalgia, partly the fact that I love Star Wars and the Muppets. Plus, that entire end of the park is so quiet at night and beautifully themed. I went to the park and enjoyed it before Fantasmic was there, and enjoyed it even more when they put in Fantasmic. I can still watch Fantasmic. Perhaps not every night, but at least I can still see it.

3) Some are saying that Fantasmic is packed, even during the off-season. I find that hard to believe. I've been to Fantasmic during the summer (busy season) and not had a 100% full show yet. I've seen shows that are mostly full, but I've never been to a "sellout". The last time I saw Fantasmic (last day in June or thereabouts, 4 years ago), they didn't even open up the "end" sections on both sides of the amphitheater.

I find it very difficult to believe that it will be packed every day during the slow times.

I'm curious as to those that are claiming this - have you actully been to WDW during the slow season? What month? How close to "full" was Fantasmic when you saw it? Was it a Saturday or a weeknight?

4) Some people are failing to recognize some very important factors in this:

Fantasmic costs a lot to run each show. Someone had stated $30,000, and while I don't know if that's true or not, I certainly believe that figure. It takes hundreds of CMs, there's a lot of fire/pyro/fireworks, etc. Cutting down from 7 shows to 2 could potentially save $150,000 a week.

Fantasmic will be cut down to 2 shows per week during the slower season. I guarantee that during the busier times there will be at least 3 or 4 shows per week, and during the busiest times I'd be willing to bet you'll see the show every single night of the week, and perhaps even 2 shows on certain nights like when DHS has EMHs at night.

5) Some have said "what's next, cutting back GMR or some other attraction to two days per week?". It's not the same thing. You can't start closing down attractions. Firstly, they're much, much, cheaper to keep them running. Fantasmic requires a huge cast of characters as well as CMs for crowd control, etc, and requires the park to often times be open well past "normal" closing time in order to handle the exiting guests after the show is over with. So in addition to the cost of the show itself, extra CMs are needed for guest assistance after the show is over. This means busses need to run later, CMs must work later as well as there having to be more of them in the park after the show. That all translates into more money, on top of the $30,000 to run the show.

Again, Disneyland's Fantasmic runs only on weekends during the slow season. That's it. That means other than the fireworks (which themselves are not shown every night during the slow season), you have no nighttime shows to watch. At WDW, Illuminations is every single night, 365 days a year, Wishes on most nights, and Spectromagic as well. That's in addition to a bare minimum of two Fantasmics per week, and again, I promise you'll see 4-7 per week during the busier season.

I've also heard some people claim that WDW is "wall-to-wall people" and that they haven't seen any downturn in crowds or attendance. That's simply not something you can tell during one vacation. You may have picked a busier week than you have in the past, or just simply picked "the right park on the right day" to experience bigger crowds than you remember. The fact of the matter is that the economy right now is not booming (look at stock market prices, interest rates, long term CD rates, money market funds, and mutual fund rates. they are ALL down). Oil prices are exceedingly high, and I personally know families that are feeling the crunch of this, and felt it a lot this past winter. Travel is most definitely down, and while you might not personally have seen it at WDW yourself, the numbers seem to bear out that recreational travel has been down somewhat, not just at WDW, but in general.

If cutting back on a show like Fantasmic during the slow season can help Disney's bottom line until the economy picks up and people can stop worrying about gas/fuel/oil prices a bit, then travel will increase and they can start going full tilt again.

I think we were somewhat spoiled by the fact that Fantasmic had been every night of the year for so long. It's an expensive show, and Disney isn't cutting it back just because they "can." It's a highly calculated financial move.

To me, that's one of the prices of going during the slower season. You gain the benefit of smaller crowds, but you may occasionally pay the price of shorter park hours and less shows. You won't miss out on seeing Fantasmic, you'll just have to schedule your time at WDW a little more carefully. That really shouldn't be too hard, as during the off-peak times there should be plenty of chance to see and do everything you want. Making sure to get a night of Fantasmic shouldn't be a problem.

I've said this before, but I'm sure we'd all love it if every park was open 24/7, every evening show was shown several times per night, etc. That would be great. We have to realize that as magic as Disney is, they can't do that, and regardless of whether or not you notice it, recreational spending is currently in a bit of a lull nationwide.

Goes4FastPass
07-25-2008, 09:44 AM
...I certainly wouldn't waste a whole day there. I'd get a park hopper and only show up for Fantasmic...

Yes, what Disney calls "Magic Your Way" increasingly is, "If you want to experience Disney World you need to 'hop' and add 'water parks and more' and stay at least a week."

SAHDad
07-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Vito - we are typically there in January, which is pretty off-season. And the times we have been there, while Fantasmic has not been standing room-only, it's been pretty packed.

There is other stuff there, but really, without Fantasmic, I have to weigh the attraction of Muppets, Star Tours and a couple of other things versus the transport time to the park, the time spent in DHS versus what I could be spending at MK, etc.

DHS used to be the park we hit to round out the day after AK. Now, it might be the "hit early in the morning, and go get lunch & do stuff elsewhere, because we're done at 10."

Gator
07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Disney has taken a turn for stupid. It started with removing the wand at Epcot and now this. What's next? Closing the parks on weekdays?

SgtTigger
07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
unless I missed something, can't you still do that?

No because it will only be 2 times a week..... can you think what it is going to be like....

If it is packed even when it has 2 showes a night what do you think it will be like at only 2 times a week.....

You will have to spend 4 hours in line just to get in.................

Catzle
07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
We never spend a whole day at Hollywood Studies, but we may do something in the morning than another park at night. Or go at night and catch the show than go back to the resort. That's why we love Park Hopping.

centralohio disneyfan
07-25-2008, 11:13 PM
I am simply amazed at some of the responses. Unless I read the announcement wrong, I don't believe that they are reducing the number of Fantasmic shows due to American Idol. I don't think that's what they were saying at all. All they did was give some of the additions to DHS, and there have been a few. I am certainly glad that most of you are not going to the American Idol attraction. That should reduce my wait in line. This has been the #1 show on TV for a few years. Why wouldn't Disney want to partner with it? And before all you naysayers come back with the fact that viewership has been down, it was STILL the most watched show on television. And what has all of this got to removing the wand at Epcot?

kbean
07-26-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm with everyone else. Not to happy with the cut back on Fantasmic shows. And not to excited about the American Idol. It'll be good laughs to watch people act a fool, but probably only good of a one time view. I've never watched an American Idol show.

2Epcot
07-27-2008, 02:51 PM

I'm surprised that Fantasmic is not getting as many people anymore. I haven not seen the show at WDW for a few years now since my last visit, but everytime I've been there it is full or mostly full. Fantasmic is one of my favorite evening shows at WDW ... even over Illuminations.

I'm sure it will run nightly when it's busy.

It's done that way at Disneyland. In fact during the slower months Fantasmic! only runs on the weekend.

That is true, though I find that whenever the show runs, the crowds are always about the same. There seems to be no reduction of people wanting to see it, even though it is an "old" show. Friday night I watched the second show at Disneyland, which is usually a little smaller crowd then the first show, but not by very much. Though I don't know how the seating capacity of Fantasmic at the Studios compares to the viewing area at Disneyland.

One of the problems with the show only being two days a week is sometimes the show is canceled do to the weather. I remember several years ago I had to go to the Studios three nights in a row just to catch one Fantasmic show becuase it was canceled previous two nights.

I agree with what some have said that going from 7 nights to 2 nights is very dramatic. I would think maybe 3 or 4 nights a week. Especially since people come and go at different times from the resort. Someone visiting on a long weekend, Friday through Monday, would not be able to see it at all.

grumpyguy
07-28-2008, 07:35 AM
as posted by others,i too am anti-idol.
it's almost like the "outside" world infiltrating
the escape of wdw..
we always tried to catch fantasmic a couple of times each trip.that's going to be a little tough
now.
just knowing it's not happening every night is
a little sad.

Sunshine1010
07-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Just a thought ---

Maybe they are canceling some of the shows because they are assuming that a lot of people will 'choose' the daily 'final contest' during the evening at American Idol. Perhaps they are figuring that will be a big draw for a while (since it's new), and since they are assuming the crowds will be significantly less at Fantasmic, they decided to cancel some shows....and they'll save some money in the process. Then, if the need arises....they would 'reinstate' more shows.

Nurse Kim
07-28-2008, 08:15 PM
We haven't gotten to see Fantasmic yet. We were planning to see it on our March trip. This really ***** to hear this.

Tekneek
07-31-2008, 01:12 PM
I just love this part...

On nights when Fantasmic! is not performed, Guests (with appropriate ticket media) will continue to have the opportunity to enjoy nightly fireworks spectaculars such as Wishes at the Magic Kingdom® Park and IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth at Epcot®.

Those of you with tickets that will get you into these other parks, can continue to enjoy those other parks and their nightly events, which are not the same as Fantasmic!, but we will pretend that they are actually on the same level for the purposes of this bit of condescending corporate double-talk.

Tekneek
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
as posted by others,i too am anti-idol.
it's almost like the "outside" world infiltrating
the escape of wdw...

It indicates to me that WDW is becoming more generic and developing fewer of its own concepts.

The requirements to do anything in the parks appear to have to meet one of the following criteria:

(1) must have something to do with the Pirates movie franchise/concept;
(2) must have something to do with Pixar;
(3) must have something to do with High School Musical;
(4) must be developed/originated outside of WDI/Disney.

I know there are a few exceptions over the past several years, but I certainly have been left with the perception that most new things fall into one or more of the 4 areas mentioned above.

big blue and hairy
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
It indicates to me that WDW is becoming more generic and developing fewer of its own concepts.

The requirements to do anything in the parks appear to have to meet one of the following criteria:

(1) must have something to do with the Pirates movie franchise/concept;
(2) must have something to do with Pixar;
(3) must have something to do with High School Musical;
(4) must be developed/originated outside of WDI/Disney.

I know there are a few exceptions over the past several years, but I certainly have been left with the perception that most new things fall into one or more of the 4 areas mentioned above.
While I'm not defending the AI attraction, I really don't know what I think about it, as to #4, did you have a problem with it when Disney-MGM opened Star Tours, or The Indiana Jones Stunt Show? What about the Twightlight Zone Tower Of Terror or Rockin' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (not a Lyric Street or WDR band). If those don't bother you, then the arguement is illogical.

locutus
08-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the update!

First they close PI and now cut 5 shows a week of Fantasmic. I know they want to cut costs but cmon. I cant tell you how many times I have wanted to see Fantasmic, gotten there over an hour before the show and couldnt get it. your right...how hard is it going to see when its only available twice a week. Its not as if the show were unpopular. I think its time we all start boycotting Disney and go elsewhere until corporate realizes that cutting so many things will just turn people away and not encourage attendance. People complain and still go, Disney will not care what we say. We stop going they may reconsider.

BMan62
08-01-2008, 01:54 PM
People complain and still go, Disney will not care what we say. We stop going they may reconsider.

I think that is the whole point of them cutting back - people have stopped going. Actually, more to the point is that people are not booking rooms and packages for Q1 '09, so they feel they have to save some money.

From an e-mail newsletter that I received today:

Disney sees slowing ad sales, park hotel bookings

Walt Disney Co said park bookings were flat and it had detected weakness in advertising sales in the current quarter, sparking fears that U.S. economic woes will hit its results and sending its shares down 2 percent.

KAT1811
08-01-2008, 02:09 PM
I think its time we all start boycotting Disney and go elsewhere until corporate realizes that cutting so many things will just turn people away and not encourage attendance.

I call that cutting your nose off to spite your face. Two or ten shows of Fantasmic! there isn't a vacation destination in the world that I would rather take my children to. As devistating as this may be to some there are still a zillion other things to do at WDW at night.

locutus
08-02-2008, 03:50 AM
I call that cutting your nose off to spite your face. Two or ten shows of Fantasmic! there isn't a vacation destination in the world that I would rather take my children to. As devistating as this may be to some there are still a zillion other things to do at WDW at night.

Why cutting your nose to spite your face? Prices rise and entertainment drops. And please tell me a few things to do at night. Without PI soon it looks to me I would have to sit and watch tv in my room while the kids are in bed. Not many more options for us grown ups when the parks are done. Except for maybe Citywalk at Universal.

Vito
08-02-2008, 05:03 AM
Why cutting your nose to spite your face? Prices rise and entertainment drops. And please tell me a few things to do at night. Without PI soon it looks to me I would have to sit and watch tv in my room while the kids are in bed. Not many more options for us grown ups when the parks are done. Except for maybe Citywalk at Universal.Guess that depends on when you're going. If you're going during the busy season, the parks are open until 11 or midnight, plus Extra Magic Hours if you want to do that. I can't think of anything much better than walking around a very quiet Magic Kingdom at 2 am after watching the fireworks together. I certianly wouldn't choose a nightclub in lieu of that. I can go to nightclubs anywhere - there's only one Magic Kingdom. Isn't that why we go to WDW and not Universal or the nearest city?

And additionally, if it's the crowded season, Fantasmic will definitely be more than 2 times per week.

As for other nighttime activity, I don't know. Again, the best I've got is the parks at night (especially EMH nights), a quiet walk around your resort and a late night dip in the pool when most everyone is in bed. The Boardwalk has several places that are open until 1am-2am... Not sure if these are all still open, but according to Intercot:

Atlantic Dance Hall
Feel the live Latin rhythms sizzle at this newly themed club. It's hot, hot, hot! Lounge and dance club for 21 and over only.
(Valid, proper photo ID required.)
Hours: Tuesday-Saturday -- 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
Schedule: Tuesday, Wednesday & Saturday are VIDEO DJ Nights, playing some of the best music videos on a large screen.
Thursday &Friday nights are DJ only nights, playing a mix of today's top hits.
Please Note: The Atlantic Dance Hall may be booked for wedding receptions and other special events and does accommodate live bands for those events when requested.

Jellyrolls
A Dueling piano bar where you choose the play list.
Take part in non-stop live entertainment in a casual atmosphere.
Admission Ticket required
21 and over only. (Valid, proper photo ID required.)
Hours: 9:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.

Those are in addition to a few different places to eat (ESPN Club, Big River Grille & Brewing Works) that are open until midnight or later.

Downtown Disney still has quite a bit open late, you could catch a movie, grab a bite or just take a walk lake-side, etc.

I think if you do some digging you'll find there's plenty of nighttime activites, many of which cost nothing and in my opinion can be a much more enjoyable experience than dancing with a bunch of drunk and/or sweaty people in a club.

Adventurers Club and Comedy Warehouse will be missed, yes, but honestly, how often did you visit there, and at what hour?

I don't know - personally the things that I enjoy about WDW are the things that are exclusive experiences, and really I never found Pleasure Island as much of a unique experience. I found most of it to be fairly generic and un-Disney.

By the time the parks close, I'm about out of energy anyway, especially if it's 11 or midnight or so. By the time I get back to the hotel it's usually close to 1am. Even during the "slow" season, there's often a park open late with EMH (usually at least until 11pm), and even if there isn't by the time you get back to the hotel it could be 11 or 12, and there's really no time to head over to DD/PI after that. Perfect time for a quiet coctail poolside or a quiet walk around the resort.

Tekneek
08-02-2008, 10:09 AM
While I'm not defending the AI attraction, I really don't know what I think about it, as to #4, did you have a problem with it when Disney-MGM opened Star Tours, or The Indiana Jones Stunt Show? What about the Twightlight Zone Tower Of Terror or Rockin' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (not a Lyric Street or WDR band). If those don't bother you, then the arguement is illogical.

My understanding is that Tower of Terror and the coaster were developed by WDI, who then approached Aerosmith if they would like to be involved and the controlling entities for Twilight Zone. If you are aware of Aerosmith coming up with the coaster idea and Disney bringing them in, or Twilight Zone folks coming up with the Tower of Terror concept first, please share it with me. Granted, those are not marketed by Disney names/brands, but it works.

As far as Star Tours goes, I know that Ron Miller was the first to approach George Lucas about rides like that, and that goes back at least 25 years. It and Indiana Jones are real properties with lots of imagination behind them. American Idol is just one of those "reality shows" dreamed up out of a desire for the big networks to stop paying creative people. I see no reason to think its entry into a theme park is any less of a cheap production (relatively speaking).

Just like I would not have a problem with a Pixar thing here or there, I don't have a problem with 1 or 2 Star Wars-themed attractions or Indiana Jones-themed attractions. When it feels like the vast majority of new stuff is either based on Pirates, Pixar, High School Musical, or non-Disney property, it gets a little old to me. Maybe it works for others... Expedition Everest made me want to go, not because it was a coaster, but because it was something new, not tied into any other marketing scheme and just sounded like a brilliant idea. I get the impression that those kinds of concepts are getting harder and harder to sell internally.

aurorafan
08-04-2008, 09:14 AM
3) Some are saying that Fantasmic is packed, even during the off-season. I find that hard to believe. I've been to Fantasmic during the summer (busy season) and not had a 100% full show yet. I've seen shows that are mostly full, but I've never been to a "sellout". The last time I saw Fantasmic (last day in June or thereabouts, 4 years ago), they didn't even open up the "end" sections on both sides of the amphitheater.

I find it very difficult to believe that it will be packed every day during the slow times.

If you haven't been to Fantasmic in 4 years how can you make any assumptions about what people who have been more recently have or haven't seen? From what I've read attendance has been rising steadily for at least that long (after a dropping off after 9/11), so it stands to reason that Fantasmic crowds would increase as well. We went the first Sunday in June this year and it was standing room only (it was also the first Star Wars weekend so I'm sure that played into it). We also went on a weekday (Mon. or Tues., can't remember which) in Feb. and again it was standing room only.

I agree with a lot of your points, I'm just not sure how you can be so sure of your assumptions if you haven't been to a show in 4 years?

big blue and hairy
08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
My understanding is that Tower of Terror and the coaster were developed by WDI, who then approached Aerosmith if they would like to be involved and the controlling entities for Twilight Zone. If you are aware of Aerosmith coming up with the coaster idea and Disney bringing them in, or Twilight Zone folks coming up with the Tower of Terror concept first, please share it with me. Granted, those are not marketed by Disney names/brands, but it works. The coaster itself is an off the shelf coaster the WDI themed (very well I might add)

As far as Star Tours goes, I know that Ron Miller was the first to approach George Lucas about rides like that, and that goes back at least 25 years. It and Indiana Jones are real properties with lots of imagination behind them. From what you just said, it sounds like Miller approached Lucas, an outside entity to help them make a ride.
American Idol is just one of those "reality shows" dreamed up out of a desire for the big networks to stop paying creative people. I see no reason to think its entry into a theme park is any less of a cheap production (relatively speaking). Don't misunderstand, I'm not jumping up and down about AI either, but your arguement basically boils down to, you don't like American Idol. Certainly it'll be a better attraction than Sounds Dangerous, which is a ridiculous waste of space and probably a great way to pass germs...

Vito
08-05-2008, 12:48 AM
If you haven't been to Fantasmic in 4 years how can you make any assumptions about what people who have been more recently have or haven't seen? From what I've read attendance has been rising steadily for at least that long (after a dropping off after 9/11), so it stands to reason that Fantasmic crowds would increase as well. We went the first Sunday in June this year and it was standing room only (it was also the first Star Wars weekend so I'm sure that played into it). We also went on a weekday (Mon. or Tues., can't remember which) in Feb. and again it was standing room only.

I agree with a lot of your points, I'm just not sure how you can be so sure of your assumptions if you haven't been to a show in 4 years?Last time I was at WDW was during the crowded summer. Nearly every time I've been to WDW has been the crowded summer. Not like Christmas or other major holidays, but still, by no means were the crowds "thin". So even if crowds are rising, I can't see how there would be more people at WDW during the "slow" season of 2008/2009 than there would be during the summer season of 2004.

Unless Fantasmic is more popular today than it ever has been, I don't see how Fantasmic would be "full" every night during the slow season. It doesn't make any logical sense. I'd be perfectly happy to admit I'm wrong if someone would be so kind as to post a photo of Fantasmic from say, mid-week during mid-September of a 100% capacity Fantasmic.

I'm not suggesting Fantasmic is not popular or that it's runing half full. But there seemed to be some people implying that it's hard to even catch the show or that people are getting turned away from "off season" performances.

locutus
08-05-2008, 01:18 AM
Last time I was at WDW was during the crowded summer. Nearly every time I've been to WDW has been the crowded summer. Not like Christmas or other major holidays, but still, by no means were the crowds "thin". So even if crowds are rising, I can't see how there would be more people at WDW during the "slow" season of 2008/2009 than there would be during the summer season of 2004.

Unless Fantasmic is more popular today than it ever has been, I don't see how Fantasmic would be "full" every night during the slow season. It doesn't make any logical sense. I'd be perfectly happy to admit I'm wrong if someone would be so kind as to post a photo of Fantasmic from say, mid-week during mid-September of a 100% capacity Fantasmic.

I'm not suggesting Fantasmic is not popular or that it's runing half full. But there seemed to be some people implying that it's hard to even catch the show or that people are getting turned away from "off season" performances.

Sorry I dont have a photo Vito ( i dont normally take pictures of the bleachers). Last September after the kids went back to school I traveled to Florida for a few days to see my grandfather for his birthday. I figured to go see Fantasmic with him ( when I take my children- 6 and 4) the effects scare my daughter. We went almost 40 minutes before showtime and there wasnt a seat to be had, and people were jamming for a spot to see. O yea--this was on a Wednesday.

KAT1811
08-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Although I am sure there are quite a few performances that are full we usually travel in September and have no problem walking right up about 15 minutes before show time. The kids won't sit much longer waiting and to tell you the truth I don't want to either.

Everyone breathe :hands:

Not to take sides but . . . it works for the MK with Wishes and saving $30,000 a night even a few nights a week is a significant cost cut and raises profits. Just looking at it from a business owner standpoint.

Stickey
08-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Vito, you are making inaccurate assumptions regarding the Fantasmic attendance.

The following statements are based on facts and ACTUAL EXPERIENCE. WDW attendance has been rising steadily in the past 5 years. The previous "slow" seasons(September and December) have become moderate to crowded.
The Free DDP promotion has directly led to significantly larger crowds in September. We have seen Fantasmic each time during our September trips to WDW for the past 4 consecutive years. The least crowded show, 9/04, was approximately 75%-80% capacity. The 9/05-9/07 shows were at 90%+ full, all on non-weekend nights.

Disney is cutting back on the daily shows for two reasons: to reduce costs and to attempt to stear guests toward the AI show. This is not an issue of declining attendance of Fantasmic.

locutus
08-06-2008, 03:01 AM
Although I am sure there are quite a few performances that are full we usually travel in September and have no problem walking right up about 15 minutes before show time. The kids won't sit much longer waiting and to tell you the truth I don't want to either.

Everyone breathe :hands:

Not to take sides but . . . it works for the MK with Wishes and saving $30,000 a night even a few nights a week is a significant cost cut and raises profits. Just looking at it from a business owner standpoint.

Kat--is that what Fantasmic costs's nightly? I dont believe it does. And then it brings up another point==they are saving money by not doing the show, leaving less for us to see while they raise prices.

KAT1811
08-06-2008, 09:19 AM
That is what I read on another thread. Just repeating what I have heard. Given all of the performers and pyrotechnics I would be very surprised to see it cost much less and not at all surprised to see it cost more.

I personally think you're nit picking on the less to see part. Taking a 25 minute show out a few nights a week hardly makes a dent in my 12+ hour days in WDW. Disney is a business pure and simple, a for profit entity. Any good business tries to maximize it's profits and decrease it's costs. I understand you may love Fantasmic! which is evident from your posts but it is what it is. No one is crying that Wishes isn't every night of the week.

Tekneek
08-06-2008, 11:37 AM
No one is crying that Wishes isn't every night of the week.

Has it ever been going every night of the week on a regular basis? I can't remember if they started cutting back before Wishes debuted or not.

GrumpyFan
08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I think this is a combination of 2 things.
1) Forecasted downturn in bookings for next year. This is based on their most recent financial statements where they said bookings were down 1% for the most recent quarter. January and February are the slowest months of the year, so if bookings are down for Spring and Summer, one could only guesstimate that Fall and Winter will be slightly off as well.
2) Opening of the American Idol experience. I know a lot of people here don't like the concept behind this new show that's being built, because it's not "Disney". Well, the fact is, almost 30 million people watch this show on a weekly basis, which is huge.

So, they're probably anticipating that a park as small as DHS, hosting a nighttime (finale) version of this show will draw most of their guests in to see it. I'm just wondering if the finale will be held in the same building as the day time show or one of the other bigger theatres at DHS.

BMan62
08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Has it ever been going every night of the week on a regular basis? I can't remember if they started cutting back before Wishes debuted or not.

I believe that you will find that, unless there is an after-hours hard-ticket event, Wishes is shown every night.

Tekneek
08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
I believe that you will find that, unless there is an after-hours hard-ticket event, Wishes is shown every night.

Has that always been the case? Maybe I am thinking about pre-Wishes days. I think I can remember being at WDW at a time when MK was closing at 7 PM and there were no fireworks on those days (no hard ticket event on those couple of nights either). For a night event, you either had to go to Epcot (Illuminations)or the Studios (Fantasmic). This was during the Eisner days, so...

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
09-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I, as several others are, am discouraged that Fantasmic! will only run twice a week. This is a killer for so many people. American Idol experience? Come on Disney, get your head above water and know that you'll be getting thousands of heated letters over this. Build something new for American Idol if you're so set on having something...Putting Fantasmic! on only twice a week is like saying they'd only run Splash Mountain on Wednesday and Saturdays....and Walt help us if that's the route they ever take.

I'd go on, but I'll refrain. Feeling very heated right now.:mad:

Chris :hatter:

Sunshine1010
09-17-2008, 08:45 PM
I'm a little confused....

Are they cancelling 2 of the shows a week, or are they only showing 2 shows a week?

And...what would be respective nights be for each?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
09-17-2008, 08:53 PM
They are only showing it twice a week.

There isn't a set day of when that will be. I'm assuming one during the week and one on the weekend.

MickeysEars
09-17-2008, 10:25 PM
wow, this seems to be a subject that people are very passionate about. That being said, i am going to treat it like any other attraction change, adjust my days and try to hit it when it is availible. what other options do I have. I will make a dinner/fantasmic show reservation and hope for the best.

DigitalDaredevil
09-18-2008, 02:56 AM
American Idol better than Fantasmic? Not a chance! I don't like the limited showings of Fantasmic. Everytime I have gone, which is in the off season, the theater is packed.
Who comes up with this stuff?

Tekneek
09-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Who comes up with this stuff?

Hmmm... Good question. However, stop worrying about cutbacks in the parks, folks! What you really need to look at are the new DVC units going up! Hope you have enough DVC points to catch a Fantasmic! while you're here, of course!

MouseDAD74
09-18-2008, 05:22 PM
When I become President of Walt Disney World Resorts, I promise to run the Parks as Walt would. With a product I can be proud of first, and worry about the price second.:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
09-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Terrible news!! American Idol is trash. Sounds like HS will be a 1/2 day or 3/4 day trip at most!!:mickey: